From: Rupert on

MoeBlee wrote:
> Rupert wrote:
>
> > At least with Nelson
> > that's made clear. Nelson's work indisputably has some serious
> > mathematical content which is of interest to mathematicians regardless
> > of their foundational stance. It's really quite startling how serious
> > his skepticism is: he is actually making serious efforts to prove the
> > inconsistency of EFA.
>
> EFA? Is that PA without induction schema but with two axioms for
> exponentiation?

It has the axioms for Robinson Arithmetic, and a symbol for
exponentiation with axioms giving the recursive definition of this
symbol, and induction for all formulae where the quantifiers are
bounded by a term in the language not including the quantified
variable. It can be interpreted in a quantifier-free version which is a
subtheory of Primitive Recursive Arithmetic, with only symbols for the
elementary functions (those whose computing time is O(2^n), or
O(2^2^n), etc.).

From: MoeBlee on
Rupert wrote:
> It has the axioms for Robinson Arithmetic, and a symbol for
> exponentiation with axioms giving the recursive definition of this
> symbol, and induction for all formulae where the quantifiers are
> bounded by a term in the language not including the quantified
> variable. It can be interpreted in a quantifier-free version which is a
> subtheory of Primitive Recursive Arithmetic, with only symbols for the
> elementary functions (those whose computing time is O(2^n), or
> O(2^2^n), etc.).

Okay, thanks.

MoeBlee

From: R. Srinivasan on

On Oct 27, 9:37 am, "Bill Taylor" <w.tay...(a)math.canterbury.ac.nz>
wrote:
> Is the following a reasonable point of view, do people think?
>
> I'm still kind of wondering where Yessenin-Volpin, Edward Nelson,
> and other ultrafinitists are coming from.
>
> They purport to find, or rather take the public stance of finding,
> that the concept of "all the naturals" is confusing and vague,
> whereas it is indeed *crystal-clear* to the rest of us. I'm sure
> it was once crystal clear to them too. It is NOT necessarily
> crystal clear, initially, to the non-mathematician - sometimes
> I've had CS or business students (amazingly) wonder
> "do the numbers go on for ever", though they are
> always happy with the simple answer "yes".
>
> But by and large, it might almost be considered a criterion to
> be a "natural mathematician", that the idea of N, the naturals,
> is crystal clear. (As opposed to, say, an intelligent doctor
> or lawyer who may have doubts about it.)
>
> Now, given this, what are we to make of ultrafinitists,
> who purport to find vagueness or ambiguity in this basic
> crystalline abstract jewell of ours, but who nevertheless seem
> to be reputable mathematicians. At least it seems so, judging
> from the fact that they get quite a bit of air time.
>
> My take is this, and I wonder if it is a reasonable view?
>
> """
>
> Some time ago, back in the late seventies to early eighties,
> there was a brief flurry of interest from fringe mathematicians
> in "fuzzy math". It was never quite clear what this was, but it
> still has a small amount of library shelf space, though perhaps
> little or no presence in math departments in academia.
> It seemed to be (AFAICT), basically, that joke that
> used to go around about "Generalized Mathematics" -
>
> * "In Orthodox math we derive true results by valid means;
> * in Generalized math both these restrictions are dropped!"
>
> Anyway, one can hardly say that Fuzzy math even died -
> it was practically still-born... math departments
> gave it very short shrift.
>
> """
>
> So finally, my question is this:- is it a fair point of view
> to regard ultrafinitism as essentially, fuzzy mathematical logic?
>
> They insist on keeping a fuzzy view on what is the largest
> feasible number, and similarly with the largest feasible
> derivation; indeed feasible anything - the very concept
> of feasibility seems to be the ultimate in fuzzy concepts.
> This viewpoint is *not necessarily* a negative one,
> I must point out. It may be that (unknown to me) there IS
> a lot of value in fuzzy math, whatever FM may be.
> This being so, there could easily be value in
> ultrafinitist math logic, also.
>
> So without necessarily making any approbation or
> disapprobation of either, is it fair to regard ultrafinitism
> as "fuzzy mathematical logic"?

I believe that the logic NAFL (see
<http://arxiv.org/abs/math.LO/0506475>) has an element of ultrafinitism
in it, and my hunch is that this is the correct way to go about it. I
claim this even though the infinite class of all natural numbers (N)
provably exists in the NAFL version of PA. The reason is that in NAFL,
the claim that there is a maximum element m in N, but we cannot know
what m is, is the *same* as saying that N is an infinite class. Since m
is unspecified, it must be in a superposed state of all possible values
and this makes N an infinite class. Thus the notion of "all" or
"infinitely many" is already fuzzy enough to capture ultrafinitism in
NAFL.

For example, let us say we set up a quantum algorithm in NAFL (at the
moment this is a distant dream) which has the ability to access random
natural numbers. So the algorithm will access m. Since m is unknowable,
the quantum algorithm has theoretically exhibited infinite parallelism,
i.e., has accessed infinitely many natural numbers at the same time.
One might be tempted to dub this as "physically impossible". But in
practice, when the algorithm is actually implemented on a physical
quantum computer, what has been accessed may be thought of as a
theoretically unpredictable, large natural number m.

