From: Sam Mok on
We had a windows 2000 server which had added to our AD long years ago.
But lately, when I tried to dcpromo it from our AD, it failed and restart
automatically.
How can I do? Does it has another way to remove the ad role from our AD?
Thanks so much.

From: Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS] on
Hello Sam,

You can try a dcrpomo /foreceremoval, if this also doesn't work save all
needed data to another machine and just shutdown that server and do a metadata
cleanup:
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/archive/2010/05/16/active-directory-metadata-cleanup.aspx

Don't bring back that DC to the domain after the steps. To reuse the server
first format and reinstall.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.