From: HeyBub on
SkippyPB wrote:

>> When a smattering of the members of [group] assert something and no
>> other member of [group] objects, one can fairly assume the assertion
>> is universally accepted by all members of [group].
>>
>> This concept is called "assent by silence" [qui tacet consentire
>> videtur].
>>

> No it is not. It is called apathy.

+1

From: Pete Dashwood on
Howard Brazee wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 12:23:28 +1200, "Pete Dashwood"
> <dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:
>

>> In a Democracy, we seldom get the politicians we want; we invariably
>> get the politicians we deserve.

I first made this observation 40 years ago after being bitterly disappointed
that the people I supported did not win the election. In the ensuing years I
have become older and wiser and reflected on it.

If we have implemented a system which gives us a voice, but have grown too
lazy and apathetic to get more than a 40% turnout to the polls on election
day (in Australia, it is illegal not to vote, although you can legally spoil
your paper; in NZ voting is optional), then we do indeed deserve the idiots
that get into power.

If the population has become so inured to bad results ("Don't vote; the
Government will get in...") that people have become politically apathetic or
apolitical, then we do indeed deserve the idiots that get to into power.

If the system has become so badly broken that "public service" is all about
getting your snout in the trough, then we do indeed deserve the idiots that
get to into power.

> I disagree - depending on how you are defining "we". Or are you
> saying that trying very hard but failing to get the politician we want
> means we deserved what we got because of our failure? And our
> children deserved it as well because of our failure?
>
> When we get the politicians we want, we deserve what we get.

Whether they are the ones we want or the ones we don't want, in a democratic
society, we deserve what we get.

I stand by my statement.

Pete.

From: Howard Brazee on
On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 23:12:59 +1200, "Pete Dashwood"
<dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:

>If we have implemented a system which gives us a voice, but have grown too
>lazy and apathetic to get more than a 40% turnout to the polls on election
>day (in Australia, it is illegal not to vote, although you can legally spoil
>your paper; in NZ voting is optional), then we do indeed deserve the idiots
>that get into power.

I thought they just got taxed for not voting, thanks for the
clarification. The question is - does mandated voting result in
better results?

And the other question is who is "we", that deserve the idiots? Those
who voted for the idiots? Those who campaigned tireless and voted
for the idiots' opponents - but failed?

- James Madison
From: HeyBub on
Howard Brazee wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 12:23:28 +1200, "Pete Dashwood"
> <dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:
>

>> In a Democracy, we seldom get the politicians we want; we invariably
>> get the politicians we deserve.
>
> I disagree - depending on how you are defining "we". Or are you
> saying that trying very hard but failing to get the politician we want
> means we deserved what we got because of our failure? And our
> children deserved it as well because of our failure?
>
> When we get the politicians we want, we deserve what we get.

Lawrence J. Peter (discoverer of the "Peter Principle") once said: "I have
been studying governments, man and boy, for over forty years. I have yet to
discover whether we are being led by well-meaning fools or by really bright
people who are just putting us on."

My rendition: "In a suitably advanced society, it is impossible to tell
whether a government action is motivated by malice or incompetence."

From: Howard Brazee on
On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 14:50:26 -0500, "HeyBub" <heybub(a)NOSPAMgmail.com>
wrote:

>Lawrence J. Peter (discoverer of the "Peter Principle") once said: "I have
>been studying governments, man and boy, for over forty years. I have yet to
>discover whether we are being led by well-meaning fools or by really bright
>people who are just putting us on."

I suspect many of our leaders in government and elsewhere are
somewhere in between.

>My rendition: "In a suitably advanced society, it is impossible to tell
>whether a government action is motivated by malice or incompetence."

Trolls are another example of people who play roles until that role is
them.

- James Madison
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6