From: MoeBlee on
Rupert wrote:
> Edward Nelson, on the other hand, has done
> some interesting research about certain weak axiomatic theories in
> arithmetic, which may embody his stance. See his book "Predicative
> Arithmetic".

Thanks. I just downloaded it for free as a PDF file. And the first
chapter of his unfinished book on IST too. Do you have any other
recommendations?

What do you think of the system Shaughan Lavine gives in his
'Understanding The Infinite'? (I've read some high praise for this
book.) I only saw the book briefly, so I didn't have a chance to ponder
his system. But ab initio in my thinking about this, I can't imagine
how an ultrafinitist can give a truly rigorous axioimatization in which
there is largest natural and block us from adding 1 to that largest
natural (the paradox of the heap, as it were). But, of course, I need
to study the systems to see for myself, since otherwise my questions
are uninformed.

And, aside from that one chapter by Nelson, do you know of a good
explanation (rigorous but not so difficult that it starts with advanced
concepts).of axioms for IST? I saw a book by Alain Robert but it's not
what I'd like; it's more of sketchbook of ideas than it is a tight
theorem by theorem treatment. And some of the other books I found in
the QA299 section of the library jump right into more advanced stuff
way too fast for me.

MoeBlee

From: MoeBlee on
Bill Taylor wrote:
> Is the following a reasonable point of view, do people think?
>
> I'm still kind of wondering where Yessenin-Volpin, Edward Nelson,
> and other ultrafinitists are coming from.
>
> They purport to find, or rather take the public stance of finding,
> that the concept of "all the naturals" is confusing and vague,
> whereas it is indeed *crystal-clear* to the rest of us.

To be fair, for example, I just read an essay by Abraham Robinson in
which he denies that he can conceive of an infinite set. He does endose
working with infinite sets as ideal objects in a formal theory, but he
makes crystal clear that to him the concept of an infinite set is
meaningless otherwise.

> Some time ago, back in the late seventies to early eighties,
> there was a brief flurry of interest from fringe mathematicians
> in "fuzzy math". It was never quite clear what this was, but it
> still has a small amount of library shelf space, though perhaps
> little or no presence in math departments in academia.
> It seemed to be (AFAICT), basically, that joke that
> used to go around about "Generalized Mathematics" -

Yet I see more and more new books on the shelves every time I visit the
library that have titles with the word 'fuzzy' in them, and these are
usually Springer Verlag books, including textbooks and collections of
articles and reportings of conference proceedings. Some of the material
seems to be computer science, but plenty of it is categorized as
mathematics. Well, my just saying that there are a lot of new books,
written by professional mathematicians, with the words 'fuzzy' in the
title is not an argument that fuzzy is an important area of study, but
it at least gives me some reason to doubt claims that it is not
currently an important area of study.

MoeBlee

From: Dave L. Renfro on

MoeBlee wrote (in part):

> Yet I see more and more new books on the shelves every time
> I visit the library that have titles with the word 'fuzzy'
> in them, and these are usually Springer Verlag books,
> including textbooks and collections of articles and
> reportings of conference proceedings. Some of the material
> seems to be computer science, but plenty of it is categorized
> as mathematics. Well, my just saying that there are a lot
> of new books, written by professional mathematicians,
> with the words 'fuzzy' in the title is not an argument
> that fuzzy is an important area of study, but it at
> least gives me some reason to doubt claims that it is
> not currently an important area of study.

If you glance through some of the bound volumes of
Mathematical Reviews, looking at subject areas 26, 28,
and 54 from the mid 1970's to the late 1990's (maybe
glance at one month's issue every two or three years),
you'll find a huge increase in titles with "fuzzy"
in them as the years go by. This might be a bit harsh,
but it almost seems as if certain mathematicians, who
otherwise had done nothing very deep or interesting,
decided they could get a lot of mileage by going
through and fuzzifying certain areas of pure mathematics
(those areas they had graduate courses in). In many cases,
it appears to me that the people writing the papers are
coming from just outside of mathematics (economics,
computer science, etc.) and the papers tend to reflect
where they're at in learning standard graduate mathematics
(i.e. learn about the open mapping theorem, then write
a paper where the theorem and proof receive straightforward
fuzzified translations). Try googling "fuzzy" with various
math words and phrases from analysis and topology:

http://www.google.com/search?q=fuzzy-topology
http://www.google.com/search?q=fuzzy+open-mapping-theorem
http://www.google.com/search?q=fuzzy+Baire-category
http://www.google.com/search?q=fuzzy+tychonoff-theorem
http://www.google.com/search?q=fuzzy-measure-theory
http://www.google.com/search?q=fuzzy-uniform-space
http://www.google.com/search?q=fuzzy+Banach-limits
http://www.google.com/search?q=fuzzy+convergence-in-measure
http://www.google.com/search?q=fuzzy+stone-weierstrass-theorem
http://www.google.com/search?q=fuzzy-Banach-space

You get the idea, I think.

