From: JD on
On 02/04/2010 6:53 PM, James D. Andrews wrote:
> "JD"<No.Reply(a)Sorry.com> wrote in message
>> On 02/04/2010 4:17 PM, James D. Andrews wrote:
>>> "James D. Andrews"<jamesdandrews(a)att.net> wrote in message
> SNIP SNIP

> SNIP SNIP
> Do I need 1.95 and above or 1.95 and below?

>>> Whoops! I forgot to mention, I'm looking at DDR2, either 800 or 1066
>>> 4GB (2x2GB)
>> The manual for your Mobo:
>> http://www.biostar-usa.com/upload/Manual/N61PB-M2S_090918_B.zip
>>
>> Your motherboard supports 1.95v, 2.0v, 2.05 and 2.1 the default voltage is
>> 1.95v
>>
>> I can recommend the OCZ DDR2 800Mhz Platinum XTC 2Gb Kits (I have 2 of
>> them, 4gb in the media centre downstairs) part number OCZ2P8002GK, Voltage
>> 2.1v, and I see they have come down in price also.
>>
>> JD
>
> Thanks JD
> You come through again.
>
> The OCZ Platinum was actually at the top of my list, nice to know you
> recommend it.
>
> However, I hate to be a pest, but ...
>
> I was reading through a gazillion sites today and came across a possible
> problem:
> One site said the Sempron will not support memory more than 667s. Another
> said 800s. Another said 400s. But I've read of people using 1066s.
>
> AMD site is good for bringing on a mental breakdown.
>
> I'm so confused. Do you know what my Sempron 140 Sargas will support for
> memory?
>

> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news(a)netfront.net ---

I'd say its more to do with the motherboard, if the motherboard supports
the ram it should work fine, did a quick search and it seems that the
most popular ram sold with that CPU is the 800Mhz variety, you should be
safe with that.

JD
From: James D. Andrews on

"Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message
> [...]

> the BIOS,
> we are smokin"
>
> That means the 2.2V DDR2-1066 RAM, starts at DDR2-800, and by doing so,
> it would need less voltage to start. It would likely work well enough that
> it would start right away at your default 1.95V. But the problem is,
> your board only goes to 2.1V, so you couldn't dial in the exact
> numbers on the box. If you wanted to use that 2.2V RAM, perhaps
> you'd set the timing to 5-6-6-18 or something and retest. Then
> try 6-6-6-18 and test again with memtest86+ and so on.
>
> The reason there is a range of voltages on that second product, is
> the first voltage is the one to meet timing. The second voltage
> is the maximum recommended voltage. And since you can download
> memory datasheets from the memory chip manufacturers, you can
> see that their "absolute maximum" voltage roughly agrees with
> what the DIMM maker is listing.
>
> When a single voltage is listed, like the 2.0V RAM, they aren't
> listing the absolute max. If you can see what brand of chips is
> being used, you can look up the absolute max for them yourself.
>
> Some enthusiast memory, contains additional information in the SPD.
> The JEDEC spec, doesn't allow for "enthusiast voltage" as a parameter.
> The specification extensions (there are a couple pseudo-standards), allow
> both timing and voltage to be specified. But the motherboard BIOS
> must support such a scheme, for it to work. If you mixed such
> a stick, with a BIOS that doesn't read that info, you'd be no
> better off than before. Or perhaps even worse off, depending on
> how cleverly the SPD is coded.
>
> With the conventional SPD scheme, as long as they relax the timing,
> and don't write the rated values in the SPD, then the user can dial
> in the values manually. That defeats the purpose of the SPD (which
> is to automate the process), but solves the problem of enthusiast
> products needing way too much voltage.
>
> On "non-enthusiast" RAM, say a product that claims to run at 1.8V,
> the operation at 1.95V is not going to hurt it. That is far enough
> below "absolute max" to not affect service life. And the little bit
> of extra voltage helps ensure the motherboard doesn't crash when it
> starts up the first time.
>
> This one, for example, is specified at 1.8V, which means it is going
> to start in whatever motherboard it is plugged into. One user got this
> to work on an Intel board, but not an AMD. Go figure... Always
> read the reviews, for any quirks. It is how I shopped for RAM
> the last time, and ended up selecting a different brand as a
> result. If the reviews show a lot of DOAs or the like, then
> why bother ? The only way a manufacturer can cut costs, is to
> reduce test time. So the review comments are important. Don't
> just read the summary numbers at the top, read the individual
> comments. For example, if a memory product "burned my DIMM slot",
> I wouldn't touch the product with a barge pole, no matter how many

Paul,
Thank you very much.

And yeah, I always use the reviews to make my decisions. I don't want to
pick a product of any kind that 4/5 people hate, and so on.