Regards, RS

From: Keith Ramsay on
Bill Taylor wrote:
|I'm still kind of wondering where Yessenin-Volpin, Edward Nelson,
|and other ultrafinitists are coming from.

I'd suggest reading their books and papers carefully, and trying to
figure out what they mean by what they're writing, piecemeal.
Trying to take it all in in one grand sweep isn't probably going to
give you a good grasp of what they're trying to say.

|They purport to find, or rather take the public stance of finding,
|that the concept of "all the naturals" is confusing and vague,
|whereas it is indeed *crystal-clear* to the rest of us.

I don't know of any reason to think that they're being insincere in any
of their "public stances", so it seems a little unfair to write as if
this were
more of an issue for them than it is for anybody.

I think it would be good to try to pose the question in a more neutral
way. To say that it *is indeed* clear to "us" while they just "find" it
not
so clear is basically to start out by assuming they're wrong. I realize
you've come to that conclusion and are simply describing the situation
as you see it, but I think it still is easier to grasp someone else's
position
if you describe it more neutrally. There are plenty of people who'd say
that "it *is* crystal clear to us that Jesus loves us" whereas there
are
those like us who merely "find" it doubtful... and around here there
are more of them than of us. And I think part of why many of them
find it hard to understand us is that they approach it as a matter of
explaining how, *given* that it is *so* breathtakingly clear, some
people don't find it so.

So start by taking it only as a sense of clarity, knowing that there
can
be a spurious sense of clarity as well as a spurious sense of
unclarity.

I'm unsure whether "confusing" is the right descriptive terms here.
That's not the way I remember either Nelson or Essenin-Volpin
describing it, although perhaps I don't remember. "Confusing" is a
subjective property that often says more about the person being
confused than the thing they're confused about. I don't remember
either of them claiming to be confused.

Both of them have something to say about the natural numbers that
we "can" count to, and I don't know of anybody who disputes that
this is vague because of the fuzziness of the concept of ability. I
think
both of them are well aware that this is different from the usual
notion
of "N" the set of all natural numbers. It seems more pertinent to say
that each of them has doubts about the existence of "N", the thing that
mathematicians assume exists

The way one usually defines "finite" and the definition of "N" are very
closely related. I don't think Nelson has any trouble at all describing
the theory that mathematicians usually work with, describing "N", nor
does he seem to say that it's described in a nonrigorous way. It's just
that he doubts it's factually correct.

|I'm sure
|it was once crystal clear to them too.

I don't know how Essenin-Volpin's views changed with time. Nelson
describes having had a kind of epiphany in which he lost the belief
in N. Perhaps it's fair to say he came to believe there is no "N".

|It is NOT necessarily
|crystal clear, initially, to the non-mathematician - sometimes
|I've had CS or business students (amazingly) wonder
|"do the numbers go on for ever", though they are
|always happy with the simple answer "yes".

I don't think it's so amazing that people are puzzled by the idea
that in some sense there "exist" more numbers than have ever
been thought of. In what sense do they "exist", many have
asked.

|But by and large, it might almost be considered a criterion to
|be a "natural mathematician", that the idea of N, the naturals,
|is crystal clear. (As opposed to, say, an intelligent doctor
|or lawyer who may have doubts about it.)

You can point to lots of cases of students progressing from finding
something unclear to finding something clear. I think once a person
has the understanding of a Ph.D. in mathematics of such a concept
as "natural number" and they stop finding it obviously sound, it's very
rarely a matter of their regressing in understanding. I think it's more
question of trust. Certainly there appear to be people who fail to
understand the critique of the natural numbers as impredicative,
not at all because they can see more clearly, but because they see
the issue less clearly.

I think we may not be in a good position to address the question of
what it's reasonable to doubt, whether for example it's reasonable to
consider the consistency of PA to be seriously uncertain. On what
objective basis could one assign it a probability near 1, say? The kind
of
rationality that comes with science, almost required by science, mainly
calls for not being overly certain of things without a reason. If one
wants to address the reasonableness of these people, I think one has
mainly to set aside such questions as "is he sure that N exists?" as
being
too personal and subjective to be relevant.

To understand Essenin-Volpin, I think it helps to remember that he was
a Soviet dissident. He took the approach of calling on the authorities
to obey the law. He would go to trials of other dissidents, which were
often conducted in places that were difficult to go to, taking with him
a copy of the Soviet legal code requiring that trials be open,
asserting
that they were therefore REQUIRED to let him in.

One of Essenin-Volpin's claims is that mathematical argument
should be noncoercive. When assumptions are invoked, they should
be stated openly, and open to questioning, just like laws. A lot of
what
I've seen him write amounts to laying out various issues to be
investigated this way.

I think for the most part the real issue is not whether there's a valid
point being made by these guys, but whether there's much to be done
about it. I think to a large extent assumptions like mathematical
induction are accepted because their consequences are interesting from
various points of view: intellectually, for the sake of applications,
and
so on. Investigations of what follows from weaker assumptions is not
considered as interesting, and it's mainly done by logicians who aren't
considered ultrafinitists. (Studies of fragments of arithmetic are not
to be sneezed at, however! It's just that it's not on the same scale as
classical mathematics as a whole.)

|Now, given this, what ar
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4