Dave L. Renfro

From: Rupert on

MoeBlee wrote:
> Rupert wrote:
> > Edward Nelson, on the other hand, has done
> > some interesting research about certain weak axiomatic theories in
> > arithmetic, which may embody his stance. See his book "Predicative
> > Arithmetic".
>
> Thanks. I just downloaded it for free as a PDF file. And the first
> chapter of his unfinished book on IST too. Do you have any other
> recommendations?

I'm afraid I don't know all that much about it. There's a famous essay
by Yessenin-Volpin called "The Ultraintuitionistic Criticism and the
Antitraditional Program for Foundations of Mathematics", in
"Intuitionism and Proof Theory, Proceedings of the Conference at
Buffalo 1968, North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1970." Some people like that
essay but it doesn't have enough of what I can recognize as
mathematical content for my taste. He announced that he had a
consistency proof for ZF with any finite number of inaccessible
cardinals, but apparently that proof is hard to get hold of, which is a
shame.

These might be interesting:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/v76473730365861x/

http://www.turpion.org/php/paper.phtml?journal_id=rm&paper_id=2870

http://math.ucsd.edu/~sbuss/ResearchWeb/nelson/paper.pdf

I can't actually find the one I was looking for, which talked about
"Nelson's Program".

> What do you think of the system Shaughan Lavine gives in his
> 'Understanding The Infinite'?

I haven't seen it.

> (I've read some high praise for this
> book.) I only saw the book briefly, so I didn't have a chance to ponder
> his system. But ab initio in my thinking about this, I can't imagine
> how an ultrafinitist can give a truly rigorous axioimatization in which
> there is largest natural and block us from adding 1 to that largest
> natural (the paradox of the heap, as it were).

I don't think they would go about it that way. They could use a very
weak arithmetic in which only functions of very low computational
complexity could be proved total. Then only fairly small numbers could
be feasibly defined. They could even add an axiom saying that e.g. the
exponential function is not total, which would give rise to a theory
with nonstandard models. Nelson developed an alternative foundation for
probability theory using such an arithmetic.

> But, of course, I need
> to study the systems to see for myself, since otherwise my questions
> are uninformed.
>

> And, aside from that one chapter by Nelson, do you know of a good
> explanation (rigorous but not so difficult that it starts with advanced
> concepts).of axioms for IST?

Sorry, no.

From: galathaea on

Eckard Blumschein wrote:
> On 10/29/2006 3:04 AM, galathaea wrote:
>
> > ultrafinitsm takes a conceptual step beyond finitism
> > by stressing that
> > not only is mathematics a finite process
> > but there exist hard limits
> >
> > there is no potential infinity
>
> Mueckenheim was blamed an ultrafinitist. However, he denies the actual
> infinity while the potential infinity seems to be obvious to anybody.

plutarch was caught writing
"as the indifferent
is the mean between good and evil
so there is some mean
between finite and infinite"

> > or legitimate means to assume
> > a process can be continued indefinitely
> >
> > in any derivation
> >
> > it is necessary to question
> > for any process specification
> > whether that process can complete
> > "within the limits of resources"
> > available to mathematics
> >
> > because
> > they insist
> > mathematics is a physical process
> > and one day too may suffer the entropic decay
>
> Mueckenheim obviously shares this view. I do not understand why he
> cannot accept mathematics like dealing with the two abstract ideas
> number and continuum.
>
> One alternative after the other failed to unmask Cantors paradise as
> what I consider the Dedekind-Cantor Utopia. Kronecker even called the
> natural numbers given by the Lord. Brouwer even intended to improve set
> theory. Weyl suggested an atomist continuum.
>
> Even Cantor and Hilbert started at some sound finitist views. Now
> ultrafinitism is rumored to be the most silly counterpoint to formalism.
>
> Tell me please whether or not there is a drawer you may put me in?
> I consider the world of (countable) numbers quite different from the
> complementing world of (uncountable) continuum. In principle Cantor was
> conjecturing almost the same when he believed that there is nothing
> between aleph_0 and aleph_1.

at some point
we all must return to democrites
and the dilemma of the cone

galathaea: prankster, fablist, magician, liar

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Modal Logic
Next: The Definition of Points