From: Robert Aldwinckle on
"Frederick R. Hutchings" <frederickh(a)cox.net> wrote in message
> Hi PA Bear,
>
> That link still isn't working. It gives the message:
> The website has encountered a problem

Which link? Two were given. FWIW both worked for me.

Oh. Are you talking about this link?

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/

FWIW I have a new machine and don't yet have the ActiveX control it wants me
to install, so I am getting a prompt to install it (as expected)...
And that worked too.

However, on another machine I did encounter a problem with that app and
discovered a workaround...

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.microsoft_update_catalog/msg/0e85a9c9dccc283d?hl=en

<quote>
Disabling the control didn't help. Disabling Scripting changed the symptom
but didn't help. Only removing the old ActiveX control worked and then
only after starting from the beginning again.
</quote>

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

From: Frederick R. Hutchings on
Robert,

What is the name of the old ActiveX control? The one to remove.

Fred

From: Frederick R. Hutchings on
Well, I just answered my own question. It's named Microsoft Update Catalog.
Removing that gets me a little further, but it hangs after I click the info
bar to install the (presumed) new one.

Fred

From: Robert Aldwinckle on
> Well, I just answered my own question. It's named Microsoft Update
> Catalog. Removing that gets me a little further, but it hangs after I
> click the info bar to install the (presumed) new one.

Maybe you'll have better luck than me trying to report it using that
feedback link they provide. <eg>

Robert
---

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Can you reach http://www.microsoft.com/downloads?

How about http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com or
http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate ??

Are you running IE6, IE7, or IE8 on your WinXP SP3 computer?

What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?

Frederick R. Hutchings wrote:
> Hi PA Bear,
>
> That link still isn't working. It gives the message:
> The website has encountered a problem
>
> [Error number: 8DDD0020]
> The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
> trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the
> problem.
<snip>