From: Richard Müller on
Hi all,
I tried to install Skype on my opensuse 11.1-x86 computer. I got the Linux
package from Skype (their recent Linux website, for opensuse 11+).
After installing and typing "skype" in the terminal I got the following
message:
skype: error while loading shared libraries: libQtDBus.so.4: cannot open

Ok, let's install the libQtDbus library. That was impossible: Every package
had two or more dependencies, which weren't fulfilled. The search for some
of the packages led to no results. Once a package called rpmlib was asked.
rpmlib didn't show up in any repo and rpmsite searched.. so I tried rpm.-
lib. No it didn't work, because rpm-lib asked for beecrypt. beecrypt I could
not install because it aked for rpm-lib..

I cannot imagine that it is so difficult to install a mainstream program as
skype. I think, others did...

Do you have any hints to help me?

Thanks - Richard

From: Richard Müller on

> You need libqt4 which, if you've installed KDE4, would already be
> installed. You'll want the 32bit version of libqt4 as the skype package
> is only available as a 32bit version for openSUSE.

Thanks, that was a valuable hint.
The 64-bit version was already installed, and I added the 32 bit version.
Now Skype starts (I wonder why it's hidden in "Programs - Internet - Desktop
Publishing" in KDE's Program starter ?).
But I can't change my online status and all remote skypers of my list are
shown as offline - including the test call.

Richard

From: Darrell Stec on
Richard Müller inscribed forevermore utilizing silicon chips::

> Hi all,
> I tried to install Skype on my opensuse 11.1-x86 computer. I got the Linux
> package from Skype (their recent Linux website, for opensuse 11+).
> After installing and typing "skype" in the terminal I got the following
> message:
> skype: error while loading shared libraries: libQtDBus.so.4: cannot open

I think I installed Skype from the openSuse (10.3) repositories. It went
smoothly. Version 1.4.0.118-suse. Oops, strike that. I see I downloaded
it.

This is the dependency list:
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.4)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3.4)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)
libpthread.so.0
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2)
libm.so.6
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1.3)
libm.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1)
libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4)
libstdc++.so.6
libc.so.6
libgcc_s.so.1
libstdc++.so.6(CXXABI_1.3.1)
libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.0)
libstdc++.so.6(CXXABI_1.3)
libgcc_s.so.1(GCC_3.0)
libasound.so.2(ALSA_0.9)
libasound.so.2(ALSA_0.9.0rc4)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3)
libasound.so.2
libgcc_s.so.1(GLIBC_2.0)
librt.so.1
libsigc-2.0.so.0
libX11.so.6
libQtCore.so.4
libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.1)
libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.3.2)
libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.2)
libQtGui.so.4
libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.4)
libQtDBus.so.4
libQtNetwork.so.4
libqt4-x11 >= 4.2

> Ok, let's install the libQtDbus library. That was impossible: Every
> package had two or more dependencies, which weren't fulfilled. The search
> for some of the packages led to no results. Once a package called rpmlib
> was asked. rpmlib didn't show up in any repo and rpmsite searched.. so I
> tried rpm.- lib. No it didn't work, because rpm-lib asked for beecrypt.
> beecrypt I could not install because it aked for rpm-lib..
>
> I cannot imagine that it is so difficult to install a mainstream program
> as
> skype. I think, others did...
>
> Do you have any hints to help me?
>
> Thanks - Richard

Sometimes using Smart Package Manager sorts out the dependency problem that
YAST has a problem with.

Try (without quotes) in a terminal might need to use "su" {the superuser
mode] rpm --rebuilddb

There are some other things to try but I forget what they are just now.

--
Later,
Darrell
From: David Bolt on
On Tuesday 06 Oct 2009 02:20, Darrell Stec played with alphabet
spaghetti and left this residue on the plate:

> Richard Müller inscribed forevermore utilizing silicon chips::
>
>> Hi all,
>> I tried to install Skype on my opensuse 11.1-x86 computer. I got the Linux
>> package from Skype (their recent Linux website, for opensuse 11+).
>> After installing and typing "skype" in the terminal I got the following
>> message:
>> skype: error while loading shared libraries: libQtDBus.so.4: cannot open
>> shared object file: No such file or directory

You need libqt4 which, if you've installed KDE4, would already be
installed. You'll want the 32bit version of libqt4 as the skype package
is only available as a 32bit version for openSUSE.

I'd love to know how they packaged skype because it's not listing any
of the shared libraries it requires, which is what would normally be
present if built on an openSUSE system.

>> Ok, let's install the libQtDbus library. That was impossible: Every
>> package had two or more dependencies, which weren't fulfilled.

Where were you getting the packages? If you have the openSUSE-oss repo
enabled, the dependencies should have been pulled in from there.

>> The search
>> for some of the packages led to no results. Once a package called rpmlib
>> was asked. rpmlib didn't show up in any repo and rpmsite searched..

rpmlib isn't a package, and it's also "provided" by rpm, although if
you ask to see what the package rpm provides you'll see it as librpm.

>> so I
>> tried rpm.- lib. No it didn't work, because rpm-lib asked for beecrypt.
>> beecrypt I could not install because it aked for rpm-lib..

What's beecrypt got to do with it? It's not needed, at least not for.

>> I cannot imagine that it is so difficult to install a mainstream program
>> as
>> skype. I think, others did...

Neither can I.

>> Do you have any hints to help me?

See below.

> Sometimes using Smart Package Manager sorts out the dependency problem that
> YAST has a problem with.

This doesn't sound like an issue with YaST but more an issue of
user-confusion.

> Try (without quotes) in a terminal might need to use "su" {the superuser
> mode] rpm --rebuilddb

That shouldn't be needed, at least not unless it's become corrupted for
some reason.

> There are some other things to try but I forget what they are just now.

First thing I'd do, since I have to wonder just what Richard has done,
is to open a root console and use:

zypper verify

just to make sure there aren't any broken dependencies. If there are,
fix them before proceeding. After that, use the following to find out
just what would be required to install skype by doing a dry run:

zypper in -D /path/to/skype-2.1.0.47-suse.i586.rpm

If it can't install it for some reason, post the error. If it can,
actually install it using:

zypper in /path/to/skype-2.1.0.47-suse.i586.rpm

Also, note that if you're using a 64bit system, this will pull in
quite a few 32bit packages to satisfy dependencies as skype hasn't been
released as a 64bit package as yet.

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: www.distributed.net OGR-NG @ ~100Mnodes RC5-72 @ ~1Mkeys/s
openSUSE 10.3 32b | openSUSE 11.0 32b | |
From: DenverD on
sounds like a bad install, huh?

did you try the instructions available at http://en.opensuse.org/Skype

though i have NO idea how to undo the damage which may have been done
in failed attempts, i do believe your success will depend on your
ability to go back to an unSkyped system, and start afresh..

--
DenverD (Linux Counter 282315) via Thunderbird 2.0.0.23 (20090817),
KDE 3.5.7 "release 72-11", openSUSE Linux 10.3, 2.6.22.19-0.4-default
#1 SMP i686 athlon
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: no more su :-(