I also pay attention to what the odd complaints are, such as when someone
complains about a product not working the way they want it to when they knew
ahead of time it doesn't work that way (e.g., complaining the single core
processor they bought on sale isn't quad).

Thanks

From: Paul on
James D. Andrews wrote:

> Paul,
> Thank you very much.
>
> And yeah, I always use the reviews to make my decisions. I don't want to
> pick a product of any kind that 4/5 people hate, and so on.
>
> I also pay attention to what the odd complaints are, such as when someone
> complains about a product not working the way they want it to when they knew
> ahead of time it doesn't work that way (e.g., complaining the single core
> processor they bought on sale isn't quad).
>
> Thanks

With regard to your other comments about the AMD site, and figuring out
what a processor supports - I agree, their documentation is a shambles.

*******

AMD processors have the memory controller on the processor itself.
The speed handled is a family characteristic. A general trend, is
if the motherboard has four memory slots, the two slot configuration
usually runs one frequency step above what the four stick configuration can
do. Your board only has two slots, so that is the only configuration
choice you've got.

You also have the limitation, of up to a 95W processor. The Vcore on the Biostar
motherboard, only has three phases. Now, if they didn't support split plane
power (separate power for IMC and Vcore), I suppose then the board would
effectively be AM2, and then the memory would be stuck at DDR2-800. If one
phase powers the IMC, and two phases power Vcore, then the next speed up
should be possible.

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/content.php?S_ID=370#

This AM3/AM2+/AM2 has DDR2 DIMM slots, and the description says

http://www.etccomputer.ca/eShop/product_details.asp?productid=6356

"*Due to AMD CPU limitation, DDR2 1066 is supported by AM2+/AM3 CPU only."

And that motherboard has only two DIMM slots, which is why they don't have
to distinguish between two slots versus four slots.

This AM3 board with DDR3 memory...

http://www.etccomputer.ca/eShop/product_details.asp?productid=6737

"Memory 2 x DIMM, Max. 8 GB, DDR3 1800(O.C.)/1600(O.C.)/1333/1066"

So in that case, DDR3-1333 is max speed with two sticks, and higher
speeds are by overclocking.

If you have an AM2 processor, that kind of processor has one power
plane for both Vcore and the memory. AM2+ and AM3 are split plane.
AM2 supports DDR2-800. AM2+ goes to DDR2-1066, AM3 goes to DDR3-1333.

Your Sargas Sempron 140, is AM3. On a DDR2 motherboard, it should
be able to do DDR2-1066 (while on an AM3 motherboard with DDR3 slots,
it would be DDR3-1333 without overclocking. If the processor was plugged
into an older AM2 motherboard, the motherboard would need a BIOS update,
and the RAM interface would likely run DDR2-800.

The thing is, you don't have to worry. You can buy DDR2-1066 RAM,
and it will happily run at DDR2-800. So it isn't like you have
to throw the RAM away, if my previous paragraphs are wrong.

*******

In the reviews here, for the Sempron 140, I can see at least a couple
people using DDR2-1066 with that processor. And I don't see any
comments about being stuck at DDR2-800. Mind you, the difference could
be the motherboard they're using.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16819103698

*******

Now, if we look at reviews for your motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16813138111

"Pros: Supports DDR2-1066 RAM ********************
this wasn't stated in the item description"

That implies it does have split plane powering (or it is cheating
and taking chances :-) ). So, go for it!

While some people have succeeded at unlocking the second core in the Sempron 140,
I would not count on that. In terms of applications, if a family member
wanted a computer only for Microsoft Office, I wouldn't feel too badly
about giving them a single core solution. But if you have video playback
as a part of the plan, I'd want a bit more headroom, and a dual core
might be a bit smoother.

This one is $59 and includes a heatsink/fan.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103688

Paul
From: James D. Andrews on

> James D. Andrews wrote:

SNIP SNIP SNIP

> While some people have succeeded at unlocking the second core in the
> Sempron 140,
> I would not count on that. In terms of applications, if a family member
> wanted a computer only for Microsoft Office, I wouldn't feel too badly
> about giving them a single core solution. But if you have video playback
> as a part of the plan, I'd want a bit more headroom, and a dual core
> might be a bit smoother.
>
> Paul

Yeah, I saw that about unlocking, but I'm neither that tech savvy nor can I
afford to experiment with a processor. I like to use products as they are
intended, avoid the "what if something goes wrong" issue.

It won't be a gaming or audio/video computer, just office and home use, some
downloading, so I could go with the less expensive single-core without much
concern. This combo will give me nearly 3x the processor and 8x the RAM I
currently use in my office, so I'm a happy camper.

My next issue is deciding on a hard drive next month. As a general rule,
whatever I buy will go on sale shortly after my purchase.

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Lenovo - XP - Win7
Next: OS for 4GB RAM