From: Greg Russell on
"Mark Hobley" <markhobley(a)hotpop.donottypethisbit.com> wrote in message

>> Does anyone know if there are any open source console mode accounts
>> packages available for Linux?
> >
> > What precisely do you mean by "console mode accounts"?
>
> Sorry, I meant accountancy packages that run in console mode (ie do not
> require X11).

Oh, you mean "accounting" --
http://freshmeat.net/projects/linux_general_ledger/ might be of interest to
you.

From: Nix on
On 19 Mar 2010, The Natural Philosopher outgrape:
> Probably your best bet is to dredge up something that reliably ran on
> MSDOS 2, and run WINE, or port it.

I suspect anything that old is likely to have drifted considerably out
of date. Laws change, and accountancy packages have to chantge with
them.

(oh, and btw, WINE is probably a worse bet here than dosbox. It's
amazing what dosbox can do.)
From: Mark Hobley on
In alt.comp.software.financial Theo Markettos <theom+news(a)chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> That was what I did when I wanted a console spreadsheet... ran Lotus 1-2-3
> (or whatever it was) in a DOS emulator (dosbox or dosemu).

Yeah. I liked the DOS version of Lotus 123. I was looking for a console mode
spreadsheet to replace this on Linux. The best I could find was a package
called oleo. which provides a console mode spreadsheet for Linux. I am hoping
to reengineer this at a later date to provide keyboard and menu compatibility
with Lotus.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

From: Mark Hobley on
In alt.comp.software.financial The Natural Philosopher <tnp(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Probably your best bet is to dredge up something that reliably ran on
> MSDOS 2, and run WINE, or port it.
> Half of that era ran interpreted BASIC anyway.

Yeah. I am from that era :)

We had tons of console mode applications for almost everything. I wrote
an accounts package and almost all of the applications that I used
(except Lotus 123, which was already written and came bundled with the
computer).

I am quite surprised at how few console mode applications are available on
Linux.

> Im sure they still exist somewhere, but they tend to be non-free as teh
> support is necessary and expensive.

Yeah. I definitely need open source software.

Mark.

From: Sidney Lambe on
On comp.os.linux.misc, Mark Hobley
<markhobley(a)hotpop.donottypethisbit.com> wrote:

[delete]

> I am quite surprised at how few console mode applications are
> available on Linux.

????????!!!!

Let's see. I don't run X on this box at all. I surf the web with
a browser (links2) which displays images and does javascript
(though I don't) and frames and so forth. I edit images. I do
mail and news and ssh and telnet and IRC and IM and run a web
server and an FTP server and display and edit and create PDF
files and run a packet sniffer and have an excellent text editor
and create web pages and compile complex software and download
music from a certain well-known file-sharing network. I have a
superb window manager (GNU screen -- 9 open windows at present
-- no mouse involved and it has cut&paste capabilities that far
exceed anything available in a GUI window manager.)

Currently using 43MB of RAM and 2% of my CPU's capacity with
a system load average of 7%.

I have 964 executable binaries on my box, and none of them
require a GUI.

I'd guess that there are probably another 10,000+ console apps
easily available for free.

I suggest you check out sourceforge.net and ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/
just for starters.

Sid