From: ricforduk on
On 15 Feb, 23:19, syd_p <sydneypue...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 15 Feb, 23:07, Mladen Gogala <n...(a)email.here.invalid> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 11:33:40 -0800, joel garry wrote:
> > > Have you set things up so someone can connect remotely as sys there?
> > > Connecting locally merely means the local user has group rights.
>
> > The OP has asked the same question on the DBI group and Jared Still, of
> > the "Perl for an Oracle DBA" fame, has given him the same answer I did...
>
> > --http://mgogala.byethost5.com
>
> Hi Guys,
> I am the OP and actually I have only asked the question on this group.
> I kind of thought the answer lies in the Oracle world, hence my
> posting in this group.
> I guess I did not phrase the question very well.
> The problem is that I have a selection of scripts that dont like  "sys
> as sysdba" as a username.
> Dont know why  and I dont want to mess with the scripts.
> What I need is a username of one word (not three that makes the
> scripts barf)
> that has the powers to create tablespaces and users in a database that
> I created with dbca.
>
> Maybe that is possible? If so please help me.
> Thanks for your input so far!
>
> Syd

You could try this:

SQL> create user dbauser identified by xxxxxx;

User created.

SQL> grant dba to dbauser;

Grant succeeded.

SQL> conn dbauser/xxxxxx
Connected.
SQL>

SQL> create tablespace test1 datafile 'test1.dbf' size 10M;

Tablespace created.

SQL> create user test1 identified by test1;

User created.

SQL> drop tablespace test1 including contents and datafiles;

Tablespace dropped.

SQL> drop user test1;

User dropped.

SQL> sho user
USER is "DBAUSER"

From: gazzag on
On 15 Feb, 23:19, syd_p <sydneypue...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
> I am the OP and actually I have only asked the question on this group.
> I kind of thought the answer lies in the Oracle world, hence my
> posting in this group.
> I guess I did not phrase the question very well.
> The problem is that I have a selection of scripts that dont like  "sys
> as sysdba" as a username.
> Dont know why  and I dont want to mess with the scripts.

> What I need is a username of one word (not three that makes the
> scripts barf)
> that has the powers to create tablespaces and users in a database that
> I created with dbca.

Use the login SYSTEM instead of SYS.

> Maybe that is possible? If so please help me.
> Thanks for your input so far!
>
> Syd

HTH
-g
From: Mladen Gogala on
On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 06:29:42 -0800, gazzag wrote:

> If he requires a login to a database that can create users, tablespaces
> and what-have-you, the SYSTEM login is all that he needs to use, rather
> than "SYS AS SYSDBA".

I agree. But than again, there are many things better than a Perl script
for doing things like that, sqlplus and SQL*Developer, to name two. There
is also this amphibian thingy, popular for reasons beyond my
comprehension and many others.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com
From: Mladen Gogala on
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 15:19:11 -0800, syd_p wrote:

> Hi Guys,
> I am the OP and actually I have only asked the question on this group. I
> kind of thought the answer lies in the Oracle world, hence my posting in
> this group.
> I guess I did not phrase the question very well. The problem is that I
> have a selection of scripts that dont like "sys as sysdba" as a
> username.
> Dont know why and I dont want to mess with the scripts. What I need is
> a username of one word (not three that makes the scripts barf)
> that has the powers to create tablespaces and users in a database that I
> created with dbca.
>
> Maybe that is possible? If so please help me. Thanks for your input so
> far!
>
> Syd

Syd, what are you actually trying to do? Logging in as SYS is normally
done to shut down or start up the database. There are very few things
that require the SYSDBA privilege. The only exception to the rule is
using the X$ tables but not even that should be done carelessly. Reading
some of the X$ tables can greatly increase latch activity and severely
impact the system.
Starting and stopping database from a Perl script is a very unusual
choice and should be reconsidered very carefully.

--
http://mgogala.freehostia.com
From: gazzag on
On 16 Feb, 13:57, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Syd, what are you actually trying to do? Logging in as SYS is normally
> done to shut down or start up the database. There are very few things
> that require the SYSDBA privilege. The only exception to the rule is
> using the X$ tables but not even that should be done carelessly. Reading
> some of the X$ tables can greatly increase latch activity and severely
> impact the system.
> Starting and stopping database from a Perl script is a very unusual
> choice and should be reconsidered very carefully.

Mladen,

From what I gather, the OP states: