From: John Bowling on
Whenever I save or open a file with OpenOffice, it brings up a file manager
that looks like dolphin, and proceeds to take about 10 seconds to open the
top level directory, and the same for each additional one. Even if I access
two files in the same directory, it will take the 10 seconds to scan every
time. It's OO version 3.1.1 (9319 build) with openSUSE 11.2 Kde4 - dual core
AMD 5000+

The only way not to not waste the time is to open a file manager separate
from OO and then click on an OO file to open. That is quicker, even when it
has to start up OO. Can't help with saving to a new file name or directory.

This is very recent. I've used OO for several years, all on openSUSE from
9.x on and various desktop managers and, until now, never had this problem.

My Eee PC900 has the same version of OO 3.1.1 (9319 build) with openSUSE
11.2 and Xfce. It does not display this problem. Other than the initial
booting of OO (which is slow on a 900 mHz CPU), opening and saving to new
names is quick.

I'm using Giganews now - Cox is discontinuing their news service, claming it
is not used very often.

John
From: 1jam on
houghi wrote:

> John Bowling wrote:
> <snip hope you find a solution>
>> I'm using Giganews now - Cox is discontinuing their news service, claming
>> it is not used very often.
>
> There are various free newsservers out there.
>
> houghi

....news.telesweet.net, news.mixmin.net... shhhh don't tell anyone.
From: John Bowling on
John Bowling wrote:

> Whenever I save or open a file with OpenOffice, it brings up a file
> manager that looks like dolphin, and proceeds to take about 10 seconds to
> open the top level directory, and the same for each additional one. Even
> if I access two files in the same directory, it will take the 10 seconds
> to scan every time. It's OO version 3.1.1 (9319 build) with openSUSE 11.2
> Kde4 - dual core AMD 5000+
>
> The only way not to not waste the time is to open a file manager separate
> from OO and then click on an OO file to open. That is quicker, even when
> it has to start up OO. Can't help with saving to a new file name or
> directory.
>
> This is very recent. I've used OO for several years, all on openSUSE from
> 9.x on and various desktop managers and, until now, never had this
> problem.
>
> My Eee PC900 has the same version of OO 3.1.1 (9319 build) with openSUSE
> 11.2 and Xfce. It does not display this problem. Other than the initial
> booting of OO (which is slow on a 900 mHz CPU), opening and saving to new
> names is quick.
>
> I'm using Giganews now - Cox is discontinuing their news service, claming
> it is not used very often.
>
> John

The problem with Open Office and files fixed itself.

From: R S Wood on
On 5/12/10 5:37 PM, John Bowling wrote:
> John Bowling wrote:
>
>> Whenever I save or open a file with OpenOffice, it brings up a file
>> manager that looks like dolphin, and proceeds to take about 10 seconds to
>> open the top level directory, and the same for each additional one.

<snip>

> The problem with Open Office and files fixed itself.

These two, sequential comments make me think the problem was potentially
with some processing indexing folders and files in the background.
Anyway, glad your situation has improved.

Pages: 1
Prev: Find the running VirtualBox machines.
Next: lxde