From: James D. Andrews on
Trying to choose RAM for a new mobo - a BIOSTAR MCP6P M2+ running an AMD
Sempron.

(This combo was picked primarily for PRICE, but also considering known
compatibility, other factors, and hundreds of positive reviews)

So, the problem I'm having in selection is picking RAM with consideration to
voltage.

I couldn't find RAM voltage specs on the Biostar site.

A couple people stated that the voltage defaults to 1.95V

Do I need 1.95 and above or 1.95 and below?

The long list of chips that meet my other needs and qualifications ranges
from 1.8V - 2.2V

From: James D. Andrews on

"James D. Andrews" <jamesdandrews(a)att.net> wrote in message
> Trying to choose RAM for a new mobo - a BIOSTAR MCP6P M2+ running an AMD
> Sempron.
>
> (This combo was picked primarily for PRICE, but also considering known
> compatibility, other factors, and hundreds of positive reviews)
>
> So, the problem I'm having in selection is picking RAM with consideration
> to voltage.
>
> I couldn't find RAM voltage specs on the Biostar site.
>
> A couple people stated that the voltage defaults to 1.95V
>
> Do I need 1.95 and above or 1.95 and below?
>
> The long list of chips that meet my other needs and qualifications ranges
> from 1.8V - 2.2V

Whoops! I forgot to mention, I'm looking at DDR2, either 800 or 1066
4GB (2x2GB)

From: JD on
On 02/04/2010 4:17 PM, James D. Andrews wrote:
> "James D. Andrews"<jamesdandrews(a)att.net> wrote in message
>> Trying to choose RAM for a new mobo - a BIOSTAR MCP6P M2+ running an AMD
>> Sempron.
>>
>> (This combo was picked primarily for PRICE, but also considering known
>> compatibility, other factors, and hundreds of positive reviews)
>>
>> So, the problem I'm having in selection is picking RAM with consideration
>> to voltage.
>>
>> I couldn't find RAM voltage specs on the Biostar site.
>>
>> A couple people stated that the voltage defaults to 1.95V
>>
>> Do I need 1.95 and above or 1.95 and below?
>>
>> The long list of chips that meet my other needs and qualifications ranges
>> from 1.8V - 2.2V
>>

> Whoops! I forgot to mention, I'm looking at DDR2, either 800 or 1066
> 4GB (2x2GB)
>

> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news(a)netfront.net ---

The manual for your Mobo:
http://www.biostar-usa.com/upload/Manual/N61PB-M2S_090918_B.zip

Your motherboard supports 1.95v, 2.0v, 2.05 and 2.1 the default voltage
is 1.95v

I can recommend the OCZ DDR2 800Mhz Platinum XTC 2Gb Kits (I have 2 of
them, 4gb in the media centre downstairs) part number OCZ2P8002GK,
Voltage 2.1v, and I see they have come down in price also.

JD
From: James D. Andrews on

"JD" <No.Reply(a)Sorry.com> wrote in message
> On 02/04/2010 4:17 PM, James D. Andrews wrote:
>> "James D. Andrews"<jamesdandrews(a)att.net> wrote in message
>>> Trying to choose RAM for a new mobo - a BIOSTAR MCP6P M2+ running an AMD
>>> Sempron.
SNIP SNIP

>>> So, the problem I'm having in selection is picking RAM with
>>> consideration
>>> to voltage.

SNIP SNIP
Do I need 1.95 and above or 1.95 and below?

>>> The long list of chips that meet my other needs and qualifications
>>> ranges
>>> from 1.8V - 2.2V

>> Whoops! I forgot to mention, I'm looking at DDR2, either 800 or 1066
>> 4GB (2x2GB)
> The manual for your Mobo:
> http://www.biostar-usa.com/upload/Manual/N61PB-M2S_090918_B.zip
>
> Your motherboard supports 1.95v, 2.0v, 2.05 and 2.1 the default voltage is
> 1.95v
>
> I can recommend the OCZ DDR2 800Mhz Platinum XTC 2Gb Kits (I have 2 of
> them, 4gb in the media centre downstairs) part number OCZ2P8002GK, Voltage
> 2.1v, and I see they have come down in price also.
>
> JD

Thanks JD
You come through again.

The OCZ Platinum was actually at the top of my list, nice to know you
recommend it.

However, I hate to be a pest, but ...

I was reading through a gazillion sites today and came across a possible
problem:
One site said the Sempron will not support memory more than 667s. Another
said 800s. Another said 400s. But I've read of people using 1066s.

AMD site is good for bringing on a mental breakdown.

I'm so confused. Do you know what my Sempron 140 Sargas will support for
memory?

