From: Michael Wojcik on
Howard Brazee wrote:

> But outside of this newsgroup, I have seen zero interest in OO CoBOL.

We have a healthy OO COBOL customer base. Most are using native-mode
OO COBOL, but interest in the .NET COBOL product's OO features is growing.

It's a small fraction of total COBOL use, but it's not zero.

--
Michael Wojcik
Micro Focus
From: Pete Dashwood on
john(a)wexfordpress.com wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Wish you well with it.
>>
>> Like Jimmy, I would need to see support for OO before I could
>> consider it viable.
>>
>> Pete.
>>
>> --
>> "I used to write COBOL...now I can do anything."
>
> It seems we now have two audiences, the proceduralists (of which I am
> one) and the
> Object Oriented folks. And COBOL itself exists in two quite different
> forms. I suggest that
> trying to cram both forms into one compiler makes it too heavy, both
> for the compiler writer and the programmer.
>
> I remember Grace Hopper saying at a ACM meeting that she did not want
> to use COBOL for the things FORTRAN was good for for nor use FORTRAN
> for the things COBOL was good for. Some of the code I see on this list
> is quite unreadable to me. And I have been doing COBOL for many years.
> What the Standards people have done is create a totally new language
> and called it COBOL. I would have a better chance of reading Java or
> Php, two languages I do not know, than something written in Objective
> COBOL.
>
> We are also feeding the vices of the academic community. They never
> liked COBOL to start with. They taught students to code in a clumsy
> fashion that mimicked other languages, nested ifs beyond all reason
> and the like. I hired some of these folks years ago and their real
> education began on the job.
>
> The virtues and vices of the OO approach to programming are not the
> point. COBOL was designed so that programmer A could pick up a program
> written some years back by programmer B and have some hope of
> understanding what was going on. That is the real world situation.
> Programs need not only to be written but maintained. Systematically
> the standards people have added new features and subtracted old ones
> in COBOL 2002 and following to the point that it is now a different
> language. Old programs may still compile. That is not the issue. The
> issue is that the Standards people have created a tower of babel,
> where we can no longer understand each other.
>
> The C progamming language has now three defined variants. One can
> write in C, Objective C, and C++. Each is considered a separate
> entity, although the same base compiler supports each, just as a C
> compiler supports Open Cobol, Tcl and so on. I have no hope of
> dissuading those who want to turn COBOL into something different, a
> clone of some other language, but I do suggest that we fork the
> language.
>
> Open Cobol and Tiny Cobol are the only successful non-commercial COBOL
> compilers out there. The existence of a manual for one of them is a
> significant achievement. I will be happy to print out the manual. And
> I am sorry that there is not an internet group for those who view, as
> I do, COBOL 85 as the last real COBOL, true to the original design
> objectives of a writable language, a readable language, and a business

Good for you, John.

Now all you need is a convenient tar pit... :-)

Pete.

From: Pete Dashwood on
Bill Gunshannon wrote:
> [...]
>> Maybe I'll start that group.
>> John Culleton CCP
>
> It seems that I am not the only one who laments what has been done to
> COBOL (and other languages as well). As one who works in academia, I
> can agree 100% with John's comments. As for "standards", the
> Standards
> Bodies have one and only one real purpose. To perpetuate their own
> existence and they do that by creating "standards" wether the real
> world wanted or needed them and usually with total disregard for what
> the real world is doing.
>
> It would be truly interesting to know what percentage of the millions
> and millions of lines of existing COBOL actually use anything beyond
> COBOL 85. My guess would be a very small number as shops that use
> COBOL tend to be more interested in getting their specific job done
> rather than pushing the paradigm envelope.

As the number of these shops is evaporating like brandy on a hotplate, you
better run your survey quickly... :-)

Pete.

