From: Bruce on
On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 15:34:10 GMT, "David J Taylor"
<david-taylor(a)blueyonder.delete-this-bit.and-this-part.co.uk.invalid>
wrote:

>I have dismissed nothing, simply stated that Olympus don't have the lenses
>I prefer whereas Nikon do.

Well, at least we have established that you prefer cheap, low
performing consumer grade lenses to anything optically superior.

Perhaps you cannot afford anything better, hence your blustering about
why the superior Olympus lenses don't suit your needs. It is, of
course, just bluster.

From: David J Taylor on
"Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 15:34:10 GMT, "David J Taylor"
> <david-taylor(a)blueyonder.delete-this-bit.and-this-part.co.uk.invalid>
> wrote:
>>
>>I have dismissed nothing, simply stated that Olympus don't have the
>>lenses
>>I prefer whereas Nikon do.
>

> Well, at least we have established that you prefer cheap, low
> performing consumer grade lenses to anything optically superior.
>
> Perhaps you cannot afford anything better, hence your blustering about
> why the superior Olympus lenses don't suit your needs. It is, of
> course, just bluster.

Far from it - we have established that I take a balanced view of what is
available, and purchase equipment which meets my own needs, without
incurring unnecessary expense.

David

From: David J Taylor on
"Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
[]
> I could have taken the same attitude with your snide comments above.
>
> It seems that such childish insults are your speciality, but I am
> mature enough to ignore them.

Bruce,

I have never intentionally made any attempt to insult you, or to make any
"snide comments". This will be obvious to anyone who reviews what I have
written. I am sorry if you have taken my technical discussions in such a
way.

Cheers,
David

From: John McWilliams on
Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 15:34:10 GMT, "David J Taylor"
> <david-taylor(a)blueyonder.delete-this-bit.and-this-part.co.uk.invalid>
> wrote:
>> I have dismissed nothing, simply stated that Olympus don't have the lenses
>> I prefer whereas Nikon do.
>

> Well, at least we have established that you prefer cheap, low
> performing consumer grade lenses to anything optically superior.
>
> Perhaps you cannot afford anything better, hence your blustering about
> why the superior Olympus lenses don't suit your needs. It is, of
> course, just bluster.

Wow! And this from a guy who complained of cheap shots. DJT has never
been a blusterer.

Perhaps you could post some images???

--
lsmft
From: mith on
On 2010-01-24 15:22:34 +0000, David J Taylor said:

>> A couple of years ago I was in the market for a long zoom lens to use
>> for wildlife photography. Was told to get an F2.8 lens, because it would
>> help in dark rainforests. Bigger, heavier and more expensive than an F4
>> or F5.6 lens, but definitely more suitable for wildlife photography in
>> rainforests. The bottom line is that you buy the lens you need and if a
>> F4 lens is not bright enough you have to get an F2.8 or F2 lens.
>> --
>>
>> Alfred Molon
>
> As I said, different people would make different choices, as they have
> different needs and budgets. My own preference is to turn up the ISO
> and save on both weight, bulk, and expense - I don't do enough of the
> type of photography which might justify something more expensive. It's
> just a hobby for me.
>
> Cheers,
> David

As i see it now its better to just leave this discussion since its not
getting anywere. In th end we will just stick to the camera maker we
like more. As this moment i like Olympus and i have my own reasons to
like it. Others might like Canon or Nikon and that is natural. I still
dont agree that a some grams or 0.2 inches more are a big burden, but
that is my opinion. I am whilling to pay more for better lenses so i
dont have to use high ISOs, but we all have different ways of making
photos.

The only thing that made me fuel this discussion was a rather sarcastic
"You really don't know?" from Bruce, that i didn't like and i still
think its innacurate as Olympus was a company that inovated in the
digital camera market and still makes pretty good products (my 1st
digital Olympus was an E-20 and i still love it today). Of corse Canon,
Nikon and some others inovated too, but you can't dismiss a brand like
Olympus like you did.

Anyway, thanks for all the input :)