From: Paul on
James D. Andrews wrote:
> "James D. Andrews" <jamesdandrews(a)att.net> wrote in message
>> Trying to choose RAM for a new mobo - a BIOSTAR MCP6P M2+ running an AMD
>> Sempron.
>>
>> (This combo was picked primarily for PRICE, but also considering known
>> compatibility, other factors, and hundreds of positive reviews)
>>
>> So, the problem I'm having in selection is picking RAM with consideration
>> to voltage.
>>
>> I couldn't find RAM voltage specs on the Biostar site.
>>
>> A couple people stated that the voltage defaults to 1.95V
>>
>> Do I need 1.95 and above or 1.95 and below?
>>
>> The long list of chips that meet my other needs and qualifications ranges
>> from 1.8V - 2.2V
>>

> Whoops! I forgot to mention, I'm looking at DDR2, either 800 or 1066
> 4GB (2x2GB)

All memories "operate" at 1.8V (for DDR2), because that is the JEDEC
agreed standard. Enthusiast memory may fail to meet timing at 1.8V,
so the manufacturer may say "meets timing at 2.1V". But all DDR2 should
do something, when 1.8V is applied.

You would hope, that if a memory product is in that situation, that the
SPD would not call up the specified timings. For example, say a memory was
DDR2-1066 6-6-6-18 at 2.1V. For that memory to start without crashing,
the "top speed" shown in the SPD might be DDR2-800 6-6-6-18, which would
represent a slightly relaxed set of values (easier for the memory to meet).
That allows the user to get into the BIOS, the first time the product is
used. If the user never entered the BIOS, then the product would stay
running at DDR2-800 forever.

Once the user is in the BIOS, they look at the piece of paper that
accompanied the product, that claimed it was DDR2-1066 6-6-6-18 at 2.1V.
The user would then dial those values in manually, and test. In other
words, the SPD is designed to *not* represent the spec for the RAM,
in order that the motherboard will start up the first time. That is
to get around the "startup problem".

Your board supports: 1.950V (default), 2.000V, 2.050V, 2.100V.

It is going to start at the default value the first time, and then you can
crank it up.

I would not buy a memory product with a stated voltage need of
more than 2.1V to meet timing, as your board doesn't go any higher.

And if you bought a 1.95V memory, that would guarantee the stick
would meet timing, no matter what is stored in the SPD.

This kit is in the right ballpark. The difference between 1.95 and 2.00
is small enough, that this is likely to work no matter what is in the
SPD chip on the DIMM.

Cas Latency: 6 Voltage: 2.0V Dual Channel 6-6-6-18 F2-8500CL6D-4GBNQ
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231226

and this one needs too much voltage to meet its specified timing,
so you'd need to relax the timing or frequency to make it work
on your 2.1V max board.

Cas Latency: 5 Voltage: 2.2V - 2.4V Dual Channel 5-5-5-15 GX24GB8500C5UDC
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144255

Now, I found this comment on another site for the GX24GB8500C5UDC product.

"The SPD's default this RAM to safe DDR800, but with a few tweaks in the BIOS,
we are smokin"

That means the 2.2V DDR2-1066 RAM, starts at DDR2-800, and by doing so,
it would need less voltage to start. It would likely work well enough that
it would start right away at your default 1.95V. But the problem is,
your board only goes to 2.1V, so you couldn't dial in the exact
numbers on the box. If you wanted to use that 2.2V RAM, perhaps
you'd set the timing to 5-6-6-18 or something and retest. Then
try 6-6-6-18 and test again with memtest86+ and so on.

The reason there is a range of voltages on that second product, is
the first voltage is the one to meet timing. The second voltage
is the maximum recommended voltage. And since you can download
memory datasheets from the memory chip manufacturers, you can
see that their "absolute maximum" voltage roughly agrees with
what the DIMM maker is listing.

When a single voltage is listed, like the 2.0V RAM, they aren't
listing the absolute max. If you can see what brand of chips is
being used, you can look up the absolute max for them yourself.

Some enthusiast memory, contains additional information in the SPD.
The JEDEC spec, doesn't allow for "enthusiast voltage" as a parameter.
The specification extensions (there are a couple pseudo-standards), allow
both timing and voltage to be specified. But the motherboard BIOS
must support such a scheme, for it to work. If you mixed such
a stick, with a BIOS that doesn't read that info, you'd be no
better off than before. Or perhaps even worse off, depending on
how cleverly the SPD is coded.

With the conventional SPD scheme, as long as they relax the timing,
and don't write the rated values in the SPD, then the user can dial
in the values manually. That defeats the purpose of the SPD (which
is to automate the process), but solves the problem of enthusiast
products needing way too much voltage.

On "non-enthusiast" RAM, say a product that claims to run at 1.8V,
the operation at 1.95V is not going to hurt it. That is far enough
below "absolute max" to not affect service life. And the little bit
of extra voltage helps ensure the motherboard doesn't crash when it
starts up the first time.

This one, for example, is specified at 1.8V, which means it is going
to start in whatever motherboard it is plugged into. One user got this
to work on an Intel board, but not an AMD. Go figure... Always
read the reviews, for any quirks. It is how I shopped for RAM
the last time, and ended up selecting a different brand as a
result. If the reviews show a lot of DOAs or the like, then
why bother ? The only way a manufacturer can cut costs, is to
reduce test time. So the review comments are important. Don't
just read the summary numbers at the top, read the individual
comments. For example, if a memory product "burned my DIMM slot",
I wouldn't touch the product with a barge pole, no matter how many
other glowing reports there were.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148249

Paul
 |  Next  |  Last