From: Wodans on
Hi All,

I just got a Huawei e1752 3G broadband modem. It to works fine under
Network manager (Opensuse 11.1 x86_64, using usb_modeswitch) and can
connect to the Internet. However, I would like to share the Internet
connection with other computers using a wireless router. I have two NICs
in the computer using the 3G modem. The USB modem doesn't show up in
yast-firewall or in yast-network settings so I am not able to share the
connection through masquerading using firewall/network settings.

Anyone successfully shared this type of connection? Any pointers would
be appreciated. Google has not been my friend so far...

Cheers

Wodans
From: Rob on
Wodans <wodans(a)net.org> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I just got a Huawei e1752 3G broadband modem. It to works fine under
> Network manager (Opensuse 11.1 x86_64, using usb_modeswitch) and can
> connect to the Internet. However, I would like to share the Internet
> connection with other computers using a wireless router. I have two NICs
> in the computer using the 3G modem. The USB modem doesn't show up in
> yast-firewall or in yast-network settings so I am not able to share the
> connection through masquerading using firewall/network settings.

When it appears to the system as ttyUSB0 as you write in the title,
it probably exists in the networking as PPP0.
From: Wodans on
Thanks Rob,

You're right, it shows up as PPP0 but I'm still not able to share the
connection. Any pointers?

Cheers

Wodans

From: David Bolt on
On Sunday 27 Sep 2009 19:46, Wodans played with alphabet spaghetti and
left this residue on the plate:

First, please don't top-post. A lot of people don't like it and won't
reply to those that do so repeatedly.

> Thanks Rob,
>
> You're right, it shows up as PPP0 but I'm still not able to share the
> connection. Any pointers?

Look at masquerading. It's been many years sine I did anything like
that. Basically, the one with the broadband router will be the gateway
for the other machines and masquerade the connections for those other
machines behind it. I think it can be done using SuSEfirewall but,
since I preferred to roll my own ipchains and, later on, iptables
rules, I don't know how it would be done that way.

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: www.distributed.net OGR-NG @ ~100Mnodes RC5-72 @ ~1Mkeys/s
openSUSE 10.3 32b | openSUSE 11.0 32b | |