From: Bill Gunshannon on
In article <7th403Fc2uU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
"Pete Dashwood" <dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> writes:
> [...]
>>
>> It seems that I am not the only one who laments what has been done to
>> COBOL (and other languages as well). As one who works in academia, I
>> can agree 100% with John's comments. As for "standards", the
>> Standards
>> Bodies have one and only one real purpose. To perpetuate their own
>> existence and they do that by creating "standards" wether the real
>> world wanted or needed them and usually with total disregard for what
>> the real world is doing.
>>
>> It would be truly interesting to know what percentage of the millions
>> and millions of lines of existing COBOL actually use anything beyond
>> COBOL 85. My guess would be a very small number as shops that use
>> COBOL tend to be more interested in getting their specific job done
>> rather than pushing the paradigm envelope.
>
> As the number of these shops is evaporating like brandy on a hotplate, you

You keep saying this but my experience is quite different. I know one
in particular (I actually interviewed there but it turned out they
were interested in my Unix skills and my lack of current CICS experience
made them uninterested in my COBOL experience) who are always hiring
and have more than doubled their staff in the last couple years. And,
knowing what they do for a business, I don't see them going away or
changing the way they do business anytime soon. And then, we have the
insurance industry....

As a matter of fact, the only obstacle facing being a COBOL programmer
here in the US is you must also have current IBM Mainframe experience.

bill

billg999(a)cs.scranton.edu | and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton |
Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include <std.disclaimer.h>
From: James J. Gavan on
Michael Wojcik wrote:
> Howard Brazee wrote:
>
>>But outside of this newsgroup, I have seen zero interest in OO CoBOL.
>
> We have a healthy OO COBOL customer base. Most are using native-mode
> OO COBOL, but interest in the .NET COBOL product's OO features is growing.
>
> It's a small fraction of total COBOL use, but it's not zero.

What people here have to bear in mind is that CLC is but a microcosm of
what people are using or doing in COBOL. As Michael has indicated they
have a genuine base of OO users, although I'm not aware of any numbers.
(Justifiably, there are COBOL users out there, who think CLC is as
useful as teats on a bull. Amongst them, lurking in the background, the
folks of J4/Pl22.4 :-) ). Chuck Stevens the last Unisys representative
on the Standards, now departed from Unisys with a pink slip - first
thing he told me the names Dashwood and Gavan were etched in the minds
of the J4 folks. Likely they have a dartboard with our names on that
they SLING, not throw, darts at ! As Rhett Butler said, "Frankly my
dear, I don't give a damn".

As an example of usage, years ago in Canada I picked up on a reasonably
sized software house that illustrated OO COBOL usage with Net Express
and the same OO and GUI class approach that I use. I have no idea of
numbers of programmers but they were certainly big enough to spread the
OO problem around establishing use of OO classes and methods and how to
make the GUI classes just zing for them producing Windows dialogs.
They were/are self-sufficient so a forum like this is of no use to them.

We none of us have any idea how many, both Fujitsu and Micro Focus, or
even IBM-ers using the OO features, that there are. Not necessarily OO,
but I know for certain that India has a BIG interest in COBOL - Fujitsu
years ago did a deal with the Indian government for discounted copies of
their compiler; that's public knowledge on the Internet. I also know
for certain, from a Canadian source, that one of their major customers,
(hint choo-choo ! - not too many of them in Canada), as part of the
contract they are obliged to outsource to India, and those Indians are
using Net Express.

The Indians are thirsty for work and of course the bucks ! Point them in
the right direction with exhaustively well documented examples of using
OO, and perhaps well-illustrated examples of OO concepts (see Fred's
comments about my OO COBOL 101 in the thread 'Day of Week'), then they
could be off to the races.

Now Michael mentioned .NET COBOL products. Oh dear - PC-wise there's the
big killer for COBOL.

