From: mith on
On 2009-12-13 18:37:04 +0000, Bruce said:

> On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 22:38:46 -0800 (PST), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Dec 12, 6:02�pm, Bruce <docnews2...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Barney Britton wrote some good and very fair reviews while at "Amateur
>>> Photographer". �He was not a particularly entertaining read but I
>>> don't recall any hint of bias.
>>
>> You obviously didn't read any of his Olympus reviews.
>

> I think I read more than one, and there was no hint of bias.
>
> The problem is that Olympus DSLRs are now a long way behind Canon and
> Nikon DSLRs in several important areas. Pointing that out in a review
> is being objective, not showing bias.

Are they? in which areas?

From: Bruce on
On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 17:41:59 +0000, mith wrote:
>On 2009-12-13 18:37:04 +0000, Bruce said:
>>
>> The problem is that Olympus DSLRs are now a long way behind Canon and
>> Nikon DSLRs in several important areas. Pointing that out in a review
>> is being objective, not showing bias.
>

>Are they? in which areas?

You really don't know?

Then I'm sure you will be happy with an Olympus. ;-)

From: mith on
On 2010-01-22 21:00:02 +0000, Bruce said:

> On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 17:41:59 +0000, mith wrote:
>> On 2009-12-13 18:37:04 +0000, Bruce said:
>>>
>>> The problem is that Olympus DSLRs are now a long way behind Canon and
>>> Nikon DSLRs in several important areas. Pointing that out in a review
>>> is being objective, not showing bias.
>>

>> Are they? in which areas?
>

> You really don't know?
>
> Then I'm sure you will be happy with an Olympus. ;-)

Did you lately use an Olympus E-30 or even an E-3? of corse you can't
compare them to a Canon or Nikon full frame, but they are not expensive
as one. E-3 still has one of the fastest auto focus you can find. The
system 4/3 has pretty great lenses (and its a system that was
completely designed to be used by digital cameras), and when you buy
4/3 lenses you pay less then the correspondent lenses to a Canon or
Nikon camera.

I know Canon has better cameras and all, but we are not talking about
full frame, so i would like to know in which areas is Canon better. All
the kit lenses that Canon puts on any camera on the same price range of
an Olympus is usually worst, you usually on Olympus have more buttons
to directly access things like ISO, WB, Autofocus mode, image
stabilization mode and so on (i used Nikon for some time d40, d60 and a
d90).

When talking about the same price range as an Olympus E-30, what can
you get better from Canon or Nikon?

And please talk about what you know, not about you heard. I didn't use
Canon for a long time but i used Nikon, and i must say that Olympus 4/3
systems and it's cameras are quite good and again when talking about
lenses you get lenses of great quality at a very affordable price.

From: David J Taylor on

"mith" wrote in message news:00c2061e$0$10743$c3e8da3(a)news.astraweb.com...
> On 2010-01-22 21:00:02 +0000, Bruce said:
[]
> Did you lately use an Olympus E-30 or even an E-3? of corse you can't
> compare them to a Canon or Nikon full frame, but they are not expensive
> as one. E-3 still has one of the fastest auto focus you can find. The
> system 4/3 has pretty great lenses (and its a system that was completely
> designed to be used by digital cameras), and when you buy 4/3 lenses you
> pay less then the correspondent lenses to a Canon or Nikon camera.

Except that you can't get the equivalent lenses. Leaving aside that the
superior in-lens image stabilisation is not available from Olympus,
consider my two favourite lenses - the lightweight and compact 16-85mm and
70-300mm Nikon VR for DX cameras. Where are the Olympus 12.2-65mm and
53-228mm lenses? Not available.

The nearest lightweight lenses seem to be 14-42mm and a 40-150mm, so a
much reduced total zoom range of 10.7:1 versus Nikon's 18.7:1. If you
accept the reduced zoom range, Nikon (and Canon) would offer 18-55mm and
55-200mm - an 11.1:1 range (including image stabilisation).

Warehouse Express prices:

Olympus:
14-42mm GBP 219
40-150mm GBP 244

Nikon:
18-55mm GBP 147 (127 without VR)
55-200mm GBP 239 (181 without VR)

so you pay quite a lot more for Olympus, and lose in-lens image
stabilisation as well.

David

From: Bruce on
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 16:44:58 GMT, "David J Taylor"
<david-taylor(a)blueyonder.delete-this-bit.and-this-part.co.uk.invalid>
wrote:
>"mith" wrote in message news:00c2061e$0$10743$c3e8da3(a)news.astraweb.com...
>> Did you lately use an Olympus E-30 or even an E-3? of corse you can't
>> compare them to a Canon or Nikon full frame, but they are not expensive
>> as one. E-3 still has one of the fastest auto focus you can find. The
>> system 4/3 has pretty great lenses (and its a system that was completely
>> designed to be used by digital cameras), and when you buy 4/3 lenses you
>> pay less then the correspondent lenses to a Canon or Nikon camera.
>
>Except that you can't get the equivalent lenses. Leaving aside that the
>superior in-lens image stabilisation is not available from Olympus,
>consider my two favourite lenses - the lightweight and compact 16-85mm and
>70-300mm Nikon VR for DX cameras. Where are the Olympus 12.2-65mm and
>53-228mm lenses? Not available.

Try searching for:

Olympus 12-60mm f2.8-4.0 SWD Zuiko Digital ED Lens
Olympus 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 SWD Zuiko Digital ED Lens

Outstanding, top quality glass.