From: Doug Jewell on
Can anyone explain this drama I'm having:

Computer1 - Desktop computer with shared printer and folders
Laptop1 - self explanatory
Laptop2 - self explanatory.
All computers run Vista Home Premium SP2.

All networked via Wireless, using a Linksys wireless
router/modem. All can access internet perfectly.

All are configured with the network set as private, sharing
enabled, password protected sharing off.

Laptop1/Computer1 talk to each other perfectly - see each
others shares, Laptop1 prints to Computer1's printer etc, no
dramas.

Laptop2/Computer1 won't talk to each other unless Laptop1 is
turned on. While Laptop1 is turned on, Laptop2/Computer1
talk perfectly to each other. Whenever Laptop1 is off,
Laptop2/Computer1 don't see each other in the network
browser, manually typing in \\Laptop2 or \\Computer1 will
time out. Once Laptop1 is up and running, Laptop2 and
Computer1 see each other perfectly well again. If
Laptop2/Computer1 are in the middle of a network operation,
eg copying a large file, and Laptop1 is turned
off/suspended, the file operation between Laptop2/Computer1
will stop and time out.

If Laptop2 is off, it causes no interference to
Laptop1/Computer1. If Computer1 is off (it is normally on
24/7, but tried it off for testing), Laptop2/Laptop1 will
also happily talk to each other.

It's got me absolutely stumped what could be causing it.

--
What is the difference between a duck?
From: Rod Speed on
Doug Jewell wrote:
> Can anyone explain this drama I'm having:
>
> Computer1 - Desktop computer with shared printer and folders
> Laptop1 - self explanatory
> Laptop2 - self explanatory.
> All computers run Vista Home Premium SP2.
>
> All networked via Wireless, using a Linksys wireless
> router/modem. All can access internet perfectly.
>
> All are configured with the network set as private, sharing
> enabled, password protected sharing off.
>
> Laptop1/Computer1 talk to each other perfectly - see each
> others shares, Laptop1 prints to Computer1's printer etc, no
> dramas.
>
> Laptop2/Computer1 won't talk to each other unless Laptop1 is
> turned on. While Laptop1 is turned on, Laptop2/Computer1
> talk perfectly to each other. Whenever Laptop1 is off,
> Laptop2/Computer1 don't see each other in the network
> browser, manually typing in \\Laptop2 or \\Computer1 will
> time out. Once Laptop1 is up and running, Laptop2 and
> Computer1 see each other perfectly well again. If
> Laptop2/Computer1 are in the middle of a network operation,
> eg copying a large file, and Laptop1 is turned
> off/suspended, the file operation between Laptop2/Computer1
> will stop and time out.
>
> If Laptop2 is off, it causes no interference to
> Laptop1/Computer1. If Computer1 is off (it is normally on
> 24/7, but tried it off for testing), Laptop2/Laptop1 will
> also happily talk to each other.
>
> It's got me absolutely stumped what could be causing it.

I did see some quirks like that with the PC running Nortons.

With that removed, all those quirks went away.

From: Doug Jewell on
Rod Speed wrote:
> Doug Jewell wrote:

>> It's got me absolutely stumped what could be causing it.
>
> I did see some quirks like that with the PC running Nortons.
>
> With that removed, all those quirks went away.
They do have Norton 360 - I'll investigate that angle.
Thanks Rod.

--
What is the difference between a duck?
From: Marty on
On Sat, 29 May 2010 14:20:40 +1000, Doug Jewell wrote:

> If Laptop2 is off, it causes no interference to Laptop1/Computer1. If
> Computer1 is off (it is normally on 24/7, but tried it off for testing),
> Laptop2/Laptop1 will also happily talk to each other.
>
> It's got me absolutely stumped what could be causing it.

Because Laptop1 is the SMB coordinator?