From: SM on
The user account on his MacBook has crapped out.

After a disk repair using Disk Utility it would at least boot into the
admin account fine, but now trying to switch accounts to the user one
just returns to the Accounts pref pane.

Any clues?

Cheers, Stuart
From: Chris Ridd on
On 2010-07-03 16:35:52 +0100, SM said:

> The user account on his MacBook has crapped out.
> After a disk repair using Disk Utility it would at least boot into the
> admin account fine, but now trying to switch accounts to the user one
> just returns to the Accounts pref pane.
> Any clues?

The clues are likely to be in the system.log, which you can see using
Console.app.

Why does his disk need repairing? Is the disk about to die?

--
Chris

From: Jim on
Chris Ridd <chrisridd(a)mac.com> wrote:

> On 2010-07-03 16:35:52 +0100, SM said:
>
> > The user account on his MacBook has crapped out.
> > After a disk repair using Disk Utility it would at least boot into the
> > admin account fine, but now trying to switch accounts to the user one
> > just returns to the Accounts pref pane.
> > Any clues?
>
> The clues are likely to be in the system.log, which you can see using
> Console.app.
>
> Why does his disk need repairing? Is the disk about to die?

Might be worth loading Disk Utility and seeing if the S.M.A.R.T status
is reporting anything worrying.

Jim
--
"Microsoft admitted its Vista operating system was a 'less good
product' in what IT experts have described as the most ambitious
From: SM on
On Jul 3, 5:45 pm, Chris Ridd <chrisr...(a)mac.com> wrote:
> On 2010-07-03 16:35:52 +0100, SM said:
>
> > The user account on his MacBook has crapped out.
> > After a disk repair using Disk Utility it would at least boot into the
> > admin account fine, but now trying to switch accounts to the user one
> > just returns to the Accounts pref pane.
> > Any clues?
>
> The clues are likely to be in the system.log, which you can see using
> Console.app.
>
> Why does his disk need repairing? Is the disk about to die?

His was a typo - should have read 'this'

I was watching an interesting video on the importance of backing up
video files which ran the battery down to nothing and the MacBook shut
down. When I plugged it in and restarted the Apple logo and spinning
cog appeared as normal but then just a blue screen getting brighter
and darker. Several tries ended up in this state.

I started up from a Snow Leopard disc and ran Disk Utility which
reported a few problems which it claimed to have fixed. A reboot got
to the Accounts panel and it's working fine in the Administrator
account. Switching to my user account just bounces back to the
Accounts pref pane after entering the correct password.

Stuart

From: Chris Ridd on
On 2010-07-03 17:55:20 +0100, SM said:

> On Jul 3, 5:45�pm, Chris Ridd <chrisr...(a)mac.com> wrote:
>> On 2010-07-03 16:35:52 +0100, SM said:
>>
>>> The user account on his MacBook has crapped out.
>>> After a disk repair using Disk Utility it would at least boot into the
>>> admin account fine, but now trying to switch accounts to the user one
>>> just returns to the Accounts pref pane.
>>> Any clues?
>>
>> The clues are likely to be in the system.log, which you can see using
>> Console.app.
>>
>> Why does his disk need repairing? Is the disk about to die?
>
> His was a typo - should have read 'this'

:-)

> I was watching an interesting video on the importance of backing up
> video files which ran the battery down to nothing and the MacBook shut
> down. When I plugged it in and restarted the Apple logo and spinning
> cog appeared as normal but then just a blue screen getting brighter
> and darker. Several tries ended up in this state.
>
> I started up from a Snow Leopard disc and ran Disk Utility which
> reported a few problems which it claimed to have fixed. A reboot got
> to the Accounts panel and it's working fine in the Administrator
> account. Switching to my user account just bounces back to the
> Accounts pref pane after entering the correct password.

If it boots reliably from DVD, then it almost certain your hard disk is
knackered. Do you have one of the Macbooks which has easily swapped
hard disks?

--
Chris