From: Ben Myers on

Went to do a memory upgrade of an Optiplex 330 yesterday. I took along
three tested matched pairs of PC2-5300 memory, the type the spec calls
for. The memory in the computer originally is the same speed. The
computer rejected all three sets of memory, halting the system with the
message that the computer does not support memory at that speed.

Picky? ... Ben Myers
From: Christopher Muto on
Ben Myers wrote:

> Went to do a memory upgrade of an Optiplex 330 yesterday. I took along
> three tested matched pairs of PC2-5300 memory, the type the spec calls
> for. The memory in the computer originally is the same speed. The
> computer rejected all three sets of memory, halting the system with the
> message that the computer does not support memory at that speed.
>
> Picky? ... Ben Myers

yes, it is picky about memory. i recall getting two identical optiplex
330 machine when the first came out and wanted to take the memory from
one to install in the other and it refused to accept it. identical
memory from the same dell shipment. each module worked individually in
either slot but refuse to work when both installed in the system at the
same time. dell offered to replace the motherboard. i have heard
similar stories over the years regarding the 330 and dell offering to
replace the motherboard. seems like there is something they are not
telling us. i would suggest a firmware update to see if it helps as
well as trying each module separately in each of the slots and if it
still does not work then call dell for a replacement motherboard - any
of these should still be covered under the default three year warranty.
From: Ben Myers on
On 2/3/2010 8:14 PM, Christopher Muto wrote:
> Ben Myers wrote:
>>
>> Went to do a memory upgrade of an Optiplex 330 yesterday. I took along
>> three tested matched pairs of PC2-5300 memory, the type the spec calls
>> for. The memory in the computer originally is the same speed. The
>> computer rejected all three sets of memory, halting the system with
>> the message that the computer does not support memory at that speed.
>>
>> Picky? ... Ben Myers
>
> yes, it is picky about memory. i recall getting two identical optiplex
> 330 machine when the first came out and wanted to take the memory from
> one to install in the other and it refused to accept it. identical
> memory from the same dell shipment. each module worked individually in
> either slot but refuse to work when both installed in the system at the
> same time. dell offered to replace the motherboard. i have heard similar
> stories over the years regarding the 330 and dell offering to replace
> the motherboard. seems like there is something they are not telling us.
> i would suggest a firmware update to see if it helps as well as trying
> each module separately in each of the slots and if it still does not
> work then call dell for a replacement motherboard - any of these should
> still be covered under the default three year warranty.

Thanks for the reply, Christopher. I thought that I remembered seeing
something about this.

The client has been living with a 1GB system, and they will continue to
do so, but it is noticeably sluggish compared to the other 3 systems,
all of which have 2GB. All running XP. Next time I do a service call,
I'll update the BIOS and see what happens. Even with Dell service under
warranty, I doubt if they would like the disruption in their retail
operation. I usually come in to do the work late, just before closing,
when the store is not busy. Except for emergencies, of course, when I
grab my fireman's hat, slide down the pole into my pants and boots, grab
my trusty USB flash stick, and roar on over there... Ben Myers
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> I doubt if they would like the disruption in their retail
> operation.

Got any loaner PCs? (I keep a bunch of older systems around that still
do the job in case someone needs them. Especially if it's likely to be
a Pain. They're the best thing I ever invested in.)

> Except for emergencies, of course, when I grab my fireman's
> hat, slide down the pole into my pants and boots, grab
> my trusty USB flash stick, and roar on over there... Ben Myers

That's got to be *some* computer workshop you have! <g>

William
From: Ben Myers on
On 2/4/2010 11:08 AM, William R. Walsh wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> I doubt if they would like the disruption in their retail
>> operation.
>
> Got any loaner PCs? (I keep a bunch of older systems around that still
> do the job in case someone needs them. Especially if it's likely to be
> a Pain. They're the best thing I ever invested in.)
>
>> Except for emergencies, of course, when I grab my fireman's
>> hat, slide down the pole into my pants and boots, grab
>> my trusty USB flash stick, and roar on over there... Ben Myers
>
> That's got to be *some* computer workshop you have!<g>
>
> William

I have loaner systems, but not any Optiplex 330s. The loaner system is
one thing. All their software is something else.

They'll probably put up with the system running 1GB of memory. It not
TOO slow, but it is slower than the other point-of-sale system at the
counter, so the people behind the counter tend to use the faster system
until there is a rush with two lines of customer forming behind each system.

If an Optiplex 330 shows up on my doorstep, I can offer to do a swap,
either temporary or permanent, to deal with the memory problem. But I'm
not going to throw a lot of money after one at this time.

You wouldn't believe the computer workshop here... Ben
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Dell's Driver Site
Next: Dell Studio 17 laptop in India