From: Richard Müller on
Hi all,
on Suse 11.1with KDE 4 by mistake gave a file root-rights and with chown I
changed it back and moved it to a non-root folder.
Now I wanted to install a program with Yast and got the (wrong) information,
that my root-password is not valid.
By typing "su" into a terminal and after giving my password I got the
message:
su: es ist nicht möglich, die Gruppen zu setzen: Die Operation ist nicht
erlaubt
(that means in english:
su: It is not possible to set groups. The operation is not allowed.)
What did I wrong and, more important, what have I to do to get su to work
again?

Thanks for helping - Richard

From: propman on
Richard Müller wrote:
> Hi all,
> on Suse 11.1with KDE 4 by mistake gave a file root-rights and with chown I
> changed it back and moved it to a non-root folder.
> Now I wanted to install a program with Yast and got the (wrong) information,
> that my root-password is not valid.
> By typing "su" into a terminal and after giving my password I got the
> message:
> su: es ist nicht möglich, die Gruppen zu setzen: Die Operation ist nicht
> erlaubt
> (that means in english:
> su: It is not possible to set groups. The operation is not allowed.)
> What did I wrong and, more important, what have I to do to get su to work
> again?
>
> Thanks for helping - Richard

FWIW I used the following method last time my system lost my password:

http://www.susegeek.com/general/how-to-resetrecover-the-root-password-in-opensuse/
From: Marcel Bruinsma on
Am Mittwoch, 30. September 2009 23:04, Richard Müller a écrit :

> By typing "su" into a terminal and after giving my password
> I got the message:
> su: es ist nicht möglich, die Gruppen zu setzen:
> Die Operation ist nicht erlaubt

If you look at setgroups(2), section ERRORS:
« EPERM The calling process has insufficient privilege

The su executable should be owned by root and have the
set-uid bit enabled, 'ls -l /bin/su' :
-rwsr-xr-x 1 root root [...] /bin/su

Check if the shell is starting the real su; for zsh or
bash, 'type su' :
su is /bin/su

--
printf -v email $(echo \ 155 141 162 143 145 154 142 162 165 151 \
156 163 155 141 100 171 141 150 157 157 056 143 157 155|tr \ \\\\)
From: bb on
On 2009-09-30 23:04, Richard Müller wrote:
> Hi all,
> on Suse 11.1with KDE 4 by mistake gave a file root-rights and with chown I
> changed it back and moved it to a non-root folder.
> Now I wanted to install a program with Yast and got the (wrong) information,
> that my root-password is not valid.
> By typing "su" into a terminal and after giving my password I got the
> message:
> su: es ist nicht möglich, die Gruppen zu setzen: Die Operation ist nicht
> erlaubt
> (that means in english:
> su: It is not possible to set groups. The operation is not allowed.)
> What did I wrong and, more important, what have I to do to get su to work
> again?
>
> Thanks for helping - Richard

You can query the rpm databas to figure out the package for
/bin/su

Try:
rpm -qf /bin/su

The answer is coreutils-<version>

Verify that the installed files are correct.

rpm --verify coreutils

If you see some diffs, compare the list from ls -l with
the package permissions:

rpm -qlv coreutils

If you need to chmod any of them and can't be root you must boot
rescue or say init=/bin/bash in the boot menu.

/bb

Pages: 1
Prev: ttyUSB0 and ICS
Next: unable to install Skype