From: Alan Secker on
I cannot find the source of the kind of interference one gets from a digital
TV or in my case a DVB card, from when a poorly suppressed motor-bike goes
by.

The card worked fine in my earlier 2008.1 machine but in my new higher
performance machine it is dreadful. I have eliminated the application as I
expereinced that same problem in both Kaffeine and MythTV. Its not Mandriva
either as I also ha the problem from Linux Mint 8.

It doesn't affect other applications. I can watch streaming TV perfectly
from several sources without difficulty.

The reason for raising it here is that someone else may have hit a similar
problem and be able t suggest a solution. Could the low voltage motor from a
caddy fan or a DVD player be responsible?

Just a faint hope.

From: Darren Salt on
I demand that Alan Secker may or may not have written...

> I cannot find the source of the kind of interference one gets from a
> digital TV or in my case a DVB card, from when a poorly suppressed
> motor-bike goes by.

> The card worked fine in my earlier 2008.1 machine but in my new higher
> performance machine it is dreadful. I have eliminated the application as I
> expereinced that same problem in both Kaffeine and MythTV. Its not Mandriva
> either as I also ha the problem from Linux Mint 8.

What makes you think that this is a software problem? Your cable could be a
bit dodgy. Check with "dvbtune -f FREQ -m", given a suitable frequency; I
always choose a multiplex which is using 64QAM for testing DVB-T reception.

[snip]
--
| Darren Salt | linux at youmustbejoking | nr. Ashington, | Doon
| using Debian GNU/Linux | or ds ,demon,co,uk | Northumberland | Army
| + http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/

Is the increased web usage responsible for all of the spiders in my garden?
From: Mark Hobley on
Alan Secker <alan(a)asandco.co.uk> wrote:
> I cannot find the source of the kind of interference one gets from a digital
> TV or in my case a DVB card, from when a poorly suppressed motor-bike goes
> by.
>
> The card worked fine in my earlier 2008.1 machine but in my new higher
> performance machine it is dreadful.

I have the same problem here. My hardware all used to work fine without
interference, but now I get interference from taxi radios and things.

The hardware has been in place for several years, but I have only noticed
interference over the last couple of years, and I can't relate it to
any specific hardware change. (The only things I have changed over the last
couple of years are hard drives, and the cdr recorder drive.)

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

From: alexd on
On 20/03/10 21:08, Mark Hobley wrote:

> Alan Secker<alan(a)asandco.co.uk> wrote:

>> I cannot find the source of the kind of interference one gets from a digital
>> TV or in my case a DVB card, from when a poorly suppressed motor-bike goes
>> by.

> I have the same problem here. My hardware all used to work fine without
> interference, but now I get interference from taxi radios and things.

Is it possible that the coax from your antenna [presumably outdoors and
roof-mounted] has deteriorated, so the SNR you get is worse, and
therefore you're more susceptible to interference?

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm(a)ale.cx)
10:38:20 up 45 days, 11:23, 4 users, load average: 0.09, 0.11, 0.10
From: Alan Secker on
alexd wrote:

> On 20/03/10 21:08, Mark Hobley wrote:
>
>> Alan Secker<alan(a)asandco.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>> I cannot find the source of the kind of interference one gets from a
>>> digital TV or in my case a DVB card, from when a poorly suppressed
>>> motor-bike goes by.
>
>> I have the same problem here. My hardware all used to work fine without
>> interference, but now I get interference from taxi radios and things.
>
> Is it possible that the coax from your antenna [presumably outdoors and
> roof-mounted] has deteriorated, so the SNR you get is worse, and
> therefore you're more susceptible to interference?

The aerial signal goes through an aerial pre-amplifier and later an
amplified distributor where it is split and downloaded to different rooms in
the house. None of the TVs connected to it suffer from this problem. I even
connected one to the lead to the computer. It worked perfectly.