From: Marshall Barton on
If there are no existing records for a subform, then the
only thing a user can do is add a new record. If you set
the subform's AllowAdditions property to Yes, then a empty
record will be displayed ready for data to be entered.

If you can not permit new records to be added, then the form
will be blank as you are seeing. About the only thing you
can do is make a main form label or something visible to
display the fact that there is nothing to display:
Me.label.Visible=(Me.subform.Form.Recordset.RecordCount=0)

If you want, you can hide the blank subform at the same
time:

Me.subform.Visible=(Me.subform.Form.Recordset.RecordCount>0)

Where you would put that code in the main form depends on
what triggers the subform to load a different set of records
(maybe the main form's Current event?)
--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

From: Daryl S on
Like Marshall said, if you open the subform to allow additions, then a blank
new record will allow the fields to be seen.

--
Daryl S