From: Ian Piper on
Hi all,

Exposing another area of my technological ignorance... I have been
amassing some video downloads from the iTunes Store over the last year
or so. I can watch these on my MBPro or iPad, but I have been wondering
what options I have for watching them on my TV. I know that I can
connect the iPad to the TV directly (using a special (aka kerr-ching!)
adapter from Apple) and I can jump through iMovie and iDVD hoops to put
them onto DVD and hence to TV. However I'd like something a bit more
seamless. I have looked at the Apple TV and it does seem to do this...
but I am concerned that it seems to have had rather a critical pasting.
Also, at over �225 it seems a pricey way to do it. Do any of you have
one? Is it any good? Is there anything else that does this sort of
thing?

So anyway, some advice would be welcome. To recap, I have TV shows and
movies with .mp4, .mov and .m4v formats (well, extensions) on my
computer. I want to watch them on my TV. How best to do that?

Thanks for any sage words,

Ian.
--
Ian Piper
Author of "Learn Xcode Tools for Mac OS X and iPhone Development",

From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 14:16:42 +0100, Ian Piper <ianpiper(a)mac.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Exposing another area of my technological ignorance... I have been
>amassing some video downloads from the iTunes Store over the last year
>or so. I can watch these on my MBPro or iPad, but I have been wondering
>what options I have for watching them on my TV. I know that I can
>connect the iPad to the TV directly (using a special (aka kerr-ching!)
>adapter from Apple) and I can jump through iMovie and iDVD hoops to put
>them onto DVD and hence to TV. However I'd like something a bit more
>seamless. I have looked at the Apple TV and it does seem to do this...
>but I am concerned that it seems to have had rather a critical pasting.
>Also, at over �225 it seems a pricey way to do it. Do any of you have
>one? Is it any good? Is there anything else that does this sort of
>thing?
>
>So anyway, some advice would be welcome. To recap, I have TV shows and
>movies with .mp4, .mov and .m4v formats (well, extensions) on my
>computer. I want to watch them on my TV. How best to do that?

What TV inputs do you have? If you've got HDMI/DVI/VGA then probably
the simplest would be a MBP-to-whichever adapter plus an audio lead.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"Hey T-Rex! This ice cream cake is delicious!"
"Thanks! You don't think it tastes like... *philosophical compromise*?"
From: ray on
Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 14:16:42 +0100, Ian Piper <ianpiper(a)mac.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >Exposing another area of my technological ignorance... I have been
> >amassing some video downloads from the iTunes Store over the last year
> >or so. I can watch these on my MBPro or iPad, but I have been wondering
> >what options I have for watching them on my TV. I know that I can
> >connect the iPad to the TV directly (using a special (aka kerr-ching!)
> >adapter from Apple) and I can jump through iMovie and iDVD hoops to put
> >them onto DVD and hence to TV. However I'd like something a bit more
> >seamless. I have looked at the Apple TV and it does seem to do this...
> >but I am concerned that it seems to have had rather a critical pasting.
> >Also, at over �225 it seems a pricey way to do it. Do any of you have
> >one? Is it any good? Is there anything else that does this sort of
> >thing?
> >
> >So anyway, some advice would be welcome. To recap, I have TV shows and
> >movies with .mp4, .mov and .m4v formats (well, extensions) on my
> >computer. I want to watch them on my TV. How best to do that?
>
> What TV inputs do you have? If you've got HDMI/DVI/VGA then probably
> the simplest would be a MBP-to-whichever adapter plus an audio lead.

XBMC or Plex on a Mini. Or roll your own media center using a Zotac ION
board and XBMC. That's what I did. 1080 HD HDMI into the TV and 5.1
audio.

--
http://www.dream-weaver.com/email.php
Web development promotion and seo