From: Dgoldman [MSFT] on
With you sharing your application log it is hard to tell. If someone deleted
that address list and recreated it you would see that message for the first
time you rebuild. Why dont you turn up logging and then share out some of
the errors here.

Dgoldman
http://blogs.msdn.com/dgoldman
Download OABInteg from here:
http://gotdotnet.com/Community/UserSamples/Download.aspx?SampleGuid=A2338E73-F521-4071-9B1D-AAF49C346ACD

From: richardw1972 on
Great, thanks.

Just to confirm, I have OAL Generator logging set to maximum and attempting
to rebuild the OLA (whether manually or by the usual, scheduled method) gives
the following two warning messages in the application log:

Error code 9109

OALGen encountered an error ffffffff (internal ID 50303e2) while generating
address list '\Global Address List'. Check other logged events to see if
this is a serious error.
- Default Offline Address List

Error code 9116

OALGen encountered an error while generating the binpatch.oab file for
differential downloads of address list '\Global Address List'. Clients will
not be able to incrementally update to the new version of the offline address
list, they will perform a full download instead. This is normal if this is
the first time this offline address list has been generated. Check other
logged events to see if this is a serious error.
- Default Offline Address List

Apart from OAL Generator, where do I need to bump up the logging?

From: Dgoldman [MSFT] on
This is a permissions based error.

http://blogs.msdn.com/dgoldman/archive/2007/02/01/exchange-2007-oab-generation-fails-with-errors-9348-and-9109.aspx

Also you need to make sure you have at least one user created and in the
gal.

From: richardw1972 on
I'm using Exchange 2003

From: Dgoldman [MSFT] on