From: cs_posting on
Andreas Ehliar wrote:
> On 2006-09-06, Uwe Bonnes <bon(a)hertz.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:
> > "The standalone Xilinx Platform Cable USB is unsupported and untested. Since
> > its hardware is presumably very similar, it may be usable as-is or with some
> > minor hacking. "
>
> I have tested it and it doesn't work. One problem is that the CPLD on the
> platform cable does not get a supply voltage at all if the xup firmware is
> downloaded to the FX2 chip.

That sounds as much like an invitation to a solution as a problem...
the FX2 chip has decent documentation, right? And you can figure out
which pin should be supplying the CPLD... so change the firmware to be
downloaded accordingly. And then go after the data signals if it still
doesn't work.

From: Uwe Bonnes on
zcsizmadia(a)gmail.com <zcsizmadia(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,

> Here is a open-source CableServer replacement,ent for Impact. Currently
> Parallel III and Alter ByteBlaster are supported, but any 3rd party can
> be implemented easily and can be used from Impact.

> I've tested only Impact 8.2, if anybody has any problem with 7.1,
> please let me know!

> Impact and Xilinx CableServer communication are very pooly written.
> There is no error recovery at all. If server stops, Impact GUI will
> crash. To avoid this you must disconnect server from GUI using
> Output/Cavble disconnect menu.

> http://sourceforge.net/projects/xilprg
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id\
=175344&package_id=203209

Do you plan to merger xilprg and cblsrv?

--
Uwe Bonnes bon(a)elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de

Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt
From: zcsizmadia@gmail.com on
I don't know yet. The CableServer protocol is really close to svf
format, so to implement the different device program/erase/read
functions should be easy.

If people will add patches to cblsrv and will support a lots of
different 3rd party cables, then probably yes. I think there could be a
cblhost project with a built in cblsrv, so on alocal machine you don't
have to start 2 applications, and still can connect to a remote cblsrv.

But right now probably not. Unfortunately I have only 2 kinds of
programmer cable (Par III, and Digilent USB JTAG), so I wait for other
people to make patches for their loved cables :)

Zoltan

From: henk on
Let's make an open-hardware embedded CableServer/cable, say an Atmel
SAM7X with PHY and a Coolrunner, or a Spartan3 with Microblaze/MAC/PHY?

Henk van Kampen
www.mediatronix.com

zcsizmadia(a)gmail.com wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Here is a open-source CableServer replacement,ent for Impact. Currently
> Parallel III and Alter ByteBlaster are supported, but any 3rd party can
> be implemented easily and can be used from Impact.
>
> I've tested only Impact 8.2, if anybody has any problem with 7.1,
> please let me know!
>
> Impact and Xilinx CableServer communication are very pooly written.
> There is no error recovery at all. If server stops, Impact GUI will
> crash. To avoid this you must disconnect server from GUI using
> Output/Cavble disconnect menu.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/xilprg
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=175344&package_id=203209
>
> Regards,