From: Chuck on
Anyone here running a production Oracle Linux environment on vmware? I'm
curious of how your experience with it has been. What platforms have you
used? Has the technology worked well for you or have there been serious
problems? What about support issues since vmware is not an officially
supported virtualization technology according to Oracle support.

I've already read the vmware sales stuff. I'm interested in hearing real
world experiences.

TIA.
From: John Hurley on
Chuck;

> Anyone here running a production Oracle Linux environment on vmware? I'm
> curious of how your experience with it has been. What platforms have you
> used? Has the technology worked well for you or have there been serious
> problems? What about support issues since vmware is not an officially
> supported virtualization technology according to Oracle support.
>
> I've already read the vmware sales stuff. I'm interested in hearing real
> world experiences.

Lots of people now running on linux in my area and within my local
Oracle user group.

Not aware of anyone running a production system here yet in a vm type
of environment.
From: The Boss on
John Hurley wrote:
> Chuck;
>
>> Anyone here running a production Oracle Linux environment on vmware?
>> I'm curious of how your experience with it has been. What platforms
>> have you used? Has the technology worked well for you or have there
>> been serious problems? What about support issues since vmware is not
>> an officially supported virtualization technology according to
>> Oracle support.
>>
>> I've already read the vmware sales stuff. I'm interested in hearing
>> real world experiences.
>
> Lots of people now running on linux in my area and within my local
> Oracle user group.
>
> Not aware of anyone running a production system here yet in a vm type
> of environment.

We've been running production systems with Linux (SLES) in a virtualised
environment for 5-6 years now.
Not on VMware though but on zVM (IBM zSeries mainframe), which is fully
supported.
We've had our fair share of issues, none of them directly related to the
virtualisation.

--
Jeroen

From: Shakespeare on
Op 24-5-2010 20:26, Chuck schreef:
> Anyone here running a production Oracle Linux environment on vmware? I'm
> curious of how your experience with it has been. What platforms have you
> used? Has the technology worked well for you or have there been serious
> problems? What about support issues since vmware is not an officially
> supported virtualization technology according to Oracle support.
>
> I've already read the vmware sales stuff. I'm interested in hearing real
> world experiences.
>
> TIA.

One note: running Oracle on vmware may have serious consequences for
your licenses. Suppose you run a virtual machine with one virtual CPU on
a dual quad core server, then you'll have to license the whole server
(so all 8 cores). Named User Plus (NU+) licenses may circumvent this,
but will have consequences on the minimum required licenses (25 per CPU
for enterprise edition, 100 for a dual quad core server). Even worse: if
you use a vmware farm with vmotion, you have to license the whole farm.

This is not the case for so called 'hard partioning' (according to
Oracle) like IBM lpar or Oracle VM.

We run Oracle on vmware (with NU+) on SLES, with no problems at all.

Shakespeare
From: Jeremy on
In article <htegd4$pc4$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, chuckh1958
_nospam(a)gmail.com says...

> Anyone here running a production Oracle Linux environment on vmware? I'm
> curious of how your experience with it has been. What platforms have you
> used? Has the technology worked well for you or have there been serious
> problems? What about support issues since vmware is not an officially
> supported virtualization technology according to Oracle support.
>
> I've already read the vmware sales stuff. I'm interested in hearing real
> world experiences.
>
> TIA.

Been running 10g Standard on VMWARE production for 2 years on RHEL4. We
have had no issues at all and have to provide 24x7 service.

--
jeremy