From: Pete Dashwood on
Pete Dashwood wrote:
> HeyBub wrote:
>> Pete Dashwood wrote:
>>> I have a client who has a fairly major application written as a
>>> series of PowerCOBOL projects.
>>>
>>> Building this for new releases is a maor undertaking and each
>>> project has to be activated (compiled and built) by hand.
>>>
>>> I have a solution but, before implementing it, I would like to be
>>> sure I'm not re-inventing the wheel.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any thoughts or existing approaches to this
>>> problem? I'll state my solution if there are no better ideas. If you
>>> have a
>>> solution and would be prepared to sell it to us, please let me know
>>> by private mail, giving a brief overview and some sample screen
>>> shots. Basically, the solution should be able to:
>>>
>>> 1. Permit selection of any number of PowerCOBOL projects.
>>> 2. Batch build and compile the specified projects in 1 above and
>>> provide compiler listings and diagnostics for each compilation,
>>> along with object modules (.DLL or .EXE) as specified for each
>>> project. 3. Compiles must be able to run locally or remotely on a "COBOL
>>> server" with source, objects and listings, all delivered back to
>>> specified directories.
>>> My solution will do this, but if you have anything close that does
>>> some or all of it, please talk to me :-)
>>>
>>> Pete.
>>
>> I skipped over the part where you were willing to PAY for a solution!
>
> Well, I already have a solution; I would pay for anything that helps
> me implement it quicker or contributes towards it.
>
> Jerry, I absolutely promise you if we use any part of what you posted
> and make profit from it, you will be contacted and I'll work out
> something with you, just as I would for anyone else.
>
> I don't expect people to make money for me, I don't steal ideas, and
> I am more than happy to share the results of joint effort.
>
> Just being able to discuss options is actually helpful, but that is
> no more than I would do for others... :-)
>

>> Oh well, maybe our efforts can contribute to the overall knowledge
>> base of the group. I just want to make this a better world.
>
> Speaking for myself, I can say your posts here over years have
> already done that... :-)
>>
>> In that regard, I just started a new police story book. In the first
>> five pages, I've added the following to my language style:
>>
>> * Giving us the stink eye.
>> * Flashlight therapy
>> * They gonna be drawin' you in chalk on the sidewalk
>> * 'Roided up primate
>> * Hold a grudge longer than my ex-wife
>> * The medicine man's gonna be waving chicken claws over your ashes
>> * You're circling the drain
>>

> One of the things I loved about my stay in Texas was the very
> colourful figures of speech. It seems the criminals are not excluded
> from this :-)
> (I especially loved number 4... but all of them made me smile.)

Sorry, that should have been number 5. It is Saturday morning here, I got to
bed at 3:30 after a thoroughly enjoyable Friday night (It was National
Poetry Day here and I was involved in some celebrations that involved me
playing music and reciting, egged on by an increasingly drunken bunch of
Friday Niters who were also doing their party pieces. It was a public
function with, free admission (food and booze you paid for) in the heart of
our city so you can imagine that we got a good cross section of poetry and
general entertainment. (I was quite amazed by the talent there is in this
town. Some of these people should definitely be performing for a living.)
One Australian, who had already had a few too many, got up and recited the
entire saga of "The Man from Snowy River" (by Banjo Patterson, if you want
to look it up; a stirring piece of poetry), without a single hiccup or
error, did it passionately in a totally appropriate Australian accent, to
tumultuous applause. Another guy, who looked like he might have been
homeless, recited W.B. Yeats' "The Song of Wandering Aengus" (It's the one
which ends with "the silver apples of the moon, the golden apples of the
sun" - Ray Bradbury wrote a short story named from it) and again, it was
flawless. You could've heard a pin drop until he finished and then there was
huge applause. We had various musicians doing stuff and it was a throughly
enjoyable evening. However, the result for me is that my focus this morning
is not what it should be and I mis-counted the rows above... :-)

Pete.

From: HeyBub on
Pete Dashwood wrote:

> Sorry, that should have been number 5. It is Saturday morning here, I
> got to bed at 3:30 after a thoroughly enjoyable Friday night (It was
> National Poetry Day here and I was involved in some celebrations that
> involved me playing music and reciting, egged on by an increasingly
> drunken bunch of Friday Niters who were also doing their party
> pieces. It was a public function with, free admission (food and booze
> you paid for) in the heart of our city so you can imagine that we got
> a good cross section of poetry and general entertainment. (I was
> quite amazed by the talent there is in this town. Some of these
> people should definitely be performing for a living.) One Australian,
> who had already had a few too many, got up and recited the entire
> saga of "The Man from Snowy River" (by Banjo Patterson, if you want
> to look it up; a stirring piece of poetry), without a single hiccup
> or error, did it passionately in a totally appropriate Australian
> accent, to tumultuous applause. Another guy, who looked like he might
> have been homeless, recited W.B. Yeats' "The Song of Wandering
> Aengus" (It's the one which ends with "the silver apples of the moon,
> the golden apples of the sun" - Ray Bradbury wrote a short story
> named from it) and again, it was flawless. You could've heard a pin
> drop until he finished and then there was huge applause. We had
> various musicians doing stuff and it was a throughly enjoyable
> evening. However, the result for me is that my focus this morning is
> not what it should be and I mis-counted the rows above... :-)

National Poetry Day? Heh!

