From: Will Honea on
I'm having a problem with a spread sheet in oo. When I enter the path to
another spread sheet in a formula, Calc forces the entire path to all lower
case. That's a real PITA when openSUSE creates the default user folder
"Documents" and/or the linked file name is upper/mixed case. I've used this
spread sheet for several years but it only gets dusted off about once a year
when the wife needs grade stats for all her classes (she teaches elementary
music so that maps to 25 classes with some 700 students - no fun to work
piecemeal!) so I just now caught the error. I've got oo versions back to
3.0.0.9 loaded around here so this has to have crept in at or before that
since I've used Calc with this for at least 6 years. Has anyone else seen
this? If so, any ideas on how to beat it? Short of a work around, I'm
going to have to revert one of these boxes to something like 2.4.3 just to
save myself lots of grief - or see if I can make it work in Excel.

--
Will Honea

From: Baron on
Will Honea Inscribed thus:

> I'm having a problem with a spread sheet in oo. When I enter the path
> to another spread sheet in a formula, Calc forces the entire path to
> all lower
> case. That's a real PITA when openSUSE creates the default user
> folder
> "Documents" and/or the linked file name is upper/mixed case. I've
> used this spread sheet for several years but it only gets dusted off
> about once a year when the wife needs grade stats for all her classes
> (she teaches elementary music so that maps to 25 classes with some 700
> students - no fun to work
> piecemeal!) so I just now caught the error. I've got oo versions back
> to 3.0.0.9 loaded around here so this has to have crept in at or
> before that since I've used Calc with this for at least 6 years. Has
> anyone else seen
> this? If so, any ideas on how to beat it? Short of a work around,
> I'm going to have to revert one of these boxes to something like 2.4.3
> just to save myself lots of grief - or see if I can make it work in
> Excel.

Create a link to the required file and then call the link.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: Will Honea on
Baron wrote:

> Will Honea Inscribed thus:
>
>> I'm having a problem with a spread sheet in oo. When I enter the path
>> to another spread sheet in a formula, Calc forces the entire path to
>> all lower
>> case. That's a real PITA when openSUSE creates the default user
>> folder
>> "Documents" and/or the linked file name is upper/mixed case. I've
>> used this spread sheet for several years but it only gets dusted off
>> about once a year when the wife needs grade stats for all her classes
>> (she teaches elementary music so that maps to 25 classes with some 700
>> students - no fun to work
>> piecemeal!) so I just now caught the error. I've got oo versions back
>> to 3.0.0.9 loaded around here so this has to have crept in at or
>> before that since I've used Calc with this for at least 6 years. Has
>> anyone else seen
>> this? If so, any ideas on how to beat it? Short of a work around,
>> I'm going to have to revert one of these boxes to something like 2.4.3
>> just to save myself lots of grief - or see if I can make it work in
>> Excel.
>>

> Create a link to the required file and then call the link.

I thought of that. It gets messy even that way since the entire path to the
link pasted into the spread sheet has to be all lower case but on further
thought that does suggest a change to the spread sheet that addresses
another aspect. In practice, the data source files change names every year
as teachers shuffle in and out or change assignments and some submit data
files in .xls (Excel format) while others have seen the light and use oo and
submit .ods files. The link idea (if it works) would take care of having to
change the spread sheet in multiple places - which means you always miss a
few - every time a data source changed file name/location/format. Change
the link in a single place and not the spread sheet in multiple places -
that I like!

--
Will Honea

From: Lew Pitcher on
On January 25, 2010 02:44, in alt.os.linux.suse, whonea(a)yahoo.com wrote:

> I'm having a problem with a spread sheet in oo. When I enter the path to
> another spread sheet in a formula, Calc forces the entire path to all
> lower case.
[snip]

I can't recreate your problem in my OpenOffice Calc. But, then again, I've
fiddled with the default settings to get it to work the way I want. Perhaps
one of the default settings is fouling your spreadsheet up.

Check the values in Tools -> Options -> Language Settings -> Writing Aids
Uncheck the options that have to do with capitalization, and see if that
makes a difference.

FWIW, I have
Check spelling as you type,
Check uppercase words,
Check words with numbers, and
Check capitalization
all unchecked.

HTH
--
Lew Pitcher

From: watnne on
Use Excel!

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 14:22:03 -0500, Lew Pitcher
<lpitcher(a)teksavvy.com> wrote:

>On January 25, 2010 02:44, in alt.os.linux.suse, whonea(a)yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> I'm having a problem with a spread sheet in oo. When I enter the path to
>> another spread sheet in a formula, Calc forces the entire path to all
>> lower case.
>[snip]
>
>I can't recreate your problem in my OpenOffice Calc. But, then again, I've
>fiddled with the default settings to get it to work the way I want. Perhaps
>one of the default settings is fouling your spreadsheet up.
>
>Check the values in Tools -> Options -> Language Settings -> Writing Aids
>Uncheck the options that have to do with capitalization, and see if that
>makes a difference.
>
>FWIW, I have
> Check spelling as you type,
> Check uppercase words,
> Check words with numbers, and
> Check capitalization
>all unchecked.
>
>HTH
>--
>Lew Pitcher
>Master Codewright & JOAT-in-training | Registered Linux User #112576
>Me: http://pitcher.digitalfreehold.ca/ | Just Linux: http://justlinux.ca/
>---------- Slackware - Because I know what I'm doing. ------

HELP! I CAN'T STOP TYPING IN CAPITAL LETTERS UNDER WINDOWS!
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Nedit in kde4
Next: strange sound behavior