I gained the impression that there was a very good relationship between
MicroSOFT and Micro FOCUS, coupled with a mutual respect. Having
produced a COMPREHENSIVE version of OO COBOL, within the framework of
the COBOL Standard, unlike Fujitsu they also produced a COMPREHENSIVE
set of utilities ( OO Support classes ). It goes way back but co-author
with Will Price, (sorry forgotten Mr. X's name and I can't
put my hand on the book - he is a former employee from Newbury, US
citizen I believe and teaching up in Leicestershire or somewhere), wrote
over a decade ago, any language implying it is OO WITHOUT OO SUPPORT
CLASSES is a loser. I couldn't agree MORE.

That being said, my understanding is that MicroSOFT had one link missing
in their .NET product, that archaic language COBOL. They approached
Micro FOCUS - who at the time, politely declined - they had their baby
as I've illustrated above.

Now Fujitsu do have a set of classes for Collections, which Pete
Dashwood has indicated to me have been updated since. But when I looked
at them, when Collections were a discussion point in J4, on a grading
from 1 to 10, compared to what Micro FOCUS has, they rate a minus 5 !
And that's the disastrous model J4 used for Collections which now sits
on ice not used by any of the COBOL OO-oriented compilers.

Back to Micro Focus and their polite original 'No' to MicroSOFT. Always
ready to make a buck, our friends from the Land of the Rising Sun,
(having already gobbled up anything noteworthy for IT in UK), were
approached/sort out, (probably former), by MicroSOFT to fill that
missing link. Oh dear, I reacted with a grimace. I remember Bill Klein
enthusiastically exclaiming at the time, "Bill Gates is INTERESTED in
COBOL". Sure he was and for obvious reasons. It ain't BILLIONS of lines
of code as Gartner suggested but there's a huge chunk of the IT world
tied up in COBOL. F/J provided his missing link. Gracefully Micro FOCUS
had to follow suit to be competitive.

So in both cases, F/J and M/F you are faced with a compiler which is a
fair chunk of change; much too expensive for me to acquire as a hobbyist
in retirement mode. So whether or not you love COBOL 85 or are
enthused about what COBOL 2002 did provide, you tentatively dip your
feet into the .NET pool. Assuming you breach the OO concept wall and get
a handle on it, unless you are bonkers, you are going to say to
yourself, "Why do I need an expensive PC-based COBOL compiler and C# and
Basic .Net (which will do your GUI-ing), VisualStudio (or whatever their
IDE is called), when I can be totally using the last three as FREEBIES
?". Adios COBOL.

Don't think it hasn't already happened and in the case of M/F I bet they
have some statistics which support my statement. Less certainty with #1,
certainty with #2 - both two young hotshots using N/E OO and GUI
classes. They knocked 'em out in a flash, kind of a copy and paste
approach, looking at each as a fresh topic.

They were doing this while I was still figuring how, when I established
how something could be done, how could I now write that as a reusable
Class (Component to Mr. Dashwood). Latest version not yet finished (but
it works), a class MyDialog which with some 80 plus methods will
repeatedly produce what you want in ANY Dialog, (it uses all the GUI
classes as necessary). Let me qualify the ANY - I haven't as yet tackled
what's required from Webbing; nor in the case of Treeviews or Listviews
is it possible or practical to put all the code in MyDialog; the object
in MyDialog invokes Treeview and Listview support classes as necessary.

Back to my two friends above. #1, his site was used as one of M/F's
success stories. Then he got into .Net as an M/F beta user - and I
haven't heard a whisper from him since.

#2 - Toronto based. Briefly a company of 5, he was the only programmer,
were taken over by a US Corporation. Even though he was making $100K a
year, along with the other employees was both frustrated and embarrassed
to take his paycheck. (I should be so lucky !). The parent company was
not supplying them with projects to do. So last time I was in Toronto at
my daughter's, he told me the tale.

They all up and left forming a new company. He had certainly looked at
..Net but I don't think he had seriously looked at it at the time of our
conversation. But he has since, and asked himself the question, "Why do
I need an expensive COBOL compiler, over an above what .Net provides
free ?". Now some two years later, I haven't heard from him either.

Jimmy, Calgary AB
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: ANN: OpenCOBOL Programmer's Guide