We just had a kerfuffle here. An arch-conservative, Glenn Beck, wrote a new
fiction book, "The Overton Window." Here's a youtube trailer for the book:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBoeHgy7svg

Further, the poem also appears on the book jacket. Here it is:

-----

As it will be in the future, it was at the birth of Man
There are only four things certain since Social Progress began.
That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire,
And the burnt Fool's bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the Fire;

And that after this is accomplished, and the brave new world begins
When all men are paid for existing and no man must pay for his sins,
As surely as Water will wet us, as surely as Fire will burn,
The Gods of the Copybook Headings with terror and slaughter return!

-----

Well, when the political liberals saw this, they went nuts. Waving this tome
aloft, they cried that Beck was insane, that whoever could concoct such as
this was obviously diseased. The author should be burnt at the stake and the
ashes scattered (take no chances). I'm serious the "progressives" nearly
itched to death!

The poem, "The Gods of the Copybook Headings," was written by Rudyard
Kipling in 1919.

From: Pete Dashwood on
HeyBub wrote:
> Pete Dashwood wrote:
>>
>> Sorry, that should have been number 5. It is Saturday morning here, I
>> got to bed at 3:30 after a thoroughly enjoyable Friday night (It was
>> National Poetry Day here and I was involved in some celebrations that
>> involved me playing music and reciting, egged on by an increasingly
>> drunken bunch of Friday Niters who were also doing their party
>> pieces. It was a public function with, free admission (food and booze
>> you paid for) in the heart of our city so you can imagine that we got
>> a good cross section of poetry and general entertainment. (I was
>> quite amazed by the talent there is in this town. Some of these
>> people should definitely be performing for a living.) One Australian,
>> who had already had a few too many, got up and recited the entire
>> saga of "The Man from Snowy River" (by Banjo Patterson, if you want
>> to look it up; a stirring piece of poetry), without a single hiccup
>> or error, did it passionately in a totally appropriate Australian
>> accent, to tumultuous applause. Another guy, who looked like he might
>> have been homeless, recited W.B. Yeats' "The Song of Wandering
>> Aengus" (It's the one which ends with "the silver apples of the moon,
>> the golden apples of the sun" - Ray Bradbury wrote a short story
>> named from it) and again, it was flawless. You could've heard a pin
>> drop until he finished and then there was huge applause. We had
>> various musicians doing stuff and it was a throughly enjoyable
>> evening. However, the result for me is that my focus this morning is
>> not what it should be and I mis-counted the rows above... :-)
>
> National Poetry Day? Heh!
>
> We just had a kerfuffle here. An arch-conservative, Glenn Beck, wrote
> a new fiction book, "The Overton Window." Here's a youtube trailer
> for the book:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBoeHgy7svg
>
> Further, the poem also appears on the book jacket. Here it is:
>
> -----
>
> As it will be in the future, it was at the birth of Man
> There are only four things certain since Social Progress began.
> That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire,
> And the burnt Fool's bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the Fire;
>
> And that after this is accomplished, and the brave new world begins
> When all men are paid for existing and no man must pay for his sins,
> As surely as Water will wet us, as surely as Fire will burn,
> The Gods of the Copybook Headings with terror and slaughter return!
>
> -----

As Kipling is one of my favourites I am familiar with the poem. Those are
the last two verses. It is worth reading the whole thing:

http://wolfpangloss.wordpress.com/2007/10/24/kipling-the-gods-of-the-copybook-headings/

> Well, when the political liberals saw this, they went nuts. Waving
> this tome aloft, they cried that Beck was insane, that whoever could
> concoct such as this was obviously diseased. The author should be
> burnt at the stake and the ashes scattered (take no chances). I'm
> serious the "progressives" nearly itched to death!
>
> The poem, "The Gods of the Copybook Headings," was written by Rudyard
> Kipling in 1919.

After his only (and much loved) son had been tragically killed pointlessly
in the First World War. (BBC made an excellent documentary about the
circumstances leading to, and culminating in, the lad's demise.

I viewed the video link but it is just a dramatic presentation of the last
two verses of Kipling's poem.

It didn't give much insight into what exactly the "Overton Window" is about.

I then found this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26fdAIVzZYo&feature=related

It is interesting, but for an entire society to get excited about what is
simply a negotiation stratagem and recognised by anyone who has studied
conflict resolution and negotiation as the "Salami" ploy, is a bit
disappointing.

Obviously, this book is simply becoming a focal point for people whose
political views are already polarised.

The dangerous thing about that is that while the extremists on both side are
creating fire and smoke, it tends to overwhelm the people in the centre
which is where sanity normally resides...

I look forward to the movie... :-)

Pete.

