From: David J Taylor on
"mith" wrote in message news:01a12dfa$0$14196$c3e8da3(a)news.astraweb.com...
> On 2010-01-24 15:22:34 +0000, David J Taylor said:
[]
> The only thing that made me fuel this discussion was a rather sarcastic
> "You really don't know?" from Bruce, that i didn't like and i still
> think its innacurate as Olympus was a company that inovated in the
> digital camera market and still makes pretty good products (my 1st
> digital Olympus was an E-20 and i still love it today). Of corse Canon,
> Nikon and some others inovated too, but you can't dismiss a brand like
> Olympus like you did.
>
> Anyway, thanks for all the input :)

Yes, it's a pity when people have to bring in insults rather than
contribute something positive. There are one or two in my killfile for
just that reason.

I do hope it's not me who you think is dismissing Olympus - far from it.
Olympus was one of the cameras I considered when moving to DSLR - I got as
far as handling one after reading the reviews - although it wasn't my
final choice.

Cheers,
David

From: Bruce on
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 08:02:46 GMT, "David J Taylor"
<david-taylor(a)blueyonder.delete-this-bit.and-this-part.co.uk.invalid>
wrote:

>I do hope it's not me who you think is dismissing Olympus - far from it.
>Olympus was one of the cameras I considered when moving to DSLR - I got as
>far as handling one after reading the reviews - although it wasn't my
>final choice.

How you didn't choke on those words I will never know. ;-)

Your insincerity knows no bounds.

From: Ray Fischer on
Bruce <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 08:02:46 GMT, "David J Taylor"
><david-taylor(a)blueyonder.delete-this-bit.and-this-part.co.uk.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>I do hope it's not me who you think is dismissing Olympus - far from it.
>>Olympus was one of the cameras I considered when moving to DSLR - I got as
>>far as handling one after reading the reviews - although it wasn't my
>>final choice.
>
>How you didn't choke on those words I will never know. ;-)

Maybe not everybody is as much an arrogant snob as is you.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner on
J. Clarke <jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> wrote:
> Olympus may be outsmarting themselves. While there's certainly room in the
> market for an f/2.0 35-100 on 4/3, it seems like a strange place to start
> out on a system one of whose major benefits is supposed to be its
> compactness.

IMHO, you're half-right. The 35-100 f/2 is indeed huge, which is as
you say perhaps strange for a system that was supposed to enable
smaller, lighter lenses. (I rented both the 14-35 and 35-100 f/2 lenses
a while back, so I do have some personal knowledge of it.) However,
consider this: no competing company offers a direct replacement, at any
size, weight, or price point. The most similar products are at least a
full stop slower. The fact that the lens is as big as it is on 4/3
may suggest why it doesn't have direct competitors on other systems:
they'd be even huger.

--
Oh to have a lodge in some vast wilderness. Where rumors of oppression
and deceit, of unsuccessful and successful wars may never reach me
From: Bruce on
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 21:20:43 +0000 (UTC), Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner
<jdw(a)panix.com> wrote:

>J. Clarke <jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> wrote:
>> Olympus may be outsmarting themselves. While there's certainly room in the
>> market for an f/2.0 35-100 on 4/3, it seems like a strange place to start
>> out on a system one of whose major benefits is supposed to be its
>> compactness.
>
> IMHO, you're half-right. The 35-100 f/2 is indeed huge, which is as
>you say perhaps strange for a system that was supposed to enable
>smaller, lighter lenses. (I rented both the 14-35 and 35-100 f/2 lenses
>a while back, so I do have some personal knowledge of it.) However,
>consider this: no competing company offers a direct replacement, at any
>size, weight, or price point. The most similar products are at least a
>full stop slower. The fact that the lens is as big as it is on 4/3
>may suggest why it doesn't have direct competitors on other systems:
>they'd be even huger.

The Zuiko 35-100mm f/2 gives the equivalent angle of view and maximum
aperture of a 70-200mm f/2 on a full frame DSLR, or a 55-160mm f/2 on
an APS-C DSLR.

The very wide maximum aperture helps obtain faster shutter speeds and
partly compensates for the excess depth of field of Four Thirds when
compared with an f/2.8 lens of the same range of angles of view on
full frame. It fully compensates for the excess depth of field of
Four Thirds when compared with APS-C, all other things being equal.

As with all the pro grade Zuiko digital lenses, it is a stunning
performer. The nearest comparison would be the Nikon G and Canon L
70-200mm f/2.8 pro lenses. Optically, the Zuiko performs better than
either of them.