From: graham on
In Re:Parameters in bash, Houghi wrote:

"Factory LXDE" {da740027-f334-4386-8a21-bd35f3da0870}

How are you finding lxde?
From: graham on
On Wed, 12 May 2010 14:51:19 +0200, houghi wrote:

> graham wrote:
>> In Re:Parameters in bash, Houghi wrote:
>>
>> "Factory LXDE" {da740027-f334-4386-8a21-bd35f3da0870}
>>
>> How are you finding lxde?
>
> Not for me, but then I have not realy looked at it. The best thing is to
> install it and try it out. Either with something like `VirtualBox` or on
> your running system.
>
> http://houghi.org/movie/index.php?movie=lxde_001 gives perhaps a bit
> more insight. It also shows almost everything I did with it. :-)
>
> houghi

Thanks for that.
It looks something like I'm looking for to avoid KDE4.
From: graham on
On Thu, 13 May 2010 21:30:38 +0200, houghi wrote:

> houghi wrote:
>> Just for fun (and to test the script I wrote to take screenshots) I
>> will see that I can take some video of all of them.
>
> OMG! This was fun doing. The script kept dropping out under me. Stoopid
> filenames with spaces. :-D Then the making of the video went wrong, next
> the audio did not cut. But it is now working for me and depends on many
> other programs, like mplayer, ffmpeg, kdialog, wish and mp3splt.
>
> The wish part took me some hours to figure out how to show the elapsed
> time.
>
> Anyway. Here are the results:
> http://houghi.org/movie/
>
> The interesting ones:
> GNOME on 11.3
> KDE om 11.3
> LXDE on Factory
> Screen 01 on XFCE
> Windowmaker on 11.3
> Enlightenment sample
> IceWM on 11.3
>
> Mmm. Must see to change the filenames in the script.
>

> houghi

The movies are unreadable in small screen and blurred but acceptable, in
the main, in full screen.

Your XFCE desktop is customised to a degree that makes it difficult to
make an evaluation, compounded by the small fonts making it difficult to
see. I have installed XFCE on my 11.2 kde installation, and created a
new user to look at it. The base setup looked fine and it is certainly
worth looking at this further.

Windowmaker didn't like at all.
IceWM and Enlightenment not realy my cup of tea.
Gnome I have on my second computer ( 11.2 version ) and this looks OK
having got rid of the awful main menu.
KDE is a second installation on my main computer and the less said the
better.

So when 11.3 is released I shall install, on separate partitions, LXDE,
XFCE, and gnome and then spend some time customising them before I decide
what will replace (if any) my 11.1 kde3 installation.
From: EOS on
graham wrote:

> So when 11.3 is released I shall install, on separate partitions, LXDE,
> XFCE, and gnome and then spend some time customising them before I decide
> what will replace (if any) my 11.1 kde3 installation.

if you don't find you're stuff and still want add kde3 ;-)
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE3/openSUSE_Factory
it's not supported but i believe it should work on openSUSE 11.3.

besides that, i installed LXDE instead of Xfce on a slow laptop.
for me it run even so good than xfce, but i am a KDE lover ;-)
--
EOS
www.photo-memories.be
From: Shmuel Metz on
In <gfbHn.52947$3w4.44666(a)newsfe14.ams2>, on 05/14/2010
at 12:21 PM, graham <graham.marsden1(a)ntlworld.com> said:

>So when 11.3 is released I shall install, on separate partitions,
>LXDE, XFCE, and gnome

Why not install all of them on the same partition? It takes less time
to just log on than to reboot and log on.

reply to spamtrap(a)library.lspace.org

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: OpenOffice problem with Kde4