From: Harald Meyer on
Greg Russell wrote:

>> Does anyone know if there are any open source console mode accounts
> packages available for Linux?

> What precisely do you mean by "console mode accounts"? Any user account that

Note the crosspost to alt.comp.software.financial , I think he means
bank accounts rather than Unix user accounts.

Harald (was confused too)
From: Tom Anderson on
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010, Harald Meyer wrote:

> Greg Russell wrote:
>
>>> Does anyone know if there are any open source console mode accounts
>>> packages available for Linux?
>>
>> What precisely do you mean by "console mode accounts"? Any user account
>> that
>
> Note the crosspost to alt.comp.software.financial , I think he means
> bank accounts rather than Unix user accounts.

Or perhaps even accounts payable and receivable. Double-entry bookkeeping,
revenue recognition, general ledger, closing, all that stuff. I have no
idea what any of that means, but it sounds even nastier than the SysV IPC
interfaces.

tom

--
You knows it!
From: The Natural Philosopher on
Mark Hobley wrote:
> In alt.comp.software.financial Greg Russell <grussell(a)invalid.com> wrote:
>> "Mark Hobley" <markhobley(a)hotpop.donottypethisbit.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Does anyone know if there are any open source console mode accounts
>> packages
>>> available for Linux?
>> What precisely do you mean by "console mode accounts"?
>
> Sorry, I meant accountancy packages that run in console mode (ie do not
> require X11).

Probably your best bet is to dredge up something that reliably ran on
MSDOS 2, and run WINE, or port it.

Half of that era ran interpreted BASIC anyway..maybe there's a freeware
of an old packahge out there..

Also there used to be at least when I was looking. many SCO UNIX
accounting packages designed for 80x25 terminals.

Im sure they still exist somewhere, but they tend to be non-free as teh
support is necessary and expensive.

From: The Natural Philosopher on
Theo Markettos wrote:
> In uk.comp.os.linux The Natural Philosopher <tnp(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> Probably your best bet is to dredge up something that reliably ran on
>> MSDOS 2, and run WINE, or port it.
>
> That was what I did when I wanted a console spreadsheet... ran Lotus 1-2-3
> (or whatever it was) in a DOS emulator (dosbox or dosemu). There's enough
> DOS software on the net as abandonware so you should be able to try a range
> of apps.
>
> Getting something to talk modern file formats might be a bit of a challenge,
> though.
>
> You're allowed to use a more recent version of DOS, though :) FreeDOS is,
> err, free.
>
>> Also there used to be at least when I was looking. many SCO UNIX
>> accounting packages designed for 80x25 terminals.
>>
>> Im sure they still exist somewhere, but they tend to be non-free as teh
>> support is necessary and expensive.
>
> Yes, if you're doing any kind of business accounting support may be an
> issue. I have no idea if big software companies still support customers
> that refuse to upgrade because they use the software in some
> business-critical role.

Oh yes. People are still writing RPG on ageing IBM mainframes..and COBOL
too.

> This list looks interesting:
> http://www.aaxnet.com/design/linuxacct.html
> See also the links at the bottom.
>
> Theo

One point worth mentioning, is that if you are using software to prepare
official accounts for tax audits, it needs to be in some way certified.
That is not a feature of freeware.
From: alexd on
If there isn't a console-based one available, but you know of a
web-based one, you could use a console web browser to access it.

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm(a)ale.cx)
08:54:15 up 44 days, 9:14, 3 users, load average: 0.01, 0.13, 0.13