From: Charlie Gibbs on
In article <htli7i$6kg$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
TJ(a)noneofyour.business (TJ) writes:

> About a month ago, my LG DVD burner started making coasters, even
> though it was still reading discs with no troubles. I investigated,
> determined that it was probably the burner itself, andbought a new
> one. That did indeed cure the problem.
>
> However, at one point Google led me to an old discussion on the
> lifetime of burners, where a couple of the participants asserted
> that if you use a burner (They were talking about CD burners) for
> reading as well as burning, you will shorten its life considerably.
> Consequently, as long as my old burner still reads OK, I'll be using
> it for that and reserving my burner for burning.
>
> Makes sense to do that, anyway, just from a wear-and-tear standpoint.
> But still I'm curious. The whole assertion sounds something like the
> hardware equivalent of an urban legend to me, but then stranger things
> are true. Does anybody know if it IS true? Or perhaps it was true of
> older hardware but not of more modern stuff?

My burner (also an LG, for what it's worth) started doing the same
thing a while ago. Although I got a new one myself, I took the old
one apart as much as I could and gave it a thorough cleaning: no
cleaner kit, just a bit of work with a vacuum cleaner, a spray can,
and a clean rag. I put it back together and popped it back into the
machine alongside the new one. It's working just fine again. I've
been using it for both reading and writing all along.

--
/~\ cgibbs(a)kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)

From: JTF on
On May 27, 6:40 am, TJ <T...(a)noneofyour.business> wrote:
> About a month ago, my LG DVD burner started making coasters, even though
> it was still reading discs with no troubles. I investigated, determined
> that it was probably the burner itself, andbought a new one. That did
> indeed cure the problem.
>
> However, at one point Google led me to an old discussion on the lifetime
> of burners, where a couple of the participants asserted that if you use
> a burner (They were talking about CD burners) for reading as well as
> burning, you will shorten its life considerably. Consequently, as long
> as my old burner still reads OK, I'll be using it for that and reserving
> my burner for burning.
>
> Makes sense to do that, anyway, just from a wear-and-tear standpoint.
> But still I'm curious. The whole assertion sounds something like the
> hardware equivalent of an urban legend to me, but then stranger things
> are true. Does anybody know if it IS true? Or perhaps it was true of
> older hardware but not of more modern stuff?
>
> TJ
> --
> There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

The burner's laser is the heart of the beast. Most any of these
devices are likely built from parts sources from where ever it was
cheapest at the time. While other companies will not sacrifice
quality for cost of manufacture.....

Just because it has the LG logo on it, doesn't mean that it was
manufactured for LG....It only means that the device was private
labeled/branded.

To answer your question: I've had CD/DVD players and writers last 5-6
years before they were replaced out of obsolescence. While other
times I've had CD/DVD writers last only a few months. It depends
largely on the environment and whether curious fingers have "looked"
at the inside workings (kids) or if the unit got knocked or hit at
some point....Other times, it is just cheap components which make up
the device which lead to a short lifespan.

It isn't uncommon but it IS unfortunate that stuff doesn't last
anymore.
From: JTF on
On May 27, 6:40 am, TJ <T...(a)noneofyour.business> wrote:
> About a month ago, my LG DVD burner started making coasters, even though
> it was still reading discs with no troubles. I investigated, determined
> that it was probably the burner itself, andbought a new one. That did
> indeed cure the problem.
>
> However, at one point Google led me to an old discussion on the lifetime
> of burners, where a couple of the participants asserted that if you use
> a burner (They were talking about CD burners) for reading as well as
> burning, you will shorten its life considerably. Consequently, as long
> as my old burner still reads OK, I'll be using it for that and reserving
> my burner for burning.
>
> Makes sense to do that, anyway, just from a wear-and-tear standpoint.
> But still I'm curious. The whole assertion sounds something like the
> hardware equivalent of an urban legend to me, but then stranger things
> are true. Does anybody know if it IS true? Or perhaps it was true of
> older hardware but not of more modern stuff?
>
> TJ
> --
> There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

The burner's laser is the heart of the beast. Most any of these
devices are likely built from parts sources from where ever it was
cheapest at the time. While other companies will not sacrifice
quality for cost of manufacture.....

Just because it has the LG logo on it, doesn't necessarily mean that
it was
manufactured BY LG....It COULD mean that the device was private
labeled/branded FOR LG.

From: Michael Black on
On Thu, 27 May 2010, TJ wrote:

> About a month ago, my LG DVD burner started making coasters, even though it
> was still reading discs with no troubles. I investigated, determined that it
> was probably the burner itself, andbought a new one. That did indeed cure the
> problem.
>
> However, at one point Google led me to an old discussion on the lifetime of
> burners, where a couple of the participants asserted that if you use a burner
> (They were talking about CD burners) for reading as well as burning, you will
> shorten its life considerably. Consequently, as long as my old burner still
> reads OK, I'll be using it for that and reserving my burner for burning.

I don't know, but one issue may be based on the early days. Drives to
read the disks arrived first, and dropped in price as things went along.
Drives for writing to the CDROMs (and later DVDROMs) must have lagged
behind the read only drives. Given that, if you were paying fifty dollars
for a read only drive, and then $200 or more for one that writes (examples
pulled out of thin air), it made sense to wear out the read only drive
for routine reads. Most people would read more than write, and if you
wear out the drive, it's cheaper to buy that $50 readonly drive than
the $200 one that writes.

Obviously, that changes with time, with very little differential between
readonly drives and those that write.

Note that it requires considerably more power to write to a blank
CD or DVD than it does to read one. That may put more stress on the
drive (or at least the laser), and thus frequent writing may wear
it out faster than reading.

Michael
From: Pascal Hambourg on
Hello,

TJ a �crit :

> However, at one point Google led me to an old discussion on the lifetime
> of burners, where a couple of the participants asserted that if you use
> a burner (They were talking about CD burners) for reading as well as
> burning, you will shorten its life considerably. Consequently, as long
> as my old burner still reads OK, I'll be using it for that and reserving
> my burner for burning.
>
> Makes sense to do that, anyway, just from a wear-and-tear standpoint.
> But still I'm curious. The whole assertion sounds something like the
> hardware equivalent of an urban legend to me, but then stranger things
> are true. Does anybody know if it IS true? Or perhaps it was true of
> older hardware but not of more modern stuff?

I don't know if it's true, but I heard of that too. The explaination was
that the optical blocks of early CD burners was heavier and more fragile
than those of CD readers. So it was advised to use a CD burner only for
image copying or burning which involves sequential read/write operation
thus smooth head moves, but not for normal read operation possibly
involving random head moves.