From: Pete Dashwood on
Brian Tiffin wrote:
> There is a new COBOL manual in town.
>
> A very complete programmer's guide for OpenCOBOL. This robust
> compiler now comes with robust documentation.
>
> http://add1tocobol.com/tiki-download_file.php?fileId=73
>
> 200+ pages of beautiful, printable documentation suitable for new and
> expert COBOL coders.
>
> Cheers,
> Brian Tiffin

Congratulations, Brian.

Wish you well with it.

Like Jimmy, I would need to see support for OO before I could consider it
viable.

Pete.

From: john on
On Feb 8, 4:28 am, "Pete Dashwood"
<dashw...(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:
> Brian Tiffin wrote:
> > There is a new COBOL manual in town.
>
> > A very complete programmer's guide for OpenCOBOL.  This robust
> > compiler now comes with robust documentation.
>
> >http://add1tocobol.com/tiki-download_file.php?fileId=73
>
> > 200+ pages of beautiful, printable documentation suitable for new and
> > expert COBOL coders.
>
> > Cheers,
> > Brian Tiffin
>
> Congratulations, Brian.
>
> Wish you well with it.
>
> Like Jimmy, I would need to see support for OO before I could consider it
> viable.
>
> Pete.
>
> --
> "I used to write COBOL...now I can do anything."

It seems we now have two audiences, the proceduralists (of which I am
one) and the
Object Oriented folks. And COBOL itself exists in two quite different
forms. I suggest that
trying to cram both forms into one compiler makes it too heavy, both
for the compiler writer and the programmer.

I remember Grace Hopper saying at a ACM meeting that she did not want
to use COBOL for the things FORTRAN was good for for nor use FORTRAN
for the things COBOL was good for. Some of the code I see on this list
is quite unreadable to me. And I have been doing COBOL for many years.
What the Standards people have done is create a totally new language
and called it COBOL. I would have a better chance of reading Java or
Php, two languages I do not know, than something written in Objective
COBOL.

We are also feeding the vices of the academic community. They never
liked COBOL to start with. They taught students to code in a clumsy
fashion that mimicked other languages, nested ifs beyond all reason
and the like. I hired some of these folks years ago and their real
education began on the job.

The virtues and vices of the OO approach to programming are not the
point. COBOL was designed so that programmer A could pick up a program
written some years back by programmer B and have some hope of
understanding what was going on. That is the real world situation.
Programs need not only to be written but maintained. Systematically
the standards people have added new features and subtracted old ones
in COBOL 2002 and following to the point that it is now a different
language. Old programs may still compile. That is not the issue. The
issue is that the Standards people have created a tower of babel,
where we can no longer understand each other.

The C progamming language has now three defined variants. One can
write in C, Objective C, and C++. Each is considered a separate
entity, although the same base compiler supports each, just as a C
compiler supports Open Cobol, Tcl and so on. I have no hope of
dissuading those who want to turn COBOL into something different, a
clone of some other language, but I do suggest that we fork the
language.

Open Cobol and Tiny Cobol are the only successful non-commercial COBOL
compilers out there. The existence of a manual for one of them is a
significant achievement. I will be happy to print out the manual. And
I am sorry that there is not an internet group for those who view, as
I do, COBOL 85 as the last real COBOL, true to the original design
objectives of a writable language, a readable language, and a business
orientation.

Maybe I'll start that group.

John Culleton CCP

From: Bill Gunshannon on
In article <7bd3dcc0-272e-4f8d-8332-8b2e8e682772(a)c10g2000vbr.googlegroups.com>,
"john(a)wexfordpress.com" <john(a)wexfordpress.com> writes:
> [...]
> The C progamming language has now three defined variants. One can
> write in C, Objective C, and C++. Each is considered a separate
> entity, although the same base compiler supports each, just as a C
> compiler supports Open Cobol, Tcl and so on. I have no hope of
> dissuading those who want to turn COBOL into something different, a
> clone of some other language, but I do suggest that we fork the
> language.
> Open Cobol and Tiny Cobol are the only successful non-commercial COBOL
> compilers out there. The existence of a manual for one of them is a
> significant achievement. I will be happy to print out the manual. And
> I am sorry that there is not an internet group for those who view, as
> I do, COBOL 85 as the last real COBOL, true to the original design
> objectives of a writable language, a readable language, and a business

It seems that I am not the only one who laments what has been done to
COBOL (and other languages as well). As one who works in academia, I
can agree 100% with John's comments. As for "standards", the Standards
Bodies have one and only one real purpose. To perpetuate their own
existence and they do that by creating "standards" wether the real
world wanted or needed them and usually with total disregard for what
the real world is doing.

It would be truly interesting to know what percentage of the millions
and millions of lines of existing COBOL actually use anything beyond
COBOL 85. My guess would be a very small number as shops that use
COBOL tend to be more interested in getting their specific job done
rather than pushing the paradigm envelope.

bill

billg999(a)cs.scranton.edu | and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton |
Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include <std.disclaimer.h>
From: Howard Brazee on
On 10 Feb 2010 16:02:51 GMT, billg999(a)cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon)
wrote:

>It would be truly interesting to know what percentage of the millions
>and millions of lines of existing COBOL actually use anything beyond
>COBOL 85. My guess would be a very small number as shops that use
>COBOL tend to be more interested in getting their specific job done
>rather than pushing the paradigm envelope.

Simple additions are probably pretty common. The stuff that still
looks like CoBOL.

But outside of this newsgroup, I have seen zero interest in OO CoBOL.
There are other languages that are selected for native OO. Some
people recommend OO CoBOL to encapsulate existing code, but in
mainframe environments, we find that re-writing is best for major
changes. OO is a tool in our arsenal, used when it is
appropriate.

- James Madison
From: Duke Normandin on
On 2010-02-10, Bill Gunshannon <billg999(a)cs.uofs.edu> wrote:
> [...]
>> orientation.
>> Maybe I'll start that group.
>> John Culleton CCP
>
> It seems that I am not the only one who laments what has been done to
> COBOL (and other languages as well). As one who works in academia, I
> can agree 100% with John's comments. As for "standards", the Standards
> Bodies have one and only one real purpose. To perpetuate their own
> existence and they do that by creating "standards" wether the real
> world wanted or needed them and usually with total disregard for what
> the real world is doing.
>
> It would be truly interesting to know what percentage of the millions
> and millions of lines of existing COBOL actually use anything beyond
> COBOL 85. My guess would be a very small number as shops that use
> COBOL tend to be more interested in getting their specific job done
> rather than pushing the paradigm envelope.

I'm a COBOL noob/novice, that wholeheartedly supports you and John with
respect to COBOL having been morphed into a multi-paradigm language. I
personally want to learn classic, procedural COBOL. If I want to learn OOP,
I'll look at Smalltalk, Python, whatever.

Although I've got OpenCOBOL set up on my OS X box, I've yet bear down and
learn the language. I need some COBOL tasks - anybody need a COBOL
code-monkey cheap -- as in free? ;)
--
Duke
*** Tolerance becomes a crime, when applied to evil [Thomas Mann] ***
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: ANN: OpenCOBOL Programmer's Guide
Next: Justice for all