From: James D. Andrews on
Do I need to use a 64-bit OS with 4GB RAM, or will 32-bit work? I was
reading today that the 32-bit will only support 3GB. Don't know how true
that is.

I suppose it would be nice to know before I go and buy an OS.

From: Jeff Strickland on
32-bit is fine. 4G is the max that 32-bit will take, you don't need 64-bit
unless you wanted to use higher amounts of RAM. I'm not certain, but I
_think_ that your decision to get a 32-bit or 64-bit OS is driven by the
motherboard, not the RAM. To be sure, the 32-bit system will not see any
more than 4G of RAM, but I'm not sure if this is a constraint of the OS or
the hardware, or both. What I'm trying to say is that if you bought a 64-bit
OS and put it onto a 32-bit system, you still would not see more than 4Gs of
RAM -- which is the part I am not certain about ...

Win XP Pro works really well with 4G of RAM.

From: JD on
On 02/04/2010 6:55 PM, James D. Andrews wrote:
> Do I need to use a 64-bit OS with 4GB RAM, or will 32-bit work? I was
> reading today that the 32-bit will only support 3GB. Don't know how true
> that is.
>
> I suppose it would be nice to know before I go and buy an OS.
>

> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news(a)netfront.net ---

Your CPU is 64 bit, its a new system it will run x64 no problems,
however if you want to run XP 32bit (there is ofcoarse XP x64, but skip
that and go to win7 if your going x64) or whatever you can still install
your 4gb of ram as it has PAE (Physical Address Extension) however you
cannot install any more than 4Gb with a 32 bit OS

if you are buying an OS you will probably find that win7 is cheaper than
XP, if your buying the full retail version you get both 32 and 64 bit
versions (so you could try one out before activating) unfortunatley the
OEM versions are ether 32 or 64 bit so you will have to choose.

I use the 64 bit version of win7 on my main machine, but have the 32bit
version installed on the older machine as there is a driver missing for
one of the devices on the NFORCE 4 chipset, both are good.

PAE:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEdrv.mspx

JD

From: sandy58 on
On Apr 2, 7:55 pm, "James D. Andrews" <jamesdandr...(a)att.net> wrote:
> Do I need to use a 64-bit OS with 4GB RAM, or will 32-bit work?  I was
> reading today that the 32-bit will only support 3GB.  Don't know how true
> that is.
>
> I suppose it would be nice to know before I go and buy an OS.
>
> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: n...(a)netfront.net ---

32-bit won't use 4gb ram. 3gb is about it.
64-bit will use as much as you can get in.
From: Jeff Strickland on

"sandy58" <aleckie68(a)googlemail.com> wrote in message
On Apr 2, 7:55 pm, "James D. Andrews" <jamesdandr...(a)att.net> wrote:
> Do I need to use a 64-bit OS with 4GB RAM, or will 32-bit work? I was
> reading today that the 32-bit will only support 3GB. Don't know how true
> that is.
>
> I suppose it would be nice to know before I go and buy an OS.
>
> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: n...(a)netfront.net ---

32-bit won't use 4gb ram. 3gb is about it.
64-bit will use as much as you can get in.

<JS>
I'm using all 4G of RAM in my machine. I have 32-bit XP Pro.

</JS>

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: RAM voltage