From: Jonathan Campbell on
I have Orange Internet Everywhere (Huawei e1752 modem) working on a
Windows machine. It seems that it was installed on this machine using
a disk. From what I'm told, this required almost no interaction or
input.

When I attempt to use with Ubuntu 9.10 (Preferences, Network ???),
password(s) and other information is requested; I have no idea how to
reply.

Anyone with a quick fix for me?

I know I'm being vague, but I've recently have had to move to a care
home and everything has suddenly become difficult to impossible.

TIA,

Jon C.
From: Jonathan Campbell on
On 25 Apr, 15:11, Jonathan Campbell <jg.campbell...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I have Orange Internet Everywhere (Huawei e1752 modem) working on a
> Windows machine. It seems that it was installed on this machine using
> a disk. From what I'm told, this required almost no interaction or
> input.
>
> When I attempt to use with Ubuntu 9.10 (Preferences, Network ???),
> password(s) and other information is requested; I have no idea how to
> reply.

I should add that I've done everything suggested in:

http://blog.simple2web.ie/?p=363

especially installing and running 'usb_modeswitch'.

Best regards,

Jon C.

From: Chris Whelan on
On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 07:11:58 -0700, Jonathan Campbell wrote:

> I have Orange Internet Everywhere (Huawei e1752 modem) working on a
> Windows machine. It seems that it was installed on this machine using a
> disk. From what I'm told, this required almost no interaction or input.

The installation software is embedded in the USB device; plugging it in
starts the process.

> When I attempt to use with Ubuntu 9.10 (Preferences, Network ???),
> password(s) and other information is requested; I have no idea how to
> reply.
>
> Anyone with a quick fix for me?
>
> I know I'm being vague, but I've recently have had to move to a care
> home and everything has suddenly become difficult to impossible.
>
> TIA,
>
> Jon C.

I don't have specific information on the settings you need, as I don't
use Orange for mobile broadband, but O2 provide the details needed in the
leaflet that comes with the device. For the Vodaphone one which I am
currently using on a dual-boot netbook, I copied the information needed
from the Windows install.

HTH.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
From: Dave Gibson on
Jonathan Campbell <jg.campbell.ng(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25 Apr, 15:11, Jonathan Campbell <jg.campbell...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have Orange Internet Everywhere (Huawei e1752 modem) working on a
>> Windows machine. It seems that it was installed on this machine using
>> a disk. From what I'm told, this required almost no interaction or
>> input.
>>
>> When I attempt to use with Ubuntu 9.10 (Preferences, Network ???),
>> password(s) and other information is requested; I have no idea how to
>> reply.
>>

> I should add that I've done everything suggested in:
>
> http://blog.simple2web.ie/?p=363
>
> especially installing and running 'usb_modeswitch'.

Step no 5 at that URL (modifying usb_modeswitch.conf) appears to contain
a typo. The line reading

TargetProdct= 0x1001

should probably be

TargetProduct= 0x1001
From: Jonathan Campbell on
On 25 Apr, 15:11, Jonathan Campbell <jg.campbell...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I have Orange Internet Everywhere (Huawei e1752 modem) working on a
> Windows machine. It seems that it was installed on this machine using
> a disk. From what I'm told, this required almost no interaction or
> input.
>
> When I attempt to use with Ubuntu 9.10 (Preferences, Network ???),
> password(s) and other information is requested; I have no idea how to
> reply.
>
> Anyone with a quick fix for me?
>
> I know I'm being vague, but I've recently have had to move to a care
> home and everything has suddenly become difficult to impossible.

Thanks all, but unfortunately no success.

Best regards,

Jon C.