From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"C. Kevin Provance" <*@*.*> wrote:

>| I've noticed that as well. I was kind of disappointed with a few of
>| those as I had book marked useful code from them over the past years
>| and then went back to find they had disappeared.
>|
>| I suspect Karl Peterson would be happy to host those on his mvps.org
>| server.
>
>If I know Karl as half as well as I think I do, I would not hold my breath.
>Two reasons.
>
>1) Karl won't host just any old thing. He's picky about what he'll host.
>
>2) With him it's all about permission and not stepping on the toes of
>others. If he feels it's worthy, he would want to get full reproducable
>rights before doing such a thing. Case in point: the VBPJ archives. A
>*great* resource to have back online, but not his call to make. I suspect
>if he can ever wrangle up the rights, we would see it again. It's all about
>covering one's backside.
>
>Of course, if I'm wrong, Karl will correct me. ;-)

Point 2 was a given. I wouldn't host anything of anyone else's
without permission either.

Tony

--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: bitshifter on
On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 06:26:13 +0000, Robert <noname(a)noserver.com>
wrote:

>Hi
>
>I've noticed that a few of my favorite VB websites have vanished
>lately, perhaps not unexpectedly as they haven't been updated for a
>number of years.
>
>So, I'm wondering:
>
>a) It's permissible/acceptable to make copies of the remaining dormant
>sites in my favorites for browsing locally, and

Personally, I would say yes if to browse locally by yourself as an
archived site.

>b) what's the best way to do it.

I use WebReaper from www.webreaper.net.

It will suck and copy a whole site locally to a folder of your chosing
while adjusting all link to local,

>PS: Anyone know if killervb.com has gone for good?

Comes up blank.
Cached page from the 2th of Jan 2010 comes up crippled.
http://whois.domaintools.com/killervb.com gives:

Registrant:
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
United States

Domain Name: KILLERVB.COM
Created on: 06-Mar-99
Expires on: 06-Mar-10
Last Updated on: 12-Dec-07

Administrative Contact:
Private, Registration
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
United States
(480) 624-2599 Fax -- (480) 624-2598

Technical Contact:
Private, Registration
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
United States
(480) 624-2599 Fax -- (480) 624-2598

Domain servers in listed order:
NS1.ZONEEDIT.COM
NS2.ZONEEDIT.COM

They might be able to tell you if the thing is abandonned.
http://searchanalytics.compete.com/site_referrals/killervb.com/
gives:

Sorry,
we do not have Search Analytics data for:
killervb.com

The site may have little traffic or we may not have a statistically
relevant sample to project the traffic with.
http://siteanalytics.compete.com/Killervb.com/ gives 159 visitors on
2th month of 2009.
No data if shorter period selected.
From: Robert on
On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 10:30:53 GMT, sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com (David Kaye)
wrote:

>Robert <noname(a)noserver.com> wrote:
>
>>a) It's permissible/acceptable to make copies of the remaining dormant
>>sites in my favorites for browsing locally, and
>>
>>b) what's the best way to do it.
>>
>>Any comments/suggestions?
>
>Does the Wayback machine on http://www.archive.org have the sites archived?
>If so, it should be a simple matter of copying the code.

I find the Wayback machine to be fairly hit and miss. The last dead
site I checked out had some of the site but not the bit I was looking
for i.e. the bit with the code samples.
From: Bee on
where does one get a clean copy of msvcr70.dll ?

From: Alfie [UK] on

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=msvcr70.dll
--
Alfie [UK]