From: flothespider on
Hello,

i would like to use one Keyboard in a TTY Session, so that this
keyboard is catched there. The input events shouldn't be sent to the X
Server in which i am logged in at the same time. For the X server the
second keyboard should be responsible.
How can i do this? I have got 2.6.32-22 (ubuntu 10.04) with udev
151-12 and Xorg 7.5.

Hoping for tips,
Florian
From: cassiope on
On Jun 14, 10:22 am, flothespider <stascheck...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i would like to use one Keyboard in a TTY Session, so that this
> keyboard is catched there. The input events shouldn't be sent to the X
> Server in which i am logged in at the same time. For the X server the
> second keyboard should be responsible.
> How can i do this? I have got 2.6.32-22 (ubuntu 10.04) with udev
> 151-12 and Xorg 7.5.
>
> Hoping for tips,
> Florian

Does this have to be with one machine with one physical keyboard?
Is this one machine capable of using two separate keyboards?
Can you telnet/ssh into the machine from another machine?
From: Aragorn on
On Monday 14 June 2010 19:22 in comp.os.linux.hardware, somebody
identifying as flothespider wrote...

> Hello,
>
> i would like to use one Keyboard in a TTY Session, so that this
> keyboard is catched there. The input events shouldn't be sent to the X
> Server in which i am logged in at the same time. For the X server the
> second keyboard should be responsible.
> How can i do this? I have got 2.6.32-22 (ubuntu 10.04) with udev
> 151-12 and Xorg 7.5.

If your tty session is a window on your X11 desktop, then its keyboard
input will always be handled by the X11 keyboard protocol. On the
other hand, keyboard input outside of X - i.e. in a character mode
login console - is handled by the terminal, and its configuration -
e.g. shortcut keys - may be different from your X11 keyboard set-up.

It *is* possible to use a multiseat set-up with multiple keyboards and
mice if you've configured your machine as such - e.g. as an LTSP
server - although I cannot give you any specifics on how to do that.
There are some good HowTos on the subject however.

Perhaps it would be easier for us to give you advice if you were to tell
us *why* exactly you need the kind of set-up you're inquiring about
with this post. ;-)

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
From: Lusotec on
flothespider wrote:
> i would like to use one Keyboard in a TTY Session, so that this
> keyboard is catched there. The input events shouldn't be sent to the X
> Server in which i am logged in at the same time. For the X server the
> second keyboard should be responsible.
> How can i do this? I have got 2.6.32-22 (ubuntu 10.04) with udev
> 151-12 and Xorg 7.5.

Configuring Xorg to use one keyboard (or mouse) in a machine that has
several is simple. Search for "multiseat Xorg" and you will find information
on it.

For the console I have no idea how to associate it to one keyboard. One
possible solution is to run Xorg with a full screen xterm to fake a console.

Regards.

From: flothespider on
On Jun 14, 7:41 pm, cassiope <f...(a)u.washington.edu> wrote:
> On Jun 14, 10:22 am, flothespider <stascheck...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
>
> > i would like to use one Keyboard in a TTY Session, so that this
> > keyboard is catched there. The input events shouldn't be sent to the X
> > Server in which i am logged in at the same time. For the X server the
> > second keyboard should be responsible.
> > How can i do this? I have got 2.6.32-22 (ubuntu 10.04) with udev
> > 151-12 and Xorg 7.5.
>
> > Hoping for tips,
> > Florian
>
> Does this have to be with one machine with one physical keyboard?
> Is this one machine capable of using two separate keyboards?
> Can you telnet/ssh into the machine from another machine?
this is a machine with 2 keyboards, atm they're simultaneous, so i can
type on either the PS/2 or the USB Keyboard. I can ssh into this
machine from another machine, but why is that important?

Thanks,
Florian