From: William Sommerwerck on
>> If the picture is consistently misexposed, then the exposure-compensation
>> control (assuming the camera has one) should fix the problem.

> Compensation doesn't fix the problem, it fixes the symptom. The problem
> remains.
> The compensation range on this camera is +/- 2 stops and this is not
enough.

>> If it doesn't, then the camera needs repair or replacement.

> I'm asking questions to find out what the cause is. Repair options to be
> considered after this is determined.

If +/- 2 stops isn't enough to compensate, then the camera is either grossly
misdesigned, or it's defective. The "cause" is immaterial, as a properly
designed and operating camera should not show this problem (or symptom, as
you prefer).

From: hr(bob) hofmann on
On Jan 21, 2:48 pm, "William Sommerwerck" <grizzledgee...(a)comcast.net>
wrote:
> >> If the picture is consistently misexposed, then the exposure-compensation
> >> control (assuming the camera has one) should fix the problem.
> > Compensation doesn't fix the problem, it fixes the symptom. The problem
> > remains.
> > The compensation range on this camera is +/- 2 stops and this is not
>
> enough.
>
> >> If it doesn't, then the camera needs repair or replacement.
> > I'm asking questions to find out what the cause is. Repair options to be
> > considered after this is determined.
>
> If +/- 2 stops isn't enough to compensate, then the camera is either grossly
> misdesigned, or it's defective. The "cause" is immaterial, as a properly
> designed and operating camera should not show this problem (or symptom, as
> you prefer).

Does the camera have an exposure setting in addition to the +/- two F-
stops? Do you have the instruction manual??
From: DaveC on
> Does the camera have an exposure setting in addition to the +/- two F-
> stops?

No.

> Do you have the instruction manual??

Yes.

From: hr(bob) hofmann on
On Jan 21, 3:48 pm, DaveC <inva...(a)invalid.net> wrote:
> > Does the camera have an exposure setting in addition to the +/- two F-
> > stops?
>
> No.
>
> > Do you have the instruction manual??
>
> Yes.

Have you tried removing the battery for a couple of days and then
basiclly starting from scratch as far as settting up all the options,?
From: Chrlz on
On Jan 22, 4:47 am, DaveC <inva...(a)invalid.net> wrote:
> Olympus FE-20
> - - -
>
> > Are the pictures pale-looking even when you upload them to a computer?
>
> > Has the camera previously produced acceptable pictures?
>
> > Is the battery OK?
>
> > Could be a fault in the exposure meter or in the 'firmware'.
>
> Wouldn't these faults be evident in the "viewfinder" mode (before taking the
> exposure)? When I aim the camera at light and dark subjects the camera
> compensates by "irising" up and down to give what looks to be a
> properly-exposed "preview" display. Only when the image is captured is it
> overexposed.
>
> Images downloaded and viewed on the computer are overexposed, identical to
> when viewed on the camera's display.
>
> This is a new-to-me camera (used) so I don't know the history.
>
> Battery icon is green (fully charged).
>
> It doesn't matter whether flash is on or off.
>
> Ideas?

Samples, including exif, please? In other words please post some of
the worst examples, unedited except for resizing, and make sure
whatever program you use leaves the exif details intact.

The Oly FE20 has a pretty ordinary sensor, with a limited dynamic
range. It is probably set to slightly overexpose out of the box, to
give the bright results that ma and pa kettle expect. And at this
stage we don't even know if your monitor is correctly adjusted..

I'd really like to see the images to ensure it isn't a natural result
of the type of images you are taking..