From: Gordon Henderson on
In article <slrnhrnds9.vj4.itsbruce(a)store.bruce>,
Bruce Richardson <itsbruce(a)uklinux.net> wrote:
>Mark Hobley <markhobley(a)hotpop.donottypethisbit.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am quite surprised at how few console mode applications are available on
>> Linux.
>
>*blink*
>
>I use console apps for mail, news, web browsing, editing, chat, instant
>messaging, playing music, and more. There are text mode file managers,
>spreadsheets, softphones, IDEs, games (even a first person shooter).
>But there are areas where most of the user base are simply going to want
>GUI applications. There aren't that many open source accounting
>packages for any OS and most of those are GUI or web apps.

What command-line softphone are you using? (other than asterisk?)

Gordon
From: Gordon Henderson on
In article <slrnhrra09.5l5.itsbruce(a)store.bruce>,
Bruce Richardson <itsbruce(a)uklinux.net> wrote:
>Gordon Henderson <gordon+usenet(a)drogon.net> wrote:
>>
>> What command-line softphone are you using? (other than asterisk?)
>
>Asterisk is a PBX, not a softphone. I use the curses version of
>linphone as a softphone.

Well, I know what asterisk is - I base a good portion of my income
around it, and it can be used as a very good command-line soft-phone
using on-board sound hardware, however it's somewhat clunky and rather
tricky to setup in that manner.

But thanks for the pointer to linphone, I'll have a look!

Gordon
From: Gordon Henderson on
In article <slrnhrrifh.600.itsbruce(a)store.bruce>,
Bruce Richardson <itsbruce(a)uklinux.net> wrote:
>Gordon Henderson <gordon+usenet(a)drogon.net> wrote:
>> Well, I know what asterisk is - I base a good portion of my income
>> around it, and it can be used as a very good command-line soft-phone
>> using on-board sound hardware,
>
>Ack. I've worked with Asterisk but never (ab)used it quite like that ;)

Not sure it is considered abuse :) You compile it with ALSA
or OSS!) support and use the Dial command to make a call..

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+CLI+dial

I've only tried it once as a sort of proof of concept...

>> But thanks for the pointer to linphone, I'll have a look!
>
>There's no easy to find documentation about the config file other than
>the code, so it's useful to install the GUI version, play with the
>options and see what it stores in the config file, before experimenting
>with the curses version. The curses and GUI versions store their config
>files in different places (~/.linphonerc and ~/.gnome2/linphone) but the
>format is identical. I had a little frustration with the latter until I
>realised that if there was no ~/.gnome2 directory (I don't use gnome)
>then the GUI client simply wouldn't store any settings.

OK. I don't use gnome either, so that's handy!

Cheers,

Gordon