From: Martin Liddle on
For several years I have moderated an online community for professional
users of finite element analysis software which currently has about 4000
subscribers spread around the world and a typical traffic of 50 to 100
messages per day. It started off as an auto responder on someone's PC
then moved to OneList and then Yahoo Groups and for the last seven years
has used MailMan supplemented more recently with a phpBB Forum and a
slightly flaky interface between the two using Mail2Forum. Currently
the server is hosted free of charge by a company in the USA but the man
time involved in maintaining things is becoming too much for them. Hence
I am looking around for ideas as to what to do next. Other than MailMan
and phpBB what software is there for hosting an online community?
Ideally something that allows both email and forum style access but is
better integrated than MailMan and phpBB.
--
Martin Liddle, Tynemouth Computer Services, 3 Kentmere Way,
Staveley, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S43 3TW.
From: Tom Anderson on
On Mon, 26 Apr 2010, Martin Liddle wrote:

> For several years I have moderated an online community for professional
> users of finite element analysis software which currently has about 4000
> subscribers spread around the world and a typical traffic of 50 to 100
> messages per day. It started off as an auto responder on someone's PC
> then moved to OneList and then Yahoo Groups and for the last seven years
> has used MailMan supplemented more recently with a phpBB Forum and a
> slightly flaky interface between the two using Mail2Forum. Currently
> the server is hosted free of charge by a company in the USA but the man
> time involved in maintaining things is becoming too much for them. Hence
> I am looking around for ideas as to what to do next. Other than MailMan
> and phpBB what software is there for hosting an online community?
> Ideally something that allows both email and forum style access but is
> better integrated than MailMan and phpBB.

Google Groups. Or Yahoo Groups, i think. The former certainly allows
access by both email (including to non-gmail addresses) and through the
web; i only know the latter as an email group.

But you already left Yahoo Groups. What was the problem there?

tom

--
Understanding the universe is the final purpose, as far as I'm
concerned. -- Ian York
From: Martin Liddle on
In message <alpine.DEB.1.10.1004262346370.14878(a)urchin.earth.li>, Tom
Anderson <twic(a)urchin.earth.li> writes
>On Mon, 26 Apr 2010, Martin Liddle wrote:
>

>But you already left Yahoo Groups. What was the problem there?

It wasn't very reliable and when it went down it was virtually
impossible to contact a real person to find out what was wrong and when
it might return.
From: Owain on
On 26 Apr, 22:54, Martin Liddle wrote:
> I am looking around for ideas as to what to do next.  Other than MailMan
> and phpBB what software is there for hosting an online community?
> Ideally something that allows both email and forum style access but is
> better integrated than MailMan and phpBB.

An in-house NNTP server ?

Owain

From: Martin Liddle on
In message <gxH5R1C+tg1LFwZO(a)tynecomp.invalid>, Martin Liddle
<news09(a)tynecomp.co.uk> writes
> Other than MailMan and phpBB what software is there for hosting an
>online community? Ideally something that allows both email and forum
>style access but is better integrated than MailMan and phpBB.

I have been doing a bit of digging on this and two possibilities are
Zoho Discussions <http://discussions.zoho.com/> and GroupServer.org
<http://groupserver.org>. Does anyone have experience with either of
these?