From: Dex on
Now that Avast v5 needs to be running in the background to scan selected
files from the context menu, can anyone recommend another scanner that
will work purely on-demand only, this includes services loaded at
startup.

Already have Avira v10, but it lacks scanning inside a lot of .exe files.

Using XP Pro SP3.

From: Sir_George on
I use Avira AV and have never had, nor heard of anyone else having, a
problem scanning "exe" extensions. I am currently using the Premium (paid)
version 10.0.0.597.

I am using Windows 7 as the operating system, but had no problems with XP
Pro SP3 prior to upgrading.

What "exe" files are locked when trying to scan with Avira?

--
Sir_George

From: Dex on
Sir_George wrote:
> I use Avira AV and have never had, nor heard of anyone else having, a
> problem scanning "exe" extensions. I am currently using the Premium
> (paid) version 10.0.0.597.
>
> I am using Windows 7 as the operating system, but had no problems with
> XP Pro SP3 prior to upgrading.
>
> What "exe" files are locked when trying to scan with Avira?

They're not locked. Avira sees them as one file, Avast unpacks them to
scan what's inside.
From: Dex on
Dex wrote:
> Sir_George wrote:
>> I use Avira AV and have never had, nor heard of anyone else having, a
>> problem scanning "exe" extensions. I am currently using the Premium
>> (paid) version 10.0.0.597.
>>
>> I am using Windows 7 as the operating system, but had no problems with
>> XP Pro SP3 prior to upgrading.
>>
>> What "exe" files are locked when trying to scan with Avira?
>>

> They're not locked. Avira sees them as one file, Avast unpacks them to
> scan what's inside.

As an example, XP Service pack 3, WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe

Avast scans 22,346 files, Avira scans... 1 file. So malware could be
embedded in it and Avira will pass it.
From: gufus on
From: Dex
Subj: Re: On-Demand onlySat, 27 Mar 2010 15:17:50 +0000

Hello, Dex!

??>> Sir_George wrote:
??>>> I use Avira AV and have never had, nor heard of anyone else having, a
??>>> problem scanning "exe" extensions. I am currently using the Premium
??>>> (paid) version 10.0.0.597.
??>>>
??>>> I am using Windows 7 as the operating system, but had no problems
??>>> with XP Pro SP3 prior to upgrading.
??>>>
??>>> What "exe" files are locked when trying to scan with Avira?
??>>>
??>> They're not locked. Avira sees them as one file, Avast unpacks them to
??>> scan what's inside.

D> As an example, XP Service pack 3, WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe

Start of the scan: Saturday, March 27, 2010 10:13

Starting the file scan:

Begin scan in 'C:\WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe'
C:\WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe
[WARNING] The file could not be opened!

End of the scan: Saturday, March 27, 2010 10:13
Used time: 00:00 Minute(s)

The scan has been done completely.

0 Scanned directories
1 Files were scanned
0 Viruses and/or unwanted programs were found
0 Files were classified as suspicious
0 files were deleted
0 Viruses and unwanted programs were repaired
0 Files were moved to quarantine
0 Files were renamed
1 Files cannot be scanned
0 Files not concerned
0 Archives were scanned
1 Warnings
0 Notes

--
With best regards, gufus. E-mail: stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca