From: Russ (SBITS.Biz) [SBS-MVP] on
On August 1, Microsoft will be making the
microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs Newsgroup Read only.

What does this mean?
This means on August 1st you will no longer be able to post messages through
the
Microsoft Communities Server (msnews.microsoft.com)

Why?
As you may know, newsgroups have existed for many years now; however, the
traffic in the Microsoft newsgroups has been steadily decreasing for the
past several years while customers and participants are increasingly finding
solutions in the forums on Microsoft properties and third party sites. This
move will unify the customer experience, centralize content, make it easier
for active contributors to retain their influence, mitigate redundancies and
make the content easier to find by customers and search engines through
improved indexing. Additionally, forums offer a better user and spam
management platform that will improve customer satisfaction by encouraging a
healthy discussion in a clean community space. To this end, Microsoft will
begin to progressively shift available resources to the forums technology
and discontinue support for newsgroups.

What if you want to continue to use your NNTP Reader?
For those users who prefer to use an NNTP (newsgroup) reader to participate
in the
newsgroups community, Microsoft has developed a solution called the NNTP
Bridge
which allows a user to connect a variety of supported NNTP readers to the
forums they would like to participate in and continue having the NTTP reader
functionality. You can find instructions on how to download and set up the

Microsoft NNTP Bridge
http://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums/

Another "Non Microsoft" support NNTP Bridge can be found here :
MS Web-Forums via an open source NNTP newsserver (bridge).
http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/

Which Newsgroups Are Affected by this Shutdown?
All public newsgroups will eventually be closed between June 1, 2010 and
October 1, 2010. Microsoft will be closing newsgroups in a phased approach,
starting with the least active newsgroups and moving eventually to more
active ones throughout the course of the next four months.

Where Should I go with the Closure of this Newsgroup?
Microsoft has a large selection of forums, many of which cover either the
same or closely related technologies to the ones found in the newsgroups.
The forums have seen amazing growth and are an excellent place to continue
the discussion.

For SBS related questions we recommend that you start with Public Forum
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/smallbusinessserver/

Should you want to visit the other Microsoft Public Forums, please go to
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/forums/default.mspx

Who Should I Contact with any Questions?
Send any questions about the process, recommended forums and timing to
WSSDComm(a)microsoft.com.

Russ
FYI:

I have made a easy to remember URL redirect as http://www.SBSRepair.com
instead of typing
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/smallbusinessserver/threads

Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP] MCP, MCPS, MCNPS, SBSC
Remote Small Business Server/Computer Support - www.SBITS.Biz
BPOS - Microsoft Online Services - www.BPOSMadeEasy.com
Easy Redirect to Microsoft's New SBS Public Forum - www.SBSRepair.com

From: Leythos on
In article <uT9AnUHJLHA.1996(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>,
russ(a)REMOVETHIS.sbits.biz says...
> On August 1, Microsoft will be making the
> microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs Newsgroup Read only.

Not technically true - it will only be READ ONLY if you access it from
Microsofts servers, as microsoft does not control any other companies
servers.

So, anyone using non-MS servers will be able to read and post as they
could before MS left Usenet.

Remember, people were getting support for Microsoft products in Usenet
before Microsoft even learned there was an Internet or NNTP service.

Trust yourself.
From: Russ (SBITS.Biz) [SBS-MVP] on
This is why I mentioned from Microsoft Communities Server
(msnews.microsoft.com)
and no other servers.
Russ

From: Milhouse Van Houten on
In case anyone is looking for a good news server in these times where many
ISPs no longer offer any, this one works well and seems to have most
microsoft groups:
http://www.eternal-september.org/groups.php?hierarchy=microsoft

From: Leythos on
In article <i1rev6$blr$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, btvs(a)myrealbox.com
says...
> In case anyone is looking for a good news server in these times where many
> ISPs no longer offer any, this one works well and seems to have most
> microsoft groups:
> http://www.eternal-september.org/groups.php?hierarchy=microsoft

And many people that have been on Usenet for a long time will KILL FILE
posts from ES because of how they allow abusive post.

Trust yourself.