From: RichA on
An announcement about and upcoming firmware improvement? Time was,
firmware announcements came out when the firmware was actually
available for download. Now we're seeing pre-release firmware
announcements? For what purpose? For sure, it's a sales technique,
provided by Canon and eagerly implemented by Dpreview.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1001/10012201canon1DIVfirmware.asp
From: G Paleologopoulos on
"RichA" <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote

> An announcement about and upcoming firmware improvement? Time was,
> firmware announcements came out when the firmware was actually
> available for download. Now we're seeing pre-release firmware
> announcements? For what purpose? For sure, it's a sales technique,
> provided by Canon and eagerly implemented by Dpreview.
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/1001/10012201canon1DIVfirmware.asp

Slow day, Rich??

From: GregS on
In article <98270ea5-7b5a-4e71-990c-2143b00d55a6(a)y12g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>, RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>An announcement about and upcoming firmware improvement? Time was,
>firmware announcements came out when the firmware was actually
>available for download. Now we're seeing pre-release firmware
>announcements? For what purpose? For sure, it's a sales technique,
>provided by Canon and eagerly implemented by Dpreview.
>
>http://www.dpreview.com/news/1001/10012201canon1DIVfirmware.asp

Also Imaging resource.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1264433844.html

From: Bruce on
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 16:26:08 GMT, zekfrivo(a)zekfrivolous.com (GregS)
wrote:

>In article <98270ea5-7b5a-4e71-990c-2143b00d55a6(a)y12g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>, RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>An announcement about and upcoming firmware improvement? Time was,
>>firmware announcements came out when the firmware was actually
>>available for download. Now we're seeing pre-release firmware
>>announcements? For what purpose? For sure, it's a sales technique,
>>provided by Canon and eagerly implemented by Dpreview.
>>
>>http://www.dpreview.com/news/1001/10012201canon1DIVfirmware.asp
>
>Also Imaging resource.
>http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1264433844.html

new equipment announcements.

This is partly due to the recession - all the manufacturers have cut
back investment to some degree - and partly due to the fact that we
are in a dead period between the holidays and PMA 2010.

There will be some major announcements before and during PMA (which
runs from February 21-23, 2010) but probably fewer new items than in
previous years because of the recession.

I note that PMA 2010 is to be held in Anaheim. There will be many
disappointed sales reps, marketing people, journos etc., who will
surely miss the "delights" of the fleshpots of Las Vegas. :-(