From: SMS on
I need to get a waterproof camera for my daughter that's going on a
week-long canoe camping scout outing in the summer.

I thought about getting the Canon WPDC12 for her A570IS ($175) but then
I saw the Fujifilm FinePix Z33WP for $133 and the Olympus Stylus 550 WP
for $104.95. She isn't going to be doing underwater photography, but I
want her to have something that she's not so worried about getting wet
that she keeps it packed away in a waterproof bag the whole trip.

Even though the A570IS is a better camera than either of those two, I
just wonder how much of a hassle it is with those waterproof cases to do
things like change the batteries, then get the camera back inside and
make sure all the gaskets are properly seated and lubed.

Has anyone here used one of the Canon waterproof cases?
From: Pete D on

"SMS" <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote in message
>I need to get a waterproof camera for my daughter that's going on a
>week-long canoe camping scout outing in the summer.
>
> I thought about getting the Canon WPDC12 for her A570IS ($175) but then
> I saw the Fujifilm FinePix Z33WP for $133 and the Olympus Stylus 550 WP
> for $104.95. She isn't going to be doing underwater photography, but I
> want her to have something that she's not so worried about getting wet
> that she keeps it packed away in a waterproof bag the whole trip.
>
> Even though the A570IS is a better camera than either of those two, I just
> wonder how much of a hassle it is with those waterproof cases to do things
> like change the batteries, then get the camera back inside and make sure
> all the gaskets are properly seated and lubed.
>
> Has anyone here used one of the Canon waterproof cases?

I went through this late last year and settled on the Pentax W80. Personally
I only looked at cameras that use SD cards, just say no to xD.

On a 12 day Scout Jamboree that I just returned from the camera performed
very well both in and out of the water, the video was also quite good. At
times I gave it to other people including kids and they were easily able to
use it to get great results. If I was looking to do A3 printing I might have
looked at other cameras but the price, compact size and range of features
suited my needs. I have had no problems with the camera being fully imersed
in salt as well as fresh water so far. I did buy a couple of cheap
aftermarket batteries and they have been just as good as the original.

Cheers.

Pete

From: SMS on
Pete D wrote:

> On a 12 day Scout Jamboree that I just returned from the camera performed
> very well both in and out of the water, the video was also quite good. At
> times I gave it to other people including kids and they were easily able to
> use it to get great results. If I was looking to do A3 printing I might have
> looked at other cameras but the price, compact size and range of features
> suited my needs. I have had no problems with the camera being fully imersed
> in salt as well as fresh water so far. I did buy a couple of cheap
> aftermarket batteries and they have been just as good as the original.

Thanks. Yeah, I'd have to get some extra batteries too as there will
likely be no places to charge batteries along the way. Have you done
Northern Tier?
From: Pete D on

> Pete D wrote:
>
>> On a 12 day Scout Jamboree that I just returned from the camera performed
>> very well both in and out of the water, the video was also quite good. At
>> times I gave it to other people including kids and they were easily able
>> to use it to get great results. If I was looking to do A3 printing I
>> might have looked at other cameras but the price, compact size and range
>> of features suited my needs. I have had no problems with the camera being
>> fully imersed in salt as well as fresh water so far. I did buy a couple
>> of cheap aftermarket batteries and they have been just as good as the
>> original.
>
> Thanks. Yeah, I'd have to get some extra batteries too as there will
> likely be no places to charge batteries along the way. Have you done
> Northern Tier?

I assume you mean here www.ntier.org/

No that is a whole other country to where I am.

Cheers.

Pete

From: Ray Fischer on
SMS <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote:
>I need to get a waterproof camera for my daughter that's going on a
>week-long canoe camping scout outing in the summer.

dpreview did a review/comparison of several waterproof compact cameras
a few months ago. You'll find it here:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209waterproofgroup/

--
Ray Fischer