From: Mark Hobley on
Does anyone know if there are any open source console mode accounts packages
available for Linux?

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

From: Vince Coen on
Hello Mark!

19 Mar 10 11:08, Mark Hobley wrote to All:

MH> Does anyone know if there are any open source console mode accounts
MH> packages available for Linux?

I have one written in Open Cobol also includes Sales, Purchase, Stock,
General/Nominal ledgers, IRS (Incomplete Records).

This has been made open source under GPL v2

Vince

From: Greg Russell on
"Mark Hobley" <markhobley(a)hotpop.donottypethisbit.com> wrote in message

> Does anyone know if there are any open source console mode accounts
packages
> available for Linux?

What precisely do you mean by "console mode accounts"? Any user account that
has a shell defined in its /etc/passwd entry may be accessed from the
console, and the code for that shell is certainly open source.

From: Mark Hobley on
In alt.comp.software.financial Greg Russell <grussell(a)invalid.com> wrote:
> "Mark Hobley" <markhobley(a)hotpop.donottypethisbit.com> wrote in message
>
>> Does anyone know if there are any open source console mode accounts
> packages
>> available for Linux?
>
> What precisely do you mean by "console mode accounts"?

Sorry, I meant accountancy packages that run in console mode (ie do not
require X11).

Mark.

From: Theo Markettos on
In uk.comp.os.linux The Natural Philosopher <tnp(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Probably your best bet is to dredge up something that reliably ran on
> MSDOS 2, and run WINE, or port it.

That was what I did when I wanted a console spreadsheet... ran Lotus 1-2-3
(or whatever it was) in a DOS emulator (dosbox or dosemu). There's enough
DOS software on the net as abandonware so you should be able to try a range
of apps.

Getting something to talk modern file formats might be a bit of a challenge,
though.

You're allowed to use a more recent version of DOS, though :) FreeDOS is,
err, free.

> Also there used to be at least when I was looking. many SCO UNIX
> accounting packages designed for 80x25 terminals.
>
> Im sure they still exist somewhere, but they tend to be non-free as teh
> support is necessary and expensive.

Yes, if you're doing any kind of business accounting support may be an
issue. I have no idea if big software companies still support customers
that refuse to upgrade because they use the software in some
business-critical role.

This list looks interesting:
http://www.aaxnet.com/design/linuxacct.html
See also the links at the bottom.