From: Robert on
Hi

I've noticed that a few of my favorite VB websites have vanished
lately, perhaps not unexpectedly as they haven't been updated for a
number of years.

So, I'm wondering:

a) It's permissible/acceptable to make copies of the remaining dormant
sites in my favorites for browsing locally, and

b) what's the best way to do it.

Any comments/suggestions?

Rob

PS: Anyone know if killervb.com has gone for good?
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
Robert <noname(a)noserver.com> wrote:

>I've noticed that a few of my favorite VB websites have vanished
>lately, perhaps not unexpectedly as they haven't been updated for a
>number of years.

I've noticed that as well. I was kind of disappointed with a few of
those as I had book marked useful code from them over the past years
and then went back to find they had disappeared.

I suspect Karl Peterson would be happy to host those on his mvps.org
server.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: David Kaye on
Robert <noname(a)noserver.com> wrote:

>a) It's permissible/acceptable to make copies of the remaining dormant
>sites in my favorites for browsing locally, and
>
>b) what's the best way to do it.
>
>Any comments/suggestions?

Does the Wayback machine on http://www.archive.org have the sites archived?
If so, it should be a simple matter of copying the code.

From: C. Kevin Provance on
"Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote in message

| I've noticed that as well. I was kind of disappointed with a few of
| those as I had book marked useful code from them over the past years
| and then went back to find they had disappeared.
|
| I suspect Karl Peterson would be happy to host those on his mvps.org
| server.

If I know Karl as half as well as I think I do, I would not hold my breath.
Two reasons.

1) Karl won't host just any old thing. He's picky about what he'll host.

2) With him it's all about permission and not stepping on the toes of
others. If he feels it's worthy, he would want to get full reproducable
rights before doing such a thing. Case in point: the VBPJ archives. A
*great* resource to have back online, but not his call to make. I suspect
if he can ever wrangle up the rights, we would see it again. It's all about
covering one's backside.

Of course, if I'm wrong, Karl will correct me. ;-)

From: mayayana on

> Does the Wayback machine on http://www.archive.org have the sites
archived?
> If so, it should be a simple matter of copying the code.

That is a helpful resource for sites like vbip.com,
which used to be a great place for network
code. But it doesn't host ZIPs. While some of vbip's
code can be found (the author's winsock class is at
koders.com) a lot has been lost for good.

Personally I find it irritating when people come by
and just take a copy of my site. I do my best to prevent
that. It's rude, disrespectful and the people who do it
are typically taking so much that they'll probably never
actually read/use it. They're too busy hoarding.
(I don't mean to implicate the OP in that.)

I downloaded many of Eduardo Morcillo's ZIPs
at one point because his site has become increasingly
dysfunctional, he's moved to .Net, and many of his
samples are unique. I've maintained a collection of
code samples from various places for years. I use them
when I need a sample of a function I haven't used
before. But I'm not sure how realistic it is to save
whole sites. Even if they're available, many are just
too big. For instance, PlanetSourceCode is probably
the biggest and best overall library currently online.
But if one downloaded the whole thing it would just be
a vast pile of ZIPs with unrevealing names.

I repeatedly find that I point people to Randy Birch's
site for basic things. He has a way of presenting
things in a very clear -- complete but concise -- manner.
And he accepts donations. Maybe he should put his site
into a help file and sell it online. (If he ever reads this. :)