From: Baron on
Hi Guys,

I have just wiped OpenSuse 10.3 and installed 11.1 on my spare machine.
But I have a problem with it. At the end of the install when you get
to login for the first time, all I get is a "Login" prompt.

Putting in the root password and typing "startx" gets me "X server
failed to start" ! Non of the terminal (alt+ctrl+Fx) works either.

Machine is a "Via chipset" with and AMD Athlon 64-4000, 1GB ram, on
board video etc.

Any ideas where to start looking.

Thanks in advance.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: Vahis on
On 2009-09-26, Baron <baron.nospam(a)linuxmaniac.nospam.net> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I have just wiped OpenSuse 10.3 and installed 11.1 on my spare machine.
> But I have a problem with it. At the end of the install when you get
> to login for the first time, all I get is a "Login" prompt.
>
> Putting in the root password and typing "startx" gets me "X server
> failed to start" ! Non of the terminal (alt+ctrl+Fx) works either.

Never startx as root! Never!

Just log in as root. No x.
Then command init 3
Then command sax2
Then configure your display. Once it's OK leave sax2.
Then command init 5 & exit.

You should get the GUI login screen.

Vahis
--
"Sunrise 7:15am (EEST), sunset 7:06pm (EEST) at Espoo, Finland (11:50 hours daylight)"
http://waxborg.servepics.com
From: Happy Oyster on
On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 19:47:08 GMT, Vahis <waxborg(a)gmail.com.invalid> wrote:

>On 2009-09-26, Baron <baron.nospam(a)linuxmaniac.nospam.net> wrote:
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> I have just wiped OpenSuse 10.3 and installed 11.1 on my spare machine.
>> But I have a problem with it. At the end of the install when you get
>> to login for the first time, all I get is a "Login" prompt.
>>
>> Putting in the root password and typing "startx" gets me "X server
>> failed to start" ! Non of the terminal (alt+ctrl+Fx) works either.
>
>Never startx as root! Never!

Why not?

--
TINA LIVE ! TINA LIVE ! TINA LIVE ! TINA LIVE ! TINA LIVE ! TINA LIVE !

http://www.leipziger-montagsdemo.de/informationen/daten/daten_02_spd/TINA-There_Is_No_Alternative_I.jpg
http://www.leipziger-montagsdemo.de/informationen/daten/daten_02_spd/TINA-There_Is_No_Alternative_II.jpg
From: Baron on
Vahis wrote:

> On 2009-09-26, Baron <baron.nospam(a)linuxmaniac.nospam.net> wrote:
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> I have just wiped OpenSuse 10.3 and installed 11.1 on my spare
>> machine.
>> But I have a problem with it. At the end of the install when you get
>> to login for the first time, all I get is a "Login" prompt.
>>
>> Putting in the root password and typing "startx" gets me "X server
>> failed to start" ! Non of the terminal (alt+ctrl+Fx) works either.
>
> Never startx as root! Never!
>
> Just log in as root. No x.
> Then command init 3
> Then command sax2
> Then configure your display. Once it's OK leave sax2.
> Then command init 5 & exit.
>
> You should get the GUI login screen.
>
> Vahis

Hi Vahis,
Thanks:
I tried that and I get "Failed to start X server"

What really annoys me is that I can install 10.3 and it all works as
expected. I even tried updating from a clean 10.3 install and end up
the same !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: Taki on
Baron wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I have just wiped OpenSuse 10.3 and installed 11.1 on my spare machine.
> But I have a problem with it. At the end of the install when you get
> to login for the first time, all I get is a "Login" prompt.
[...]
> Machine is a "Via chipset" with and AMD Athlon 64-4000, 1GB ram, on
> board video etc.
[...]

The most likely culprit is the Via on-board Unichrome chip set and the
new and improved X System.

I've had a very similar problem. Up to openSUSE 10.3, the X System gave
me no problem. You skipped 11.0. With this version, X started but its
configuration was wrong: streaks, etc. I copied the old xorg.conf (maybe
I re-installed 10.3 and saved its xorg.conf on my /home/taki/
(partition/directory).

With 11.1, I got the exactly the same symptom like yours. By this time,
I have copied the old xorg.conf on USB sticks as well as on /home/taki/.
I may be missing some latest and greatest improvements of the X, but I
don't care. I log in as 'root':
#cp /home/taki/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf
overwriting the newly-installed xorg.conf.

Try copying the 10.3 xorg.conf to /etc/X11. (You can rename the
freshly-minted xorg.conf or save it elsewhere to study.) Or using sax2
manually, giving options for 'VESA' may work. I have no idea how to do
this.

---
I think that some people have been working on the driver for the S3/Via
chip set and that the installer detects the Via chip set, with an
unfortunate result. On my machine, xorg-x11-driver-video-unichrome is
installed.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Prev: useradd issue