From: scbs29 on
Hello all
Has anyone come across an error message
Message from syslogd(a)localhost at Date and Time
localhost klogd: do_IRQ: 0.83 No irq handler for vector (irq -1) ?

I have just upgraded PCLinuxOS from 2009(KDE3.5) to 2010(KDE4.x) and,
among other problems, I keep getting this message. No-one on the PCLos
forums seems able to help.
I found one or two references to this on the web with an explanation
that it was to do with the kernels Radeon DRM driver. This was then
refuted by the same person who compiled a kernel without this driver
and still received the error messages.
Has anyone any idea what it means ?
TIA
-- Remove fred before email

-- Registered Linux user 490858
From: Robert Billing on
We, the Senate of Arcturus, take note that scbs29 said:

> Hello all
> Has anyone come across an error message Message from syslogd(a)localhost
> at Date and Time localhost klogd: do_IRQ: 0.83 No irq handler for vector
> (irq -1) ?

In general irq=-1 tends to happen if an interrupt occurs and the kernel
fails to find out what hardware caused it.

Welcome to the world of kernel debugging.

I think your first step would be to read the kernel source and see if you
can find what causes it. You are looking for a call to __do_IRQ(irq) which
can pass -1 as parameter. That function is in kernel/irq/handle.c.

Of course reading the whole source is a massive task, so anything you can
do to cut it down to just the drivers you are using will help.
From: Darren Salt on
I demand that scbs29 may or may not have written...

> Has anyone come across an error message
> Message from syslogd(a)localhost at Date and Time
> localhost klogd: do_IRQ: 0.83 No irq handler for vector (irq -1) ?

> I have just upgraded PCLinuxOS from 2009(KDE3.5) to 2010(KDE4.x) and, among
> other problems, I keep getting this message. No-one on the PCLos forums
> seems able to help.

> I found one or two references to this on the web with an explanation that
> it was to do with the kernels Radeon DRM driver. This was then refuted by
> the same person who compiled a kernel without this driver and still
> received the error messages.

Radeon HD-series graphics hw? If so then, to fix this, I think that you need
a newer kernel (and you may need to make sure that you have a sufficiently
new microcode file; also, making sure that you're using recent xf86-video-ati
won't hurt). Or you could just live with it for now, safe in the knowledge
that support for your hardware is being worked on.

Otherwise... no idea :-)

--
| Darren Salt | linux at youmustbejoking | nr. Ashington, | Toon
| using Debian GNU/Linux | or ds ,demon,co,uk | Northumberland | Army
| + http://www.xine-project.org/

Join the group mind - become a Borg.
From: scbs29 on
On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 03:26:34 +0100, Darren Salt
<news(a)youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid> wrote:

>I demand that scbs29 may or may not have written...
>
>> Has anyone come across an error message
>> Message from syslogd(a)localhost at Date and Time
>> localhost klogd: do_IRQ: 0.83 No irq handler for vector (irq -1) ?
>
>> I have just upgraded PCLinuxOS from 2009(KDE3.5) to 2010(KDE4.x) and, among
>> other problems, I keep getting this message. No-one on the PCLos forums
>> seems able to help.
>
>> I found one or two references to this on the web with an explanation that
>> it was to do with the kernels Radeon DRM driver. This was then refuted by
>> the same person who compiled a kernel without this driver and still
>> received the error messages.
>
>Radeon HD-series graphics hw? If so then, to fix this, I think that you need
>a newer kernel (and you may need to make sure that you have a sufficiently
>new microcode file; also, making sure that you're using recent xf86-video-ati
>won't hurt). Or you could just live with it for now, safe in the knowledge
>that support for your hardware is being worked on.
>
>Otherwise... no idea :-)

Thanks both for your replies.
Unfortunately I do not have anything like the expertise necessary to
sort out kernel code.
Also I do not have ATI hardware, I have NVidia.
So I will just live with it, as long as it is not anything serious.