From: HeyBub on
Pete Dashwood wrote:

> It is interesting, but for an entire society to get excited about
> what is simply a negotiation stratagem and recognised by anyone who
> has studied conflict resolution and negotiation as the "Salami" ploy,
> is a bit disappointing.
>
> Obviously, this book is simply becoming a focal point for people whose
> political views are already polarised.
>
> The dangerous thing about that is that while the extremists on both
> side are creating fire and smoke, it tends to overwhelm the people in
> the centre which is where sanity normally resides...

The "entire society" didn't get polarized over a negotiation strategy - no
one had even READ the book.

The left got exercised over the POEM! Some of their commentators latched on
to it (the poem) as evidence of a warped mind so compromised by disease or
defect as to prove that all the thoughts emanating from its author were
alien to life itself, if not the stability of the solar system.

The negotiation strategy is simply the engine that drives the story - heck,
I once read a thriller where the engine was the thought process of the lead
detective who was killed on page two! Every fiction work (except those by
James Fennimore Cooper) has to have a thread that ties the various bits
together. No, the excitement was not over the story or the thread; it was
over the poem.

A few years ago, there was damn near a race riot in D.C. when one (white)
city councilman accused another (black) of being niggardly.

Just this past week, a congress-critter suggested that the Federal
Communications Commission yank the license of the Fox Network. The FCC
doesn't license networks, only broadcast stations. We had one Congressman
who, when questioning the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff earilier
this year over the proposed relocation of 5,000 Marines, their families, and
equipment to Guam, inquired as to whether the increased weight might cause
the island to tip over and sink.

'Tis a pity that those in power are dumber than a crate of anvils.

But it is what it is. That's why we need experts (i.e., "special interests")
to advise them.

From: Pete Dashwood on
HeyBub wrote:
> Pete Dashwood wrote:
>

>> It is interesting, but for an entire society to get excited about
>> what is simply a negotiation stratagem and recognised by anyone who
>> has studied conflict resolution and negotiation as the "Salami" ploy,
>> is a bit disappointing.
>>
>> Obviously, this book is simply becoming a focal point for people
>> whose political views are already polarised.
>>
>> The dangerous thing about that is that while the extremists on both
>> side are creating fire and smoke, it tends to overwhelm the people in
>> the centre which is where sanity normally resides...
>>

> The "entire society" didn't get polarized over a negotiation strategy
> - no one had even READ the book.

I have a feeling that is going to change... :-)

Whatever else is happening this is a very good example of viral book
marketing.

> The left got exercised over the POEM! Some of their commentators
> latched on to it (the poem) as evidence of a warped mind so
> compromised by disease or defect as to prove that all the thoughts
> emanating from its author were alien to life itself, if not the
> stability of the solar system.

Well, Kipling upset a lot of people (including Queen Victoria) during his
lifetime and, as a result was never made Poet Laureate (which many people
thought he should have been). He wrote a poem about British soldiers being
killed for sixpence a day and the Queen was not amused. The last verse,
although a statement of what was happening in his time, is a chilling
premonition of what is happening currently.

http://www.daypoems.net/poems/1799.html

One of the criteria for assessing poetry is the reaction it evokes. It is no
surprise to me that a Kipling poem is still "working" almost 100 years after
it was written.

It is a bit ironic that the Left are offended, though. Kipling was
politically Left of centre all his life and horrified by the class system
and the entrenched tyranny of the Right wing upper classes. However, he
believed in duty, decency, and honour, and these things are often associated
with the establishment and the Right. (My personal opinion is that he may
have re-evaluated some of the established forms of this after his son was
killed, but I may be doing him a disservice. Certainly he knew the risks and
was proud that his son went to serve.)

> The negotiation strategy is simply the engine that drives the story -
> heck, I once read a thriller where the engine was the thought process
> of the lead detective who was killed on page two! Every fiction work
> (except those by James Fennimore Cooper) has to have a thread that
> ties the various bits together.

Yes, most of us struggled with "The Last of the Mohicans"... :-)

> No, the excitement was not over the
> story or the thread; it was over the poem.

I don't think that is a bad thing. It depends... If the people got incensed
because they had taken two verses of the poem out of context and didn't
really understand what it was saying, then that is something else, but
agitation caused by poetry is generally a "Good Thing".

> A few years ago, there was damn near a race riot in D.C. when one
> (white) city councilman accused another (black) of being niggardly.

Yes, I read about that at the time. In a way it is amusing, but in another
way it is frightening...

> Just this past week, a congress-critter suggested that the Federal
> Communications Commission yank the license of the Fox Network. The FCC
> doesn't license networks, only broadcast stations. We had one
> Congressman who, when questioning the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of
> Staff earilier this year over the proposed relocation of 5,000
> Marines, their families, and equipment to Guam, inquired as to
> whether the increased weight might cause the island to tip over and
> sink.

Without seeing the context, it is hard to comment. He may have intended it
as a figure of speech. Could ANYONE really believe that? I don't think so.

> 'Tis a pity that those in power are dumber than a crate of anvils.

In a Democracy, we seldom get the politicians we want; we invariably get the
politicians we deserve.

> But it is what it is. That's why we need experts (i.e., "special
> interests") to advise them.

Hmmm... that's OK as long as the process is open and the people are
answerable for the advice they give.

Pete.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6