From: flothespider on
Hello Aragorn,

On Jun 14, 8:33 pm, Aragorn <arag...(a)chatfactory.invalid> wrote:
> On Monday 14 June 2010 19:22 in comp.os.linux.hardware, somebody
>
> identifying as flothespider wrote...
> > Hello,
>
> > i would like to use one Keyboard in a TTY Session, so that this
> > keyboard is catched there. The input events shouldn't be sent to the X
> > Server in which i am logged in at the same time. For the X server the
> > second keyboard should be responsible.
> > How can i do this? I have got 2.6.32-22 (ubuntu 10.04) with udev
> > 151-12 and Xorg 7.5.
>
> If your tty session is a window on your X11 desktop, then its keyboard
> input will always be handled by the X11 keyboard protocol.  On the
> other hand, keyboard input outside of X - i.e. in a character mode
> login console - is handled by the terminal, and its configuration -
> e.g. shortcut keys - may be different from your X11 keyboard set-up.
i want to do this in a *real* tty ;) not in a terminal emulator like
xterm.

> It *is* possible to use a multiseat set-up with multiple keyboards and
> mice if you've configured your machine as such - e.g. as an LTSP
> server - although I cannot give you any specifics on how to do that.
> There are some good HowTos on the subject however.
Ok, i'll have a look

> Perhaps it would be easier for us to give you advice if you were to tell
> us *why* exactly you need the kind of set-up you're inquiring about
> with this post. ;-)
The intention is, that i want to have one keyboard just with hotkeys
(like open favorite websites, turn on lights etc.). This should also
be possible if the user is not logged in at the X Server. Is there a
better way to do this?

Thanks,
Florian
From: flothespider on
On Jun 14, 8:36 pm, Lusotec <nom...(a)nomail.not> wrote:
> flothespider wrote:
> > i would like to use one Keyboard in a TTY Session, so that this
> > keyboard is catched there. The input events shouldn't be sent to the X
> > Server in which i am logged in at the same time. For the X server the
> > second keyboard should be responsible.
> > How can i do this? I have got 2.6.32-22 (ubuntu 10.04) with udev
> > 151-12 and Xorg 7.5.
>
> Configuring Xorg to use one keyboard (or mouse) in a machine that has
> several is simple. Search for "multiseat Xorg" and you will find information
> on it.
I'll search into this direction also :)

> For the console I have no idea how to associate it to one keyboard. One
> possible solution is to run Xorg with a full screen xterm to fake a console.
I would like to have a real TTY, so that all this is possible with no
X Server startet...

Thanks, Florian