From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Dex" <Dex(a)me.com>

| I'm sure it would catch plenty of stuff in .rar and .zip files without
| unpacking them too, but I'd rather have a scanner capable of unpacking
| simple executable files. Even WinRAR will unpack SP3-x86-ENU.exe

| Avast was my main scanner, had it added to my download manager so
| anything downloaded was automatically scanned, but now with v5 the only
| way it'll work is with it running in the background, so I have to
| install the executable Sandboxed so Avira can 'look inside'.

| Or start Avast before downloading anything. Just looking for a on-demand
| replacement for Avast.

How about my Multi AV Scanning Tool which provides scanners from; Sophos, McAfee, Trend
Micro and Kaspersky. The Kaspersky mdule is VERY good at scanning inside packaged
installers.

--
Dave

From: Dex on
David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "Dex" <Dex(a)me.com>
>
> | Dex wrote:

>>> They're not locked. Avira sees them as one file, Avast unpacks them to
>>> scan what's inside.
>
> | As an example, XP Service pack 3, WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe
>
> | Avast scans 22,346 files, Avira scans... 1 file. So malware could be
> | embedded in it and Avira will pass it.
>
> Yes, you are right and this can be an installer package.
>
> However, when the installer unpacks the files they will be scanned.

Not here. Both Avira and Avast are on-demand, nothing resident, all
services and start-ups disables and turned off... Well Avast v4 was. :)

I will only use scanners in on-demand mode only, right click and scan.
Simply because no matter what they say, they always turn your 2.5GHz CPU
into a 80O MHz one.

From: gufus on
Hi WaIIy,

27 Mar 10, WaIIy writes to All:

> From: WaIIy@

> On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 10:54:15 -0600, "gufus"
> <stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca> wrote:

>> So... who's RIGHT?

> I guess find a known infected .exe and check it.

Busy doing a del *. Avira v10

--
K Klement

Enhance your marketing at http://www.gypsy-designs.com
mailto:info(a)gypsy-designs.com
Gypsy Designs Fax: (403) 242-3221

.... Life is to you a dashing and bold adventure.