From: z1hou1 on
Hi,
I am running a sqlldr command line on Solaris and the data file that I
need to load WILL not have an extension. On DOS/Windows, that is not
an issue since I can simply append a "." to the file name and sqlldr
recognizes it. On Solaris/Unix, it expects a file with the explicit
"." at the end of the file name.

So if the data file name is accountInputFile (note no dot or
extension), sqlldr responds by saying that the file name it expects is
accountInputFile.dat if I do not specify anything other than
data=accountInputFile.

If I do specify data=accountInputFile. as in windows/dos for a similar
situation, sqlldr attempts to find a file called "accountInputFile."
with the explicit "." at the end of the file.!

In short, on Solaris, there is, for me, no way of making sqlldr load a
data file with no extension and no "." (dot).

Can someone help me please?
From: Terry Dykstra on
"z1hou1" <z1hou1(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I am running a sqlldr command line on Solaris and the data file that I
> need to load WILL not have an extension. On DOS/Windows, that is not
> an issue since I can simply append a "." to the file name and sqlldr
> recognizes it. On Solaris/Unix, it expects a file with the explicit
> "." at the end of the file name.
>
> So if the data file name is accountInputFile (note no dot or
> extension), sqlldr responds by saying that the file name it expects is
> accountInputFile.dat if I do not specify anything other than
> data=accountInputFile.
>
> If I do specify data=accountInputFile. as in windows/dos for a similar
> situation, sqlldr attempts to find a file called "accountInputFile."
> with the explicit "." at the end of the file.!
>
> In short, on Solaris, there is, for me, no way of making sqlldr load a
> data file with no extension and no "." (dot).
>
> Can someone help me please?

put double quotes around the filename

--
Terry Dykstra

From: z1hou1 on
No sir. I have tried that too. It still comes back and with the
SQL*Loader-500 error, File not found and cannot find filename.dat
If I enclose it within quotes (single or double) and also put a "." at
the end of it, it goes back to the original post, sqlldr expects an
explicit filename with a "." at the end of it resident.
..
What is puzzling is this. The ls command recognizes the file without
any wildcard characters. The unix version of sqlldr is doing something
else with the parsing.
..
Regards,
z1hou1
From: John Hurley on
On Feb 18, 2:55 pm, z1hou1 <z1h...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

snip

> Hi,
> I am running a sqlldr command line on Solaris and the data file that I
> need to load WILL not have an extension. On DOS/Windows, that is not
> an issue since I can simply append a "." to the file name and sqlldr
> recognizes it. On Solaris/Unix, it expects a file with the explicit
> "." at the end of the file name.
>
> So if the data file name is accountInputFile (note no dot or
> extension), sqlldr responds by saying that the file name it expects is
> accountInputFile.dat if I do not specify anything other than
> data=accountInputFile.
>
> If I do specify data=accountInputFile. as in windows/dos for a similar
> situation, sqlldr attempts to find a file called "accountInputFile."
> with the explicit "." at the end of the file.!
>
> In short, on Solaris, there is, for me, no way of making sqlldr load a
> data file with no extension and no "." (dot).
>
> Can someone help me please?

It is always helpful in posts like this to specify what version of
oracle you are using and what version of an operating system, etc.

Depending on oracle version there are some potential other ways than
sqlldr to get data loaded from an os file.

The easy solution is to rename and/or copy the input file to include
a .dat suffix ...
From: z1hou1 on
Versions of db and o/s
Oracle version 10.2.0.4
Solaris 8

At the moment, the file is presented the way it is and I would like to
explore the possibility that sqlldr can recognize a file without a "."
or an extension. If there is absolutely no way that sqlldr cannot
recognize a file with an extension, or ends with a ".", I will
certainly rename the file before processing again st sqlldr.

Regards